Differences between Organic store milk, raw cows milk and raw goats milk - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-03-2006, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Not sure where to post this, but I thought maybe you could help me out. DH and I are talking of buying land and raising our own chickens (for eggs and possibly meat) and goats or cows (for mik).

What I wonder, though, is the taste. I've been buying organic milk, which tastes a good bit different to me than the non-organic milk. A few days ago, I made organic butter for the first time, which tastes a lot different than the non-organic butter that I made (which tastes different from the store butter I bought).

So I figure that raw cows milk will taste different, yet. Anyone want to take a shot at trying to describe the difference? I've also been reading that cows are pretty expensive and that goats might be a better route to at least start out with. I've never had goats milk. How does goats milk compare to cow's milk? What about in baking/cooking? Does it change the flavor of the food?

I know taste can be rather subjective, but if you have an opinion, I'd love to hear it.

TIA!
Carrie
#2 of 5 Old 08-03-2006, 10:42 AM

Raw milk from your own cow is better then any milk out there. Its creamy and sweet and alive. Hard to describe. I can't even tolerate the smell of store milk anymore, let alone drinking it. I've never had goats milk. Some people love it, others can't stand the taste. I've heard it depends a lot on the breed and family lines of the goat and that the milk taste is very sensitive to the goats diet and surroundings.
#3 of 5 Old 08-03-2006, 11:03 AM

Hi. I'll continue advocating for goats (since I seem to be doing that a lot here lately)
Goat milk does have a bit of a different taste than cow's milk. Maybe not quite as sweet, for one thing. We keep our milk super cold so I don't really notice much a goaty flavor (it's like what you taste when you eat chevre [made from goat's milk]). After about a week, pasteurized goat milk does get that goaty flavor and raw milk seems to get it after 3 days or so.
I think the biggest difference between milk from various sources (but the same type of animal) is what the animal is eating...you may be noticing the differences between grass fed and grain fed dairy animals.
The other differences between goat and cow milk seems to stem from the size of the fat globules (smaller in goat milk, which makes it more digestable). This makes it harder to make butter out of goats milk and the butter is softer. Other differences in how you make cheese out of goat milk, but I won't get into that now.
#4 of 5 Old 08-05-2006, 12:28 AM

Raw cow milk tastes... cleaner, fresher. Once you taste it you might wonder how you ever drank processed milk. (I grew up on raw milk fresh from our cows and it was good. Everyone who came to visit wanted to drink the fresh milk).

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#5 of 5 Old 08-05-2006, 12:05 PM

We have had raw milk from both cows and goats. We prefer goats milk just because it is easier on our stomachs and for us goats are easier to keep than a cow (we are limited on space). Plus we have our two little guys running around, I'm not worried about them getting stepped on by our goat. Last week my parents came to visit. I had bought some organic cows milk for them, not sure if they'd want raw goats milk. They were fine with it so I had them sample both to see if they could guess which was which. My dad could tell slightly by the taste and my mom actually chose the wrong one, so for us with our goats, there really isn't a real big difference in taste. We always chill the milk in an ice bucket or freezer asap and drink it with in a couple days. I've never notice a goaty taste. Having no billy goat around your milkers also helps to not get an off taste with your milk.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page