Live in tiny house while building dream house? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-07-2006, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are in the very early planning stages here. (The dreaming and saving part!) DH and I are dreaming of someday building a strawbale house. We want to live in the country and have a couple acres of land. Cheaper land around here costs $10,000-15,000/acre (unless you buy ALOT of land, then it's cheaper per acre).

I was wondering if it would work to buy land, and build a small house, then after a couple of years, build our dream house (nothing terribly huge) and then rent out our little house. Make sense?

Small house about the size of this one that we could make ourselves. We both have family who are in construction.

Pros:
-we could get out of the city (we both grew up in the country and miss it!)
-have the benefit of land sooner: chickens, garden etc
-save money and build as we go instead of a large mortgage
-having an "extra" house means that over the years we could rent it out for money, let guests stay in it, let parents/family stay in it (say like if my parents get really old, we could take care of them)

Cons:
-might still cost a lot getting started
-still need to drill well, sewer, hook up phone/electricity
-have to wait longer for our "real" house

Also, how close would the 2 buildings have to be to share a sewer system and well? Assuming that it's ok.:

Looking forward to some answers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2006, 10:56 PM

Ooooh I say Do It! Those cabins are sweet. How many are in your family? A tiny space isn't so bad for just two or three people, but if you have six kids and six dogs or whatever it might not be such a good idea.

One suggestion: remember when building your little house not to put it in the best building site where you'll want your dream house eventually! I've heard of people doing this and kicking themselves for it later.

We just bought a tiny house on a big lot in town and plan to do the same thing. However, our tiny house is 700 square feet, not exactly a little cabin. And it's already built.

Good Luck!
Old 10-08-2006, 01:24 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
We had planned on doing this, and then using the small house for Dh's office, he really needs a seperate work space. As soon as we broke ground, my dad talked us into a different plan, he was our contracter. We ended up adding on some to the tiny house to make it livable for a growing family for several years, but not the full size we wanted it to be someday. We built the house so it would be very easy to add on to when we had the $, and we could do so with minimal remodeling of the existing house. It basicially can just be extended in the back witout affecting the rest of it.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
Old 10-08-2006, 01:39 AM

My grandparents did similar, they built a garage for their motorhome (while living in the motorhome in our driveway) & included a 1 bedroom "apartment" in that building, then lived in the apartment while building the house.

But, I'd look at your rental market & make sure there's a market for renting such a small single family home too.
Old 10-09-2006, 02:05 AM

We thought about doing this, then decided to stay in our house in town about 30 minutes away and wait to build our dream house. This was about 4 years ago and we are really growing out of our current house now, but are in the beginning stages of planning our dream house so I think we're on track. We would have had to do the same thing - drill a well and do a septic system PLUS invest in some solar and/or wind power and we figured all that expense was not worth it. We will do all that when we build our real house and move out there permanently.

We are planning an extra room in our house to accomodate guests. My husband talks about another little cabin sometime down the road, but again the electricity/water/sewer issues keep me from thinking it's feasible. I don't see my parents wanting to stay in a no-electricity no-bathroom cabin when they could just stay in our guest room.

But that's just us! Where we live currently is a small town and not "city" at all. Our house is livable and we have 5 animals and 2 home-based businesses so our minimum living space is pretty big - we couldn't live in a small cabin and stay sane.

Keep us posted on what you decide!
Old 10-10-2006, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

I think that DH and I could totally live in a smaller cabin for a couple years, as long as we had a larger yard to escape too! Right now we live in an apartment block, facing another ugly apartment block. I feel like those chickens in big chicken barns that are packed into cages, one on top of the other.

I think that a small cabin in the country would be easy enough to rent out later. I would love to rent a place like that right now! Picture it, a cute little cabin, picket fenced yard with room for a garden out back. Beautiful.

Another thing, I'm not sure we could get a mortgage loan for building a strawbale home. The CMHC (Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation) is currently doing tests on whether it's sound or not. Maybe in a couple years it will be ok, I don't know. But if we saved money first, then built, it wouldn't be a problem.

Hmmmm. It's something to think about.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:14 PM

Many people around here build a shop with an apartment in it. Then they build their house

After the house is built and they move in and have a guest house

I wouldn't want to rent because part of living in the country for me is having no neighbors nearby.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:45 PM

DH and I were thinking about doing this by living in a renovated single-wide while saving up to build. I'm just afraid of how long it will take us to actually finish a house if we know we have a perfectly good place to live in the meantime...
Old 10-16-2006, 02:05 AM

We are doing this, currently in our 26ft RV but building the 'bunkhouse' which is about 520 sq feet, then will be building our log cabin slowly as soon as this is finished. I think its a great plan personally and well worth it. DH's motivation is he can't stand up in the shower! This will be my office/guest house when we are done, storage and living in the meantime, plus the RV which is actually very comfortable!

Who stole my signature!
Old 10-19-2006, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
A few months before I was born, my parents bought 50 acres with a small, old house (not a cabin) and planned to live there until Dad built the dream house. We moved in when I was 10, after a threat of moving out all together from my mom if we didn't get out of the small, old house soon (they had 3 kids by then). The new house wasn't finished, and for a while the floors in the living room were slabs of plywood draped across the joists. They have flooring down in most places now, but still have the "temporary" stairs. They moved in 17 years ago. Not saying it will necessarily happen to you.... I think a lot of the problem was that Dad was running a business at the same time, and he was bartering for labour/salvaging/scrounging for materials. And trying to figure out how to do most of it on his own. I'm not trying to rain on your parade; I would like for us to build a house someday, and I would be willing to live in a tent over the summer if we figured we could get a kitchen & somewhere to sleep up quickly. But I would try not to make my parents' mistakes.

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

Old 10-20-2006, 06:31 PM

How about buying property w/ a small old house on it already, adn then building? We have been saving our entire marriage, and we are planning to start our dream house in 2008! By the time we move in , we will hav elived in the old house almost 10 years, but we have saved so much money, we won't owe a ton on the new house.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:28 PM

We considered this, although we found a great 900 sf log cabin (owner built from a kit 6 years ago) and are living in it now, on 25 acres, with plans to add onto the cabin.

Check out www.firstdaycottage.com - you can definitely get building loans for them. Also www.northeasternlog.com - this is where our cabin came from, and it was $24k US for the shell and it's 900 sf.

Mortgage Free! by Rob Roy talks about this idea of the "temporary shelter" while you build the big house. His idea is that you live in the temp shelter for a couple of years while building. All from cash. Using cordwood, which is inexpensive to build with (but labor intensive).

The houses would have to be pretty close together to share septic and well.

When we looked at costs, we found that for a $40k, 1400 sf First Day cottage, we'd be looking at $80k in additional costs - that is doing all the labor ourselves except plumbing and pouring the foundation. In general they do say to triple the cost of a kit to figure how much it would cost total to build. In US dollars, where we are, a septic system is $5-15k, a well is $8-10k, and a foundation for a small-ish house depends, but is at least $5k for a slab. It can be much more depending on how much excavating they need to do. Then figure putting in a driveway (even just gravel, or even just dirt!, costs a good bit) and all the site prep (removing trees, leveling ground, etc). There are a lot of costs even with a tiny cabin.

I also don't want to rain on your parade, but we found that the costs are really much greater than we originally thought. We do have a mortgage on our cabin, but it's easier for us to pay down the mortgage with my dh's income (he is a teacher) while we homestead part-time, than to try to "do it all" - this is just what we have found works for us, after years of dreaming and saving!
Old 11-16-2006, 11:54 PM

We're considering this too. We are talking about either putting up a yurt as our temp home while we build with cordwood or hay bales or building a garage with an apartment on top of it. We'd like to rent out the first building. THey yurt could even be rented as a yoga studio or retreat. OR- buils the garage/ apt which would double as a rental and workshop. We're still toying with the idea. We have the 5 acres in Utah- now we have to pay it off and figure out the next step! Happy to see people here thinking the same things! Not that that is a surprise!

Mom to three and owner of Earthetarian Happy, healthy and handmade.
Old 11-17-2006, 06:01 PM

We're planning to do something like this. We want to buy around 10 acres, live on it in a tent from spring to fall, during which we'll put up a winterized one-room cabin (with one or possibly two lofts). Then we'll live in the cabin while we get the "main" house built. There are many possible later uses for the cabin.

Our current home needs work before we put it on the market. So we'll do that in the next couple of years and bid our time until our kids are slightly older and more independent. I can't imagine doing it right now (kids are 2-1/2, 4, 6-1/2, and 8) but in 2-3 years I think it would work.

I think around here we'll be required to have septic, and we're planning to start with grid power if possible to simplify things (later we'd love to be off-grid, but...)

Amanda, mom to Everest (12), Alden (10-1/2), Ellery (7-1/2), & Avery (6)
Old 11-17-2006, 06:40 PM

We're living on our 7 acres in an old mobile home. We paid $3K for it and spent about another $1K for fixing some of the flooring, replacing carpet and the bathtub.

I'd be leary of planning on having someone else live on my land later on. Would you want that? And if you planned on selling it to someone else then you've got that whole pesky shared well thing going. It may also cause troubles w/who pays for what if the well goes to pot, yk? If you're renting it out I guess that's different. But again, do you want someone next door?

We bought our mobile home figuring we'd be in it 3-4 years max. So far it's been a year.

Liz~A wife and homeschooling mother to two gifts from God!
Old 11-17-2006, 09:31 PM

We've been living in our temporary doublewide for a year now, while we have been building our home http://pic2.picturetrail.com/VOL983/.../205731717.jpg It is starting to get crazy with 3 adults and 4 kids. We are really needing some space, but hopefully we will be able to move in January sometime. It can be done!

We have already set up renters for the temp house. Folks I've known for a long time and they will be 1/4 mile from the new house, so far enough to not be on top of us, but close enough to keep an eye on the joint.
Old 11-20-2006, 06:06 PM

Also check out shelter kit.... http://www.shelter-kit.com/index.html
Old 11-21-2006, 12:39 AM

THAT is a cool website! I didn't read it all, but I wonder if they use or have an option for green materials, ie: no pressure treated, chemical laden wood. I'll check it out some more. Thanks for posting!

Old 01-04-2007, 03:49 PM

We're going to be doing this. There is a tiny cottage on the property that we'll be staying in while we save money to build a straw bale home. We are also toying with the idea of lifting the house up and building a lower floor underneath. The house is on a hill, so the lower floor would become the main floor, but be built underground and poke out of the side of the hill, if that makes sense. The only problem with this plan is that it'll leave us homeless while we renovate! Plus, I've drawn a floor plan that I've fallen in love with, and would be disappointed if I couldn't create it.

The only thing that makes me nervous about living in the cottage is the lack of plumbing. We'll have to add that, and run a line out for electricity (it's currently running off of a battery system.) We found a link for a Canadian organization that gives out forgivable loans to improve homes that lack the basic needs, so hopefully we'll be approved for that.

Also, there is also NO extra space for a washer/dryer. Yikes! No clue how we'll deal with that. Problem number two is going to be storing our stuff. The cottage is furnished, which is great because our king sized bed is larger than the "master bedroom." And the kids will have to share a room. We'll be going from a three story, four bedroom house in the city, to a teensy tiny 400square foot cottage out in the middle of nowhere. We'll have a lot of stuff to downgrade and sell.

On the plus side, the small space will give us lots of incentive to save/build, as we sloooowly go crazy from being in such an enclosed space.
Old 02-22-2007, 01:29 PM

We're rethinking doing this again. Our latest idea is to rent while we build an earth burmed "studio"- one bedroon, small kitchen, living room, bathroom. and live in that while we build the dream house. Then the studio can become a guest house/ rental/ studio!!
We'll see.

Old 02-22-2007, 02:14 PM

Hi, we are planning something similar later this year. We are going to move on some land we will share with my parents and buy a temporary dwelling like a portable dome or tipi. Then when we have enough money saved within a year or so we are probably going to buy a large yurt.

We wouldn't mind building a log cabin or similar type of house but with all the research I've done over the years, either it will be very expensive to buy a prefab kit and lumber or we will be building for several years if we cut our own lumber and do it from scratch with cash.

We have a five year old and 2 mo so living in 200SF living space isn't something I would want to do long term. Anyway, www.pacificdomes.com and www.reesetipis.com are two of the places we are looking into for inexpensive temporary housing.

I've seen those little wood houses before and I love them to death. I just think they are way overpriced for what they are.

Keep in mind though that we are wanting to pay for everything with cash (mortgage free) and anything even over 20K is more than we can pay so a large yurt, even with all the options and amenities comes out way cheaper than that.

I'm still intrigued by the idea of cob. I'm just not sure what the cost factor is on that yet compared to lumber.

Anyway, just wanted to share our journey too and get in on the discussion.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:20 AM

We did that. It went something like this: Buy 40 acres in Maine. Live in 1970 VW bus while cutting clearing and building 12x16 post and beam cabin. Spend longer back in Boston than we wanted, but save a bunch of money while working as caretakers in exchange for rent. Buy 40 more acres abutting first piece or land. Rescue a 1720 house that is about to be demolished. Leave Boston for good. Live in cabin while rebuilding 1720 house. Move into house and use cabin for storage and guests. Live happily ever after.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:16 AM

we sort of did that. there was a small farm house already on our property, though. it's not where we want to be living 10 years down the road, but it's fine for now while we get our farming operation and yoga retreat business off the ground. once we're in a situation where we can afford to, DH will be designing and building our house - he used to be a general contractor and has most of the tools we need already, and lots of experience.

as for sharing septic and well, i would think that would depend partially on the size of the dwelling and partially on your local building codes. i would think if it was something like a yurt or something else that could be viewed as an out building rather than a separate home it would probably work. but you would probably need to talk with someone about the permitting to make sure you went about it the right way. also, if you think you might rent it out, you need to decide how close you would want those renters to be to your main house. this is a big consideration for us in choosing a site for our future home, since we might rent out the 'old' house as well.

i think if you can afford it it's a great idea! we were dying to get back to the country, and that's part of the reason we bought the place we bought was because this house was already here. we had considered renting an apartment while DH built, but decided it was easier this way since we found the right place.

good luck in your decision!
Old 03-01-2007, 12:33 AM

We bought a farm and moved into the guest cottage while we tore down the old house and rebuilt it. A lot of work and a lot of cold nights with a new baby in that seasonal cottage. Be very careful with making plans to build a small house and live there while you build your dream house. More and more areas are becoming very strict on septics and how many liveable buildings you can have on one lot. I have a friend who ran into this on her property when they wanted to start building their big house. Just something to look into in the town regulations before you make plans. Another thought is planning your home in a way you can easily expand on it. I know a lot of people who build a house with an unfinished basement & 2nd floor. Then as the family grows and they have time they expand up and down and build on a garage. I have a friend who just built a house and her garage is there in foundation only. To save money she put the foundation in for it when she did her house foundation but will have the garage built in a couple of years.
Old 03-03-2007, 04:03 AM

this just sounds like heaven to me
Old 03-05-2007, 02:58 AM

I like these ones.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:17 AM

pixiewytch- have you looked into cord wood building? Might be an inexpensive, do it yourself alternative.

Old 03-22-2007, 02:16 AM

Back in the 60's my great aunt and uncle did just that! They built a loft style log cabin that they lived in with the children. (on 40 acres) They then set to building their house. In the 1990's they had some fruitful times and built a bigger house at the top of the hill. (they have also built a barn) The log cabin is still standing and visitors can stay in it if they like and we had a great time playing in it when we were kids. The house they built inhabits one of my second cousins who keeps watch over my great aunt. I wasn't alive for all of the building and such, but it is a really nice story and gave me lots of respect for them. :

jess mama to caleb
Old 10-15-2008, 10:39 AM

to answer at least part of your question concerning sewage/water. My mother & her brother are on the same well pump & sewage are an acre apart. My great grandmother's "old house" & "new house" are on different septics but also on the same well & pump & about an acre apart.
My greatgrandmother I guess did basically what you are talking about. Her first which is about 700 sq ft was built in 1932. She lived, had many babies, farmed and saved in that house. The house was origionally built without utilities but they were added on in the late 40's. She then built her "new house" in 1956.
At her 90th birthday we had a huge party with all of her family. At one point it was asked for everyone who had rented her "old house" to raise their hand. Over 70 family members did. This doesn't count people that may have rented there & were not attending the party. This "old house" has become a right of passage for my family. its the first stop on your way to adulthood.

wife to an amazing man and mom to my 5 amazing children sd (16), sd (13), d (5), son (2), & caboose d born 11/15/09 and two goats but they don't have anything for that
Old 10-15-2008, 12:16 PM

This is our plan. As I'm sure Ilikethedesert would suggest, you should try reading Rob Roy's book, "Mortgage-Free!" A large part of the book is devoted to teaching cordwood building, but a reasonably substantial part discusses the idea of building a small "temporary shelter" (temporary in that you don't live there forever, not like the building falls down in 3 years!) using the same building technique as the main house ('cause if you can't build a 400 sq ft cabin, you can't build a 1400 sq ft house!), then live there, eliminating your shelter costs, while you build your main house. He also gives strategies for collecting the startup costs for buying land, etc. It's a pretty inspiring book. It may be out of print, but your library should be able to get it for you ILL.

User Tag List