How Much Does Demolition Cost? Mainly of a Barn! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 08-26-2006, 12:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are in the midst of buying a house but the buildings (beside the house) are pretty unsafe. The home inspector said that the barn, a huge barn, would have to come down or be made more stable. He said just to make the structure safe, would cost 5 to 10 thousand dollars! Does anyone know how much to get a barn demolished and hauled away? It is roughly 70x80 feet or so. If anyone has any estimates of even smalle jobs just to give us an idea. We really like this house, but something has to be done with it because we cannot and will not have a hazardous and dangerous building with our little boy growing up. Can anyone help. We have to make a claim to the seller and we want to know how much it would cost to do this or have him do it but it we have to reply soon! Anyone Help Please!!!!!

Jessica, wife to Mark, homeschooling mama to Micah (2006), Noah (2009), Owen (2012) and another on the way this August (20014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 18 Old 08-26-2006, 09:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
First, I would get a few other opinions on the barn. There are lots of people out there that run companies to restore old barns. A big barn is a wonderful thing to have for any animals you might want in the future, storage, etc. And to build a new barn would also cost thousands.

If it is beyond repair and its old (wooden) there are also a lot of people who would take it down for free or very little cost if they can have the wood from it.
#3 of 18 Old 08-26-2006, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

I don't know...it may be beyond repair. I'm not sure. The inspector said that it could last another 5 years or it could come crashing down at any moment : I just can't have a barn like that on the property with children. You can tell them to stay out, but that doesn't mean they will! I can just picture my dad as a little boy...no way he would have stayed out of this barn. It is just too cool inside!
The inspector said in his report that high winds could knock it down. I also don't want to be left with a pile of rubble that I can't afford to get taken away.
I wouldn't mind having it repaired if I knew it would be done well. Overall, I like the barn. Just not sure if this guy would try to repair it himself quickly and do a shabby job. Maybe we could request that if he chose to repair it, it would have to pass a safety inspection? We were also told in the report that not only do the walls need to be stabalized but the entire (HUGE) roof will need to be replaced to make it safe. Yikes.
If he/we choose to have it torn down....who are these wonderful people who would do it for free? We would gladly give them the wood for their labors.

Thanks for the post so far!

Jessica, wife to Mark, homeschooling mama to Micah (2006), Noah (2009), Owen (2012) and another on the way this August (20014)
#4 of 18 Old 08-26-2006, 12:07 PM

Did you put any conditions on your bid based on the home inspection? You could ask the seller to remove it or reduce the asking price. Ask your realtor.

Many people want old barn boards. Put an add in local papers and on outlets like freecycle or craigslist advertising the boards as long as they tear down the whole structure.
#5 of 18 Old 08-26-2006, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

we did not have anything saying we couldn't ask for it to be removed. We are going to ask it be removed. He can say no, then we would have to decide do we still want the house. Also, we don't know how much to make him take off of the price becuase we don't know how much it would be. We also don't know if for sure we could find someone to do it for free. We are definately going to ask to have it removed though.

#6 of 18 Old 08-26-2006, 01:33 PM

Here's another thought- if its in really bad shape and not much can be salvaged from it a lot of fire departments will burn it down as a training exercise. That would leave minimal rubble.

I will say that at least here in Ohio there are barns all over the place that look like a stiff breeze will knock them down- roof nearly gone, walls with massive holes, etc. and they have been that way for decades. Kinda sad, actually, when you think of the hard work that went into that barn to build it (mainly by hand) and the pride that farmer must have felt and the generations of livestock and people that lived and worked in it.
#7 of 18 Old 08-26-2006, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

not a bad idea. We are going to look into that. Thanks! (fire dept)

#8 of 18 Old 08-28-2006, 09:57 AM

There are people all over the country who would KILL to have old barn wood for their historical restoration projects. And also those building bran frame homes.

You really should look into some of the barn companies b/c many would tkae that barn away for you piece by piece FOR FREE and many will PAY YOU for the wood. What you have is very valuable - use it!

check out these resources...

www.thebarnpeople.com

and for more reading
http://www.thebarnjournal.org/

Mama to Zach 6-18-04 & Naia 10-13-10 Partner to the sweetest DH. Loving our life afloat. TV Free!
#9 of 18 Old 08-29-2006, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pygmywombat
Here's another thought- if its in really bad shape and not much can be salvaged from it a lot of fire departments will burn it down as a training exercise. That would leave minimal rubble.
Yep, controlled burns are excellent for fire departments. Definitely check on that. FYI, they tend to draw a crowd. Maybe you could sell snacks?
#10 of 18 Old 08-29-2006, 12:31 AM

Even Freecycle might be worth trying!!!!

Who stole my signature!
#11 of 18 Old 08-29-2006, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destinye
Even Freecycle might be worth trying!!!!
Yeah, just make sure you don't have someone thinking they are picking up a toy barn for their kid.
#12 of 18 Old 08-29-2006, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayndrewsmama
Yeah, just make sure you don't have someone thinking they are picking up a toy barn for their kid.
LOL thats true - but they would probably take it anyhow hehe

When we gave our dog run away before moving the lady was drooling over our bran fixtures and we gave her some, I know she would have taken the whole barn if it was not sold already!

Who stole my signature!
#13 of 18 Old 08-29-2006, 12:47 AM

RE: Fire Department...

We had a couple in our neighborhood do that (to the entire house and barn). After the fire department is done you have an inspector come out and tell you how much it would be to fix the damage, and you can then write off that amount on your taxes... your realtor or lawyer and CPA can give you more information on that.

Is the barn post and beam construction? If so, you can repair it fairly easily, and could probably do most of the work yourself.

However, I do understand-- we have a barn that needs serious repair (although ours is not in any danger of harming our children and is still usable as a horse barn) and no one is going to pay us money for it...the siding is rotted in many places.

A roll off (dumpster) is usually a few hundred dollars- you can take the barn down yourselves for the cheapest route, or hire construction workers to help you.

The most expensive option would of course be to hire a demo contractor and you should be able to call them and get quotes (even though you don't actually own the property yet).

Wishing you luck and I hope the property turns out to be exactly what you want!
#14 of 18 Old 08-29-2006, 09:51 PM

We demolished a rickety rotten 30x40 wood barn at the same time as we built a lake on our farm. The bulldozer guys just dug a hole, pushed it over and set it on fire. It burned for 8 hours and the next day they covered over the pit of remaining nails and roofing with soil. If you lived in a wildfire risk area I would get permits and involve the fire department- but we did not need to do that here. They also pushed over a dead tree by the house. The next day we had a huge storm and it was the first time I ever slept soundly through a storm not worrying that the barn was going to fall on the horses or the tree on the house. It was no big deal but I had stressed so much about it. The cost was factored into the lake job- but did not take more than two hours of work from them.
#15 of 18 Old 08-31-2006, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrose_lee
We are in the midst of buying a house but the buildings (beside the house) are pretty unsafe. The home inspector said that the barn, a huge barn, would have to come down or be made more stable. He said just to make the structure safe, would cost 5 to 10 thousand dollars! Does anyone know how much to get a barn demolished and hauled away? It is roughly 70x80 feet or so. If anyone has any estimates of even smalle jobs just to give us an idea. We really like this house, but something has to be done with it because we cannot and will not have a hazardous and dangerous building with our little boy growing up. Can anyone help. We have to make a claim to the seller and we want to know how much it would cost to do this or have him do it but it we have to reply soon! Anyone Help Please!!!!!

Subbing --

We are in the exact same position...

Molly, mama to my 3 sweet boys.
: : hale:
#16 of 18 Old 09-02-2006, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
THere are companies that will pay you or at least not charge you to dismantle the barn and sell the old wood. Lots of high-end homebuilders want the old, rustic look you can't get with new materials. Make a bunch of phone calls and see. I know there's a company in VT that does it, but I have no idea what their name is. I learned about them by watching the documentary 'Blue Vinyl' about how horrid the plastics industry. If you have netflix be sure to watch it. It's pretty funny as well as informing.
#17 of 18 Old 09-04-2006, 01:32 PM

There absolutely are people/companies that will buy the barn boards for you - and demolish the barn in the process. We've been approached twice by these companies wanting to take our beautiful old barn - but they're not having it
#18 of 18 Old 09-05-2006, 09:50 PM

An architectural salvage place may take the barn down for you for the salvage. Look in the phone book.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page