what if eggs freeze? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 12-19-2006, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I try to get out to the coop early, but I can imagine on some cold mornings here in NY I won't make it on time. DO I need to insulate? They were fine last winter, but hadn't started laying yet....so I don't know! Also, have you ever eaten your layers? Were they any good?

Linzie~~wife to Eli 10.1.06, mama to Summer 5.06 and John 7.08
#2 of 8 Old 12-19-2006, 06:40 PM

Hmm... interesting questions. I'm not the best person to offer advice since I'm in VA, but I'm guessing that if the eggs are in the coop with the chickens, their combined body heat would be enough to keep the eggs from freezing.
You can still eat them if tey are frozen though, as long as the shells aren't cracked, and you eat them the same day.
Are your layers a dual purpose breed? A laying breed may not be worth the effort.
I haven't ate any of my layers yet, but if I was going to, I would definately "moist" cook them. We have raised some broilers just a few weeks past prime (supposed to butcher at 8 weeks, we weren't able until 12 weeks) that were a little tough when roasted. So for me, anything over 3 months is going in the stew pot.
#3 of 8 Old 12-19-2006, 07:27 PM

I have frozen eggs sometimes and I eat them even if they are cracked.
#4 of 8 Old 12-19-2006, 08:21 PM

We have had a couple of frozen ones though we use a heat lamp they lay them behind the nest boxes, I just used them right away in an omelette they were fine!

Who stole my signature!
#5 of 8 Old 12-20-2006, 01:24 AM

I just googled this the other day as our fridge froze six dozen fresh eggs. keep them frozen until you are ready for them. thaw in fridge. use upon thawing. we stuck them in the fridge overnight. if they are still a bit frozen you can run them through the food proccessor.

mom to four lively children. birth and postpartum doula. midwifery student. choosing to enjoy life. :
#6 of 8 Old 12-20-2006, 09:49 AM

We've had some cold temps (15 today!) and ours are fine, not frozen. Also had some they were laying under the lid to our grill, LOL (the big round Weber type), and they are fine, though I have been feeding them to the dog because I don't know how long they were out there (2-3 days).
#7 of 8 Old 12-29-2006, 06:15 AM

I have had frozen eggs before, living in Alaska it happens.

Let them thaw and use in mixed egg recipes. They dont make good fried eggs.

If you want to freeze them out of the shell, (which works better) bag them in 2 - 4 egg bags and they are great for cooking with.
#8 of 8 Old 12-30-2006, 03:11 AM

I remember once when I was a kid in Wisconsin and we had a bunch of eggs freeze---like 2 dozen or something. (They may have been on the porch in cartons.) We peeled the shells off all of them and had a big bag of these crazy translucent egg-ball things!

It was really cool--I still remember how they looked and felt. I am sure we ate them all and it was just fine. (My dad was always putting weird stuff in the freezer...the eggs, in a clear bag, were next to a frozen snake and a couple of moles that the dog brought home. Sort of like a very cold natural history museum in there.)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page