goat advice - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-06-2006, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Would like to have one or two dairy goats, but we do not have fencing. We were wondering about other possible ideas (other than letting them roam free). Any advice? Thanks!

Kristen, married to Dh since 1995, Mom of 4 hatchlings chicken3.gif
Doula baby.gif

#2 of 7 Old 06-06-2006, 01:48 PM

I have successfully kept one goat without goat fencing, but the catch is the goat was extremely attached to my horses and would not leave their pasture, even though it could just walk under the horse fence whenever it wanted to. I never had luck with a tether system. My nanny goat would just drag the tether weight with her when she wanted to move. She was very determined, even when we used a heavier weight! When I had multiple goats I found I needed stock fence to keep them corralled as they tended to wander where I didn't want them to go, in the veg. and flower gardens, etc. I am currently goatless but have been wanting to get some more. Will have to look into some fencing options though as I don't know if I can train another goat to stay with the horses. Good luck!
#3 of 7 Old 06-06-2006, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Have you ever heard of possibly doing what you would for a large dog and stake them on a rather large leashing and let them roam around that way, but kinda tied down? I know they have very long leashes these days?

Doula baby.gif

#4 of 7 Old 06-07-2006, 10:10 AM

I've never seen this done, but guess it could work so long as the goat(s) don't get all tangled up in the line and you keep moving the tether so they have fresh grass. Being tied could prevent them from running from predators, so be watchful if you have coyotes or bears in your area. A bear killed one of our goats two years ago.
#5 of 7 Old 06-07-2006, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Bears! WOW!
We live in Illinois. No bears here, but we do get coyotes once in awhile. We could put the goats in the barn at night. Then they can be kept safer. Would raccoons be harmful to them?

Doula baby.gif

#6 of 7 Old 06-07-2006, 04:04 PM

Racoons won't hurt a goat (unless rabid, but that's anything). Mostly it's just the large predators you have to worry about. We used to have a goat that was tethered using a heavy chain attached to a t-post. Every so often we'd take the t-post and move it to give her fresh graze and a change of pace. It should work for only 2 goats. If they have a night barn to go into that should be fine. If you use this method, just remember not to drive the t-post in too deep or it'll be hard to get back out to move around.

LeBoof
#7 of 7 Old 06-08-2006, 10:45 AM

We have a couple of pygmy goats that are 2 1/2 months old. We made a square pen for them. It's got some less durable fencing that came in a roll that's 4 feet tall. Then around that we used some old 3 feet panels of sturdy fencing. To keep the neighbor's dogs away we also put a single strand of electric fencing about 12 inches from the ground.

During the day we stake the goats out provided that we're home and keeping an eye on them. Sometimes my ds will spring them free and they wander around our place. They're pretty much like pets to us though so they usually stick pretty close to our house or shop.

The last few days we have had a problem w/the smaller goat getting loose. It usually happens in the middle of the afternoon when she's really looking for some attention. She'll be in her pen and she escapes. Yesterday I finally saw how she does it. She literally JUMPS over the 4 foot fence. She crashes the electric fence down and lands w/a thump!! It's bizarre. I had no idea such a little goat could do such a thing.

I guess if our neighbor's dogs wanted to get in they would. Same w/the coyotes in our area. We have a large wooden cupoula (thing on top of barns...not sure how to spell it). The goats tuck under there to get out of the sun or when they need some peace and quiet.

We also have had some large birds circle the goat's pen. We believe one was an eagle and one a hawk. Both times the birds circle and call out. The goats hightail it under their shelter!

Liz~A wife and homeschooling mother to two gifts from God!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page