cow with a runny nose... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 10-13-2006, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We raise our own cattle....my dad thinks that giving our livestock antibiotics is the cure all for everything...I'm dead set against it, and so is my mom. tWe have a cow who's had a runny nose now for months, and he just can't seem to shake it. I have told my dad to let him alone, nature will fight it off, I mean seriously, what did farmers do before antibiotics???? He insists that the cow is going to get pneumonia if he doesnt treat him with antibiotics. I'm on a mission to find a natural remedy for him, and i was wondering if anyone here had ever dealt with this??? I'm gonna keep searching online, but I was hoping some of you mamas would have some good ideas!!! Thanks!

Jess,mama to Brycenangel2.gif , Elijah, Jonaah and Josiah
#2 of 3 Old 10-14-2006, 10:19 AM

Is a runny nose the only symptom? Is he eating and drinking and pooping normally? Any labored breathing or strange sounds? My cows get runny noses occasionally, I think they get little colds and allergies. If he's fine otherwise I would leave him be. Maybe give him some garlic cloves for a week, excellent antibacterial, antiviral, immune booster. If you can find it a teaspoon or two of vitamin C powder could also help him shake any illness that is hanging on.
#3 of 3 Old 10-28-2006, 04:58 AM

Try Herbal Handbook for Farm and Stable by Juliette de Barclay Levy.

I keep antibiotics and use them if necessary and pneumonia would be a necessary for me. Untreated it can cause permanent and serious damage. I isolate, treat with rescue remedy, give extra nutrition send a fecal sample off an treat for parasites which I usually deal with naturally but if an animal gets run down it will get everything going and I hate to lose an animal that way. You asked what did farmers do before antibiotics and sometimes they lost animals. I lost a lamb the other day that I did not give antibiotics to because he was going to be used for meat later on. I was taking good care of him but he died from an infection. So it happens. It is hard to farm naturally. I do so as much as possible with the least intervention and most natural methods but I must admit that if it had been one of my breeding ewes I would have given her antibiotics if she looked as low down as the little ram did.

It would be good to know what the problem is too and I use my good old Mercks vet manual or the Stockmans Handbook to look up symptoms and then look for the appropriate treatment You can alo get cultures done by the vet or do them and take then in to the vet. That way you have a better chance of selecting a treatment that will work and if you do have to resort to antibiotics at least you will know that it was for a good reason.

Good luck! I hope you solve the problem.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page