Informal Poll: Where would you live if you could? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 03-08-2007, 12:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you had the rare opportunity to completely start over - start fresh - and move wherever you wanted (within reason - think cost of living, etc)...where would you go? What would be the ideal homestead space for you?
#2 of 23 Old 03-08-2007, 01:16 AM

Anywhere to get away from my inlaws. They live next door!

Married to DH 7 years and have three fantastic kiddos! DS 6, DD 4, and DS 2 ...... lo and behold another is on the way!

#3 of 23 Old 03-08-2007, 01:09 PM

where we live! (well, in VT, i mean, I love it here...but would like a different/bigger chunk of land somday--we have 6 acres now)

it's tempting for me to say scotland or new zealand but i like being close to family (mine aren't next door but about 1000 miles away--close enough to make a road-trip).

mama  to 3 farmboys (, & ) and 1 farmgirl ()
#4 of 23 Old 03-08-2007, 02:02 PM

Somewhere in central to northern Idaho.
#5 of 23 Old 03-08-2007, 02:36 PM

Somewhere in a forest surrounded by trees. Far enough from town to have some peace and privacy, but close enough not to have to drive 100 miles to buy groceries.

Oh, and somewhere that never (or at least rarely) gets hot. I *hate* being hot!!!
#6 of 23 Old 03-08-2007, 11:16 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Really, just down the road on a piece of LAND. We're in suburbia now but ohso close to farmlands. I'd love more than anything to just buy some acreage (2? 5?) even 20 miles from here and I could die happy.

Now if you ask my DH this, he wouldn't hesitate to say "Out of the United States. Period." (he has his eye on Finland. I have my eye on Hillsboro/Forest Grove/Cornelius Oregon )

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!
#7 of 23 Old 03-09-2007, 01:23 AM

I'm pretty attached to the area we are in. More land would be nice. Preferably at least a bit with full sun. This pretty much describes where we live:

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy2boys View Post
Somewhere in a forest surrounded by trees. Far enough from town to have some peace and privacy, but close enough not to have to drive 100 miles to buy groceries.

Oh, and somewhere that never (or at least rarely) gets hot. I *hate* being hot!!!
There are draw-backs, but all in all it suits us very well.
#8 of 23 Old 03-12-2007, 03:56 AM - Thread Starter

i cant figure out the "perfect place".... ideally i'd love to live back home in arizona, in the mountain country, but with a clear enough space to garden and raise some small livestock... *sigh*
#9 of 23 Old 03-12-2007, 09:01 AM

In a fantasy world were I didnt have to live where dh's job was I would pick one of two places, down south some where on a nice orange grove or something ... or here http://www.catskillpremier.com/31521...?sku_prd=31521, I ADORE This house!
#10 of 23 Old 03-15-2007, 07:54 PM
Banned

Watergrasshill, County Cork, Ireland. No question.

As long as my parents would come with!
#11 of 23 Old 03-19-2007, 09:28 PM

We're actually doing it. We're moving to Homer, Alaska in a couple months. I was born and raised in a small Alaska town, on my grandparent's 300 acre homestead, in a cabin, almost subsistence, and I would love to do something similar with our kids. We're building a house next summer, after buying probably about 3 acres with a partial ocean view. I really want to have a huge garden, a greenhouse attached to the house, a nice chickenhouse, maybe pigs or a goat.

Mama to 3 kids. We live in a yurt!
#12 of 23 Old 03-20-2007, 01:17 PM

Oregon north (OR, WA, British Columbia, AK) Any would be fine!
#13 of 23 Old 03-20-2007, 01:20 PM

Near Galway, Ireland. I'd be in the Gaeltacht and forced to learn Irish, and ideally I'd be getting my PhD in Irish Studies there (my dream degree)

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
#14 of 23 Old 03-20-2007, 02:12 PM

I've been trying to figure this out, lately. Somewhere with a temperate climate (no snow, no 110F), not many people, where I can have 10 acres to raise a garden, animals and kids, but not so far that DH can't at least telecommute (or commute in light traffic). We're both so sick of the Bay Area.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#15 of 23 Old 03-20-2007, 06:48 PM

WE have lived in Ky and in the mountains of NC. That is hard to say, bc I haven't been everywhere yet. I like Asheville, NC. But I want to visit Oregon, NoCal, Washington, Vermont too!
#16 of 23 Old 03-20-2007, 07:25 PM

Central or Eastern Oregon. With many many acres. Enough we could have cows, horses, chickens and room for the kids to run as far as they can.

Aimee Blessed Momma to 4 amazing boys, P ~ 9 H ~ 7 J ~ 4 and B ~ 1.  Happily married to D Living my almost dream life on an urban homestead, hoping for our forever land to find us soon!

#17 of 23 Old 03-20-2007, 07:32 PM

Probably on National park property in the High Sierra.

In reasonable reality? Maybe Humboldt county (way northern CA), or somewhere in the highest areas of the Sierra.

Actually I'd love to have more property in the area we live right now. I'm pretty close to my dream life.

Although...I've never been to Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Washington, Canada, Ireland, etc. So, perhaps I should research... off to dream..
#18 of 23 Old 03-20-2007, 07:41 PM

Not very far from where we live now: somewhere around Garberville or Honeydew.

However, that's not very realistic from a cost-of-living standpoint because there's no way we could afford all that gas, maintenance on one vehicle, much less two, and dd's super high insurance rates. There's no way she could commute to school without her own vehicle and even with, I wouldn't see her very much and I'd see even less of her bf, who lives in Trinidad.
#19 of 23 Old 03-20-2007, 10:53 PM

#20 of 23 Old 03-21-2007, 02:41 AM

taos/northern new mexico
#21 of 23 Old 03-24-2007, 10:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy2boys View Post

Oh, oh, me too!

I would say right now my top choice is Knoxville, TN, though if distance to family was not an issue, I would say Maine or Wales.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#22 of 23 Old 03-25-2007, 02:13 PM

i actually love where we are, but i'm a land hog and so i'd prefer if we had at least 100 acres (we have about 45 atm where our home is, and another 50 down the road about 10 minutes... so i guess if we could just smoosh them together it'd be perfect ). would want a large pond, and ideally a small river running through or at least a large creek.

if i couldn't be in WV, i think i'd want to be in Vermont, all the land stuff would be the same of course but it's a lot more economical here than in Vermont, and our families are within a couple hours of here, so it's really ideal for that reason too - close but not too close is how i like my family
#23 of 23 Old 03-25-2007, 05:40 PM

I would live in the mountains w/ woods but a clearing for a garden. I live in NYC in a coop where everyone is on top of each other. I hate it and don't want it for DD. I want the earth at her feet and not to worry about dog stuff. I have lived in Colorado, camped in Vermont, so either one of these places would make me happy.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page