Hope My Chicks Make It!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-30-2006, 02:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
After being gone for three days visiting family, we were very upset tonight (Monday night) to listen to a message on our machine. It was a post office from over an hour away telling us our 80 baby chicks were sitting there and if we didn't pick them up (this was Saturday) we would not be able to get them at our local post office until Tuesday since Mon. was Memorial Day. We knew that they would be coming but not on Saturday! We ordered from Murray McMurray and they said chicks come on either Sunday, Monday, or Tuesday. I don't know why they even mention Sunday because we have to pick them up at the post office. We knew the mail does not go on Memorial Day either so we figured they wouldn't be sent out until Tuesday. Who would send out chicks that would sit for two days at the post office? Guess we were wrong. Now I feel so bad for going out of town and not being here for the call but first they were not supposed to be shipped that early and second they weren't even at our post office. I just feel so bad for the chicks and am wondering if they are even alive. With the long weekend why would have they sent them when they did? If they don't make it will we be refunded? I'm so upset and so scared to go to the post office tomorrow to see the condition of the chicks. Just had to vent my frustration! Wether the chicks are ok or not, I plan on calling McMurray and asking why in the heck they sent them when the did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2006, 02:51 AM
nym

that totally sucks! I hope your little chicks are okay!
Old 05-30-2006, 09:13 AM

Chicks can live two days after hatching without food and water because they draw the yolk from their eggs into their abdomens before they hatch and survive off of it.

You need to open the box at a post office to have them confirm any dead chicks so you can report to McMurray and get refunded or get replacements. When you get them home and put them in the brooder immediately drip each chick's beak in water- make sure their chick waterer and feeder is full in the brooder and you have the heat lamp/s on already so they are warm.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:27 AM

I hope everything turns out okay:
Old 05-30-2006, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

We picked the chicks up this morning - all are drinking, eating, and doing great. They are amazing little creatures to have sat for three days in a little box and be doing so great. We really wish they would have waited to send them since it was a long Holiday weekend but at least they all seem to be doing well. According to McMurrays website, adding sugar to the water should also give them a little boost.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:23 PM

I'm so glad they are okay!
Despite what some groups say, the mortality rate for shipping chicks is very low. I have never had a shipping loss and, I'm now glad too know that if they are ever delayed they will probably be okay.
Thanks for sharing! And good luck!
Old 05-30-2006, 02:40 PM

I read this earlier but didn't have time to post...I'm glad they're all doing well!

Homesteading Mama to homeschoolin' kiddos London (10) ; Alexander (8) :; Holden (5) :; and Sergei born at home 8/18/08
Old 05-30-2006, 05:32 PM
nym

awesome! Glad for you and your little chicks! :
Old 05-31-2006, 08:14 PM

Thanks for sharing your story...something to keep in mind when I order our chicks...I am so happy that they are well!!! Jennifer

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

Old 06-01-2006, 04:29 PM

I'm so glad that your chicks are doing well. How nerve wracking that must've been!

Liz~A wife and homeschooling mother to two gifts from God!
Old 06-01-2006, 09:17 PM

I'm so glad they are ok! I would have been quite worried, too, even though I know they can live that long ok....Add 1/3 cup sugar to 1 gallon of water...I order mine from there, too, and have never had any losses from shipping. We lose one chick to natural causes each year, though.

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

User Tag List