yurt living? - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#151 of 158 Old 11-16-2008, 09:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Humidity over 80% RH will damage wood, cloth, just about anything (mold!) If you live in a rainforest, you need water resistant walls - thats all.

My yurt-dweling friends do it just for a few weeks at a time. The roof assemblies are really easy to make (bicycle rims are a popular center at Burning Man I believe). The walls take a lot of drilling and many stainless steel bolt sets. I think a permanent build on those would not be so bad.

One builder I spoke with (http://www.yurts-r-us.com/?) said that over 30 feet you need a crane to install the roof. I saw his big traveling yurt, a 30 footer I believe and it was super! If the web site pricing is still current, the 30 footer fully loaded is less than $10K. What a deal!
#152 of 158 Old 11-17-2008, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddysMom View Post
Just wanted to add that building a soild wall yurt yourself is cheaper than buy one from Pacific. Thats what really made us decide to build. Good luck
I am definitely interested in the solid wall yurts for snowy weather here in the NE..have you started building your yurt yet? what part of the country are you in?

is everyone off grid here? :

ETA- I see your blog link AddysMom (awesome!!!!)

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#153 of 158 Old 04-30-2009, 01:36 PM

Anybody know where to find used yurts? We are in the process of buying land and really want to live off grid and would love a yurt...

Tara - nurse and wife to a nurse, mama to four, Izak (7/28/99), Liam (9/25/06), Freya (5/28/08) and Luna (5/19/10)
#154 of 158 Old 05-03-2009, 09:00 PM

So much amazing information here, I had to make an account to talk to you wonderful people! I read here that one of the posters built a yurt with hardwood, and was wondering if they could elaborate more on what they used to build it and maby might have some images?
#155 of 158 Old 05-28-2009, 05:21 PM

Would anyone recommend a yurt for desert living? I'm thinking somewhere like northern Nevada, which has hot days and cool nights.

And how do you keep the mice, bugs, and other critters out?

Finding space and peace of mind, right where you are. Knowing that the less you own, the more control you have.
Realizing that less is not more, because you don't want more. You have too much already.  Less is best!                              www.lessisbest.net
#156 of 158 Old 05-28-2009, 06:14 PM

Yurts heat up in the sun. The cool nights would work fine. But the hot days would be terrible.

: madrone - : SAHM to 12 y.o. DS, : 9 y.o. DD, and : 4 y.o. DS
#157 of 158 Old 06-30-2009, 08:24 AM

(wrong thread )
#158 of 158 Old 12-24-2012, 12:37 AM

Great info you all. Ya know, I want to put a Yurt on a nice piece of property in the Sierra Foothills East of San Francisco, and I love Pacific Yurts, but I really need advice about contractors for the base, deck, etc. Should I raise it up on stilts to obviate bear issues? Are there bear issues with Yurts? I know Pacific Yurts and everyone else says how easy these things are to put together, but I'm just not really confident this is true, especially if a foundation needs to be in place. Pacific Yurts did not offer me any sort of network of contractors that have experience with Yurts. They were super nice, just wish they have some more turn key solutions. I definitely want to be part of putting it together, but would happily pay someone with experience to take the lead.  Any ideas?  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page