Black widows EVERYWHERE! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 05-31-2006, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What can I do? They are not hiding anymore. I have to inspect the patio where ds's toys are every morning to kill new ones that have made their webs on his stuff. I think I killed about 10 yesterday, on his stuff, the trash can, the corner of the front door, around potted plants, and the last straw was on a beet leaf in my garden! I woke up wondering what you really do for black widow bites, just straight to the ER I guess. I am thinking of spraying the perimeter of the house, I really don't want them coming inside. But do you have any suggestions for the rest of the yard? I am infested with them. Seriously, if I see a web outside right now, 8 times out of 10 it is a b.w. I feel like I am in the movie arachnaphobia!!! Help! Please???
#2 of 22 Old 05-31-2006, 05:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Widows are attracted to safe, dark places. If you remove what attracts them, you won't have them. Time for spring cleaning, lol!

We sprayed a stone wall in the yard that was infested and they seem to have left that

The bomb and the spray we have is suppose to kill black windows

didn't find much...searched online....bombs? sprays? huh....

Jessica, wife to Mark, homeschooling mama to Micah (2006), Noah (2009), Owen (2012) and another on the way this August (20014)
#3 of 22 Old 05-31-2006, 10:44 PM

Bless your heart. My dad had them at his house, too. He smashed every one he saw.
I am not really sure what to tell you to do, keep researching. Just wanted you to know others go through it, too.
#4 of 22 Old 06-02-2006, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, after much searching, apparently the find and smash method is the only one... And getting rid of as many hiding spots as possible. I didn't think we had many places for them to hide, but I guess they think differently! Oh well, I was hoping there was some easy solution I was just missing!
#5 of 22 Old 06-02-2006, 01:54 PM

Quote:
What can I do?
MOVE!

My parents live in AZ, mom took a master gardening class and besides smashing I guess WD40 sprayed on them does kill them. Dad goes on a daily hunt and kill of the things : They come out when its dark so dad armed with a flashlight goes a looking...

I'd move, the though of living with that many poisonous things is too much for me. The part of Idaho I live in doea have a few things but fortunately not many
#6 of 22 Old 06-04-2006, 10:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
dot2dot, what state do you live in? Im terrified of the day I see one.
#7 of 22 Old 06-04-2006, 10:26 PM

Has there been recent construction in your area? Trees cut down? An unkempt property nearby?

My friend got them really badly when they cut down a huge area of trees behind his house to build a subdivision. We went over to visit him and there were six on the underside of the house (the house had a small overhang above the foundation) just in the ten feet from the garage to the front door. They were from Peurto Rico and had no clue that they were poisonous. They even had one they were keeping as a housepet!!

We quickly informed him that they were very poisonous and went on a killing spree. He said they stopped coming after he sprayed the perimeter of his house with almost straight diazinon...SOOOOOO not NFL so I can't help you with solutions.

Squish the evil creatures!!!

Monica - single mama to DS nono02.gifand DD blowkiss.gif

#8 of 22 Old 06-05-2006, 12:43 AM

Are you in AZ too? We have the same problem. It drives DH crazy. He goes out with a flashlight every night and hunts them down. I'm thinking about having him take DS's net, catch them, and putting them in jar and try different essential oils and stuff on them. See what works. :
#9 of 22 Old 06-05-2006, 08:35 AM

I'm betting if you put them in a jar together they'd kill each other until there was just one spider left. They're territorial.

I would DIE if I had to look at a jar full of spiders. I'd seriously have nightmares forever. I hate them that much.
#10 of 22 Old 06-05-2006, 02:45 PM

OH MY, you are brave even to be able to post this.
#11 of 22 Old 06-05-2006, 03:07 PM

wow...I'm suddenly very thankful to live in a freezing cold climate.
#12 of 22 Old 06-05-2006, 03:12 PM

I would seriously move.

I saw a black widow once when I was camping in the rockies and I am still traumatized.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#13 of 22 Old 06-05-2006, 03:50 PM

I'm looking too. Like the OP we have them everywhere. I'm waiting for an exterminator to call back, but we ave well water so I do not know if poisons outside would leach into our water.
#14 of 22 Old 06-05-2006, 03:50 PM

I'm looking too. Like the OP we have them everywhere. I'm waiting for an exterminator to call back, but we ave well water so I do not know if poisons outside would leach into our water.
#15 of 22 Old 06-05-2006, 04:14 PM

we have them here.. its vegas, they love it here apprantly. The only thing that seems to have helped IMO was to get rid of their food... so we try to get rid of the other little bugs in the back yard and so far we havent seen as many of them this year. They freak me out but are not aggressive.. they usually run and hide lol.
#16 of 22 Old 06-06-2006, 03:22 PM

I keep checking back, it is like I can't stay away from this post. I am so scared of spiders!
#17 of 22 Old 06-06-2006, 03:30 PM

We have brown recluses here.. black widows sound even scarier!
#18 of 22 Old 06-06-2006, 06:58 PM

I'm waiting to make sure you don't live in California :
#19 of 22 Old 06-07-2006, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca
I'm betting if you put them in a jar together they'd kill each other until there was just one spider left. They're territorial.

I would DIE if I had to look at a jar full of spiders. I'd seriously have nightmares forever. I hate them that much.
I wasn't going to put them in the jar together

They are territorial though, but the babies seem to be able to run around near each other and not fight. They make mini-webs under the ledge of our pool decking.

I'm thinking if I get some rosemary, garlic, basil and a couple other EO's, there's bound to be one that they hate. Most bugs are driven completely mad by at least one herb. So I'll find out which one, dilute it, and cover my whole house in it. The neighbors will love me, right?:
#20 of 22 Old 06-07-2006, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Wow! I had forgotten to come back to this thread! I am so glad I am not alone in dealing with bw's. Sorry to disappoint, Mom2JandG, I am indeed in CA. Black widows like it here (south and central at least!) I did call some pest control companies and they will spray the perimeter of the house but that is all they offer. One man I talked to cracked me up, though. He seriously sounded exactly like the steriotypical Dracula from Transylvania. In his super heavy deep dracula accent, he said "All vee can do is spray dem. Den, dey vill die." You have to really draw out the word "die" to get the full effect. I almost started laughing on the phone because it sounded like a joke. Another place suggested I call an agricultural co. that might spray the whole yard... yeah, that is what I want my little guys crawling around on. :

So I am still squishing. Apparently it is working, because they are not nearly as numerous as they were. At least their webs are really easy to identify (no real spider pattern, and super strong silk) so it is easy to avoid them if you do see it. I also read up on how to treat bites (ice pack, at/above heart level). From what I read, it is really rare to die from a bite, but obviously it is more serious with little ones so I would go to the hospital.

I am interested to see how the EO experiment goes... if you need any test subjects... lol

Quote:
They were from Peurto Rico and had no clue that they were poisonous. They even had one they were keeping as a housepet!!
Eeeck! I can't imagine!!!
#21 of 22 Old 06-07-2006, 04:49 PM

bw's are not as bad as brown recluse spiders (i know i misspelled that). they are just uglier and at least you can tell when they are about...unlike br's.
good luck!
#22 of 22 Old 06-09-2006, 12:18 AM

Please someone tell me that neither nasty spider can live in NH??? I'll just DIE if I see one. Gawd, I hate spiders.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page