Anyone Live In A Co-housing or Eco-Village Community? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 5 Old 08-03-2006, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DH and I are informally looking into these options. We are frustrated of being surrounded by wasteful consummerists (is that really a word?) with no thought or foresight at least trying to be respectful to our Earth. I admit I am not perfect, but I know I can do better if I am with a community of people whose beliefs and vision is similar.

There is one group trying to start an Eco-Village in NJ, but it might be too, restrictive for my 'Crunchy Conservative' hubby.

Would you please share your story?

Waldorf mama to 5yo b/g twins
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 08-05-2006, 05:37 PM

I lived in an intentional community where we all had small homes with no plumming but shared a few common spaces. The focus there was permaculture and awakening of consciousness.

What is interesting is that people are people wherever you go. Yes, it is nice to live in a place where people share simmilar values but there is no less conflict or drama, perhaps more.

I was checking out Ithaca's ecovillage and was a bit shocked that the homes were only meant to be about 30% more efficient than regular homes when homes can clearly be much more efficient than that. There are ecovillages and co-housing opportunities all over the country/world. I think it is a great thing that more people are thinking about living like this.

If I were going to go back into this way of living, I would want to be somewhere that either was very self-contained (ordered food, had schooling options, etc.) or was very near to a town so that these things could happen. I think most ecovillages considder these things because it wouldn't be very eco if you had to drive everywhere really far.

Anyhow, good luck with your decision.
#3 of 5 Old 08-06-2006, 12:55 PM

We are a developing eco village located in south louisiana, which might be quite a different planet from were you are now, but we are welcoming new members at this time.
We are a goup of about 11 people so far, we've been together for 2 years now, an just formaly purchased 43 acres of former pasteur land with about 5 acres of woods.
We plan to start building our houses in the fall.
Our focus is on sustainabiliy, lessening our impact on the earth using permaculture design, rain water collection, solar, composting faciluties and so much more. It is going to be such an amzing communtiy it already is but we have so much growing to do.
We have a web site if you are interested, it is new and will be updated quite frequently livingjourney.org
There is also an intentional communtiy directory online if you just google those key words it will show up.

#4 of 5 Old 08-09-2006, 11:03 AM

I don't have any direct experience, but there's an ecologically-minded co-housing community in my city that I've heard good things about. One of the mamas in our local AP playgroup lives there and raves about it. Here's a link.

My city leans a little more conservative than the norm, so it might suit your DH better.
#5 of 5 Old 08-10-2006, 03:47 AM

You can go here to search for communities all over the world.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page