Oh no! Birds nest...help!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-06-2006, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We just moved to our new home and I was doing some clearing. We have these small pine trees that are growing all over the yard, so I've been slowly clearing them to get to the stone walls surrounding the property.

Well, I was clearing today and got to a tree that had a bird's nest in it. It's very small, but there are 4 little birds in there, just starting to feather. I feel so horrible I cleared all the trees in front of that one, so there's nothing protecting that tree anymore. I don't even know why I happened to look up, but I did. The nest is about 3-4 feet up from the ground.

I'm so afraid that the mother is not going to go back to the nest. Do you think she will abandon them? How can I tell if she's been to feed them, etc.? I don't want them to die!!

What a horrible thing I've done...all for a better view

Please help!

Mama to DD 06' Partner to Sasa
#2 of 5 Old 06-06-2006, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Please? Anyone have any advice?

#3 of 5 Old 06-06-2006, 06:53 PM

Any idea what kind of birds? I have a robins nest in my rhodie and I poked in there the entire time the eggs were hatching and the babies were there, etc and the mother never abandoned them. In fact when I came by and poked my nose in mommy and daddy bird would squak at me.

The robins only take about 2 weeks from hatching to fly away, so chances are the birdies will be out of your tree soon anyway. (I'm just guessing other birds might be similar)

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#4 of 5 Old 06-06-2006, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

Oh thank you so much for replying! I have been so worried.

I think they are chickadees. They are small brown birds. I've been watching all afternoon from inside and, what I think is the mother, has been flying into the tree.

I'm more worried about the fact that I took down all the trees around them that were protecting the nest. I'm hoping they can stay warm enough.

Thanks again for replying!!!

#5 of 5 Old 06-07-2006, 08:57 AM

They should be fine, especially since you are still seeing the parents coming to feed them. Baby birds grow up so quickly- in another week or two they will be fledging and fluttering around your yard learning to fly.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page