you know you live in a rural area when...... - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 119 Old 12-09-2007, 10:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When you walk down the street and people's dogs are going off just like those car alarms in the city!

When you are the only family in your neighborhood without a firearm!

When you can drive 1/2 hour and not see one family w/o a farm animal!
#92 of 119 Old 12-10-2007, 11:35 PM

-you the neighbours' donkey hee-hawing loud and clear with all the doors and windows shut

-you have to be brave and careful during the winter to drive down your road and not into the ditch as it's often covered in snow drifts

-you have to explain the names of the roads to others (9/10, 12/13 and 3/4.)

-you have to explain that the 2 stop signs are 5 minutes apart
#93 of 119 Old 12-10-2007, 11:43 PM

-when you explain what road your house is on no one knows what you mean, but when you say it was Sherman Rawn's house they understand

-one of the roads is called Hogback (and is in that shape)

-the service at the local general store in town is terrible and you could make the food faster than they make it and bring it out to you

-when you realize that a lot of your Avon customers are related so you'd better not offend any of them
#94 of 119 Old 12-13-2007, 03:20 PM

- When there is a retirement party at work (health department) and everyone brings food your grandma used to make that you haven't had since before she died.

- A man comes in to the health department and askes for protection (condoms) and the elderly housekeeper asks him if we should call the sheriff.

- You regularly hear your coworkers discussing the differences between the various backroad routes in and out of their town based on time of year and flooding of the "main" roads that are on the map.

Anna
#95 of 119 Old 12-14-2007, 07:24 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
... "bear versus car" is a typical call
... "train versus person" is even more typical (it's the fastest way to walk to town!)
... you respond to a car accident and you know the driver, the passenger, the cop, the tow guy, the doctor and everyone standing around gawking on a first name basis
... you don't bother putting on the sirens in the middle of the night because you'll catch heck for waking up everyone's kids the next day
... you know how to guide a mediflight to land on the road in the middle of the night with flashlights and flares
... the nearest hospital is 45 minutes away, code 3
... you've delivered more babies than the local doctor ("The baby is coming NOWWWWWWW!")
... you show up to a sick person's house and don't need to ask anything other than "Anything new since last time we saw ya?"
... it can take the whole day in the 4x4 ambulance to get to the elder having chest pain on the First Nations reserve at the head of the lake
... you communicate with your patients via radio to organize somewhere to meet halfway up the pass

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#96 of 119 Old 01-07-2008, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetirishCT View Post
I just wanted to say I LOVE this thread! My dad is always calling us 'flatlanders' since me moved back to VT...

But I must ask, what is an Alaskan Honey Bucket?
I'm from VT and I live in AK now so I feel qualified to answer your question!

A "honey bucket" is basically a bucket with a toilet seat on it, a glorified chamberpot only a bit bigger, for when it's below zero and you daren't go to your outhouse for fear you'll freeze to the seat! (...or something--we don't have one, we brave the cold)

UmmBnB--That happens to me in my hometown, too.

...your neighbor has a sign that says "ring the bell or get shot" and he means it
...you go to parties in cornfields that require tromping through cow manure (shoes for this are aptly named sh!tkickers)
...you garden naked
...whenever you are sitting at a red light, or driving down the street, people always stare at you to see if they know you or not, and if they do, it's ok to stop the car in the middle of the road to say howdy
...when you have a coy-dog or a wild turkey for a pet, and you aren't planning on eating or being eaten by it
...when you realize that traffic is being held up by a tractor because the guy on it wants to make the flatlanders mad by going 15 in a 50 zone and it's a no-passing lane.

SAHM to my wonderful constellationwild.gif 5/2006 & northern light bouncy.gif1/2009 fly-by-nursing1.giffambedsingle2.gifslingboy.gif
#97 of 119 Old 01-10-2008, 03:34 PM

What I want to know... is where do you all live? I would love to find some of the communities you all describe!
#98 of 119 Old 01-11-2008, 02:12 AM

You are able to recongnize the horse and buggies on sight with out seeing the occupants.

animals outnumber people.

We get excited about going to "town" to get mail and feed

church is more than relgion teaching it is the gossip hour

and to the pp who looks up the driveway to see if the mail man has come...been there done that.
#99 of 119 Old 01-15-2008, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommaduck View Post
When half the county still owns and uses buggies, carts, and wagons instead of cars...

Major transportation is on horseback with a shotgun and vehicles are for going out of town or emergencies...

No one mows their lawn...the sheep and goats do it...
We moved to our farm last year and were having nightmares about investing $ into big time lawnmowers!!!! Luckily before we did that we realized that all we have to do is turn the horses out in the yard!!!
#100 of 119 Old 01-15-2008, 06:16 PM

when your goats are perched on the window ledge lookin in!
when you have a brand new back door, which was once someonelses trash therefore doesn't even have a key to match.
when you bathe in the river to conserve water.
when you send your oldest son to the waterfall to collect drinkin water for the day.
when your kids favorite past time is identifying animal tracks and poo on ur property.
when your sister in law comes in without knociking and says 'hope you don't mind" and we reply with "as long as you don't mind risking seeing us naked"...(she knocks now).
when you use extra clothes and blankest on the floor as insulation on the bitter winter nights.
when you leave the keys in the car at all times to avoid loosing them.
when you refer to your children as "free range".
when you finally take your kids to the park (in town) and catch them peeing in the grass....even the girl!
#101 of 119 Old 01-15-2008, 06:16 PM

when your goats are perched on the window ledge lookin in!
when you have a brand new back door, which was once someonelses trash therefore doesn't even have a key to match.
when you bathe in the river to conserve water.
when you send your oldest son to the waterfall to collect drinkin water for the day.
when your kids favorite past time is identifying animal tracks and poo on ur property.
when your sister in law comes in without knociking and says 'hope you don't mind" and we reply with "as long as you don't mind risking seeing us naked"...(she knocks now).
when you use extra clothes and blankest on the floor as insulation on the bitter winter nights.
when you leave the keys in the car at all times to avoid loosing them.
when you refer to your children as "free range".
when you finally take your kids to the park (in town) and catch them peeing in the grass....even the girl!
#102 of 119 Old 01-15-2008, 06:25 PM

Nice!
#103 of 119 Old 01-15-2008, 06:32 PM

When You Go To "town" To The Grocery And They Actually Have Fresh Rabbit For Sale...all Packaged Up And Labled!
#104 of 119 Old 01-15-2008, 06:55 PM

when you can't think of one reason to take the kids camping!

...i always tell people that we loved camping so much..we moved there!
#105 of 119 Old 01-15-2008, 08:10 PM

.... whooperwills and lightning bugs are entertainment.
.... you shower under a drain pipe
.... your crazy uncle sets the woods on fire while burning trash
.... the big debate is if the road's wide enough to bring up a new trailer
... there's moonshine in your refridgerator

I was raised in the holler! yo!
#106 of 119 Old 01-15-2008, 11:43 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
... death notices [complete with picture of said person either a) fishing or b) sitting on a tractor] are taped up on the post office door because there's no local newspaper

... it takes ten minutes for the whole village to know there's an impromptu hot-chocolate-&-skating party at the lake

... you have to call your kilometre marker over the radio to make sure traffic coming the other way knows to make space or pull over (winding, narrow, dirt road)

... there are more dogs than people

... there's at least one horse tied to the hitching post outside the coffee shop almost every day

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#107 of 119 Old 01-16-2008, 01:37 AM

-When you see cows at the end of your driveway you run to the barn and check if there yours, or just the neighbours commin for a visit.
If they are yours, call the neighbours to give you a hand putting them away - if they are the neighbours - give them a hand putting them away.
-You don't need a gym to work out at - the general everyday chores are worth at least a 60minute workout.
- your freezers are the local organic meat market, the neighbours (who don't have animals) stop by once a week to see what you have in stock (and what they took all of last week)
-you never have to go to the store to decide what's for dinner - you check the garden and freezer and go from there.
-you haven't tasted meat from a grocery store(except for a rare meal out on the town) in 5 years.
- you are told your child is a "safety concern" at school because they don't understand the rules of the road - hmm he understands the rules of the barnyard just fine.
Your 3 and 4 year olds have a keen concept of life and death - they've seen animals mate, seen them be born and they know that you eat them. (especially when your 3yo can tell you that the steak is from a cow or that the 4 yo tells the neighbour not to make friends with the baby chicks because you can't eat a friend - and those are for eating - just not yet, they are too small
-You don't find the concept of prognisticating groundhogs very ammusing - they are groundhogs
- your dog knows to leave a porcupine alone - after you've spent $100 on him at the vet the first month you got him to pull out the quills
-the cats and the dog get there rabies shots the same time as the cows - you never have to take to dog to town
- a dog can spend hours chasing a tractor up and down the field and never seem to get board of it (the only time we keep him in a pen is in the heat of summer when we are haying - poor dog dosn't know when to stop)
- when you find your garden rooted up and trip over a hole in the front yard you know that the pig are out - you don't even need to see them.
- the city people think that you are poor/negectful because in the summer time your kids don't wear cloths and are running around bare foot in places where a cow may have pooped(my kids are incredibley healthy and have never really been sick- except for colds)
- you wear jeans year round because handling hay or walking through fields in shorts only makes for a nasty rash.
-no matter the season your always doing battle against some element of farm life, in the winter it's the snow and muck that gets tracked into the house, in the summer it's the flys.
#108 of 119 Old 01-16-2008, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starling&diesel View Post
... death notices [complete with picture of said person either a) fishing or b) sitting on a tractor] are taped up on the post office door because there's no local newspaper

... it takes ten minutes for the whole village to know there's an impromptu hot-chocolate-&-skating party at the lake

... you have to call your kilometre marker over the radio to make sure traffic coming the other way knows to make space or pull over (winding, narrow, dirt road)

... there are more dogs than people

... there's at least one horse tied to the hitching post outside the coffee shop almost every day
yup, I wanna live where YOU are! I am so jealous
#109 of 119 Old 01-16-2008, 10:35 PM

here horses are tied to the fence at the local pizza/grocery .gotta luv it
#110 of 119 Old 01-28-2008, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel's Kitty View Post
The elementary school kids even turn out for the homecoming bonfire and game (hey it was the first year in a long time that there were enough people for a football team)
We do this every year, because our school is K-12. Actually the whole town comes out. And we don't have enough for a football team, our team is our town's school and the school in the next town over!

Katie, mama to Katherine 19, Christian 17, Johannah 15, Nicholas 10, Genevieve 8, Matthew 5, Andrew 11/16/09 10#6oz home waterbirth and madly in love with  my husband, Scott

#111 of 119 Old 01-28-2008, 11:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewaggonerfamily View Post
We do this every year, because our school is K-12. Actually the whole town comes out. And we don't have enough for a football team, our team is our town's school and the school in the next town over!
Us too! I would ask if you lived near us, but I know there is not another Genevieve (my #2) in our district or the one we share sports with

belly.gifSAHM, carseat geek, cattle raising woman to 5 girls (15, 10, 8, 6, 2) wild.gifand a stork-suprise.gif due in July!
#112 of 119 Old 01-29-2008, 12:41 AM

...when you "potty train" by letting your kids run around outdoors buck naked, and let them figure it out the plumbing themself. (It works!)
...when your 8 year old rides a 4 wheeler to school... AND his best friend rides his horse! (My girlfriends kids do this in Wyoming!)

Hanna :, Wife to Chris. Mama to : Gracie (6/05), : Annie (1/07) and : Cole 7/25/09 Expecting #4 in March 10
#113 of 119 Old 01-31-2008, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessmcg View Post
Us too! I would ask if you lived near us, but I know there is not another Genevieve (my #2) in our district or the one we share sports with
We're in SE Michigan

Katie, mama to Katherine 19, Christian 17, Johannah 15, Nicholas 10, Genevieve 8, Matthew 5, Andrew 11/16/09 10#6oz home waterbirth and madly in love with  my husband, Scott

#114 of 119 Old 02-04-2008, 12:55 AM

Reading some of these posts makes me realise that I don't live far enough out! I wish I could ride a horse to the post office! That'd be great !

You know you live in a rural area when..........you see an old school bus, windows removed with cows' tails hanging out, on it's way to market
This was a new one for me...but I guess you could haul a lot of cows in an old bus I'd like to see that again. Made my day

Married to wonderful DH 10 yrs DS 9yrs self-weaned @ 3 1/2 yrs  TTC 3 yrs got preg 4 months after HSG with DS 4yrs self-weaned at 3 1/2 yrs  Hope to have more little ones but have secondary infertility issues so we'll just have to see what the future brings Enjoying homeschooling and farming
#115 of 119 Old 02-04-2008, 01:01 AM

...................the newspaper features a story about so and so's uncle's friend's problem with a black snake under their porch. They couldn't find it to catch it so at the bottom step they set a bunch of mouse traps to scare it away from the door if it came back. This story had a picture of the mouse traps. WOW. Big news What makes it more funny is that a week later they had a lengthy correction for that article "We incorrectly stated that it was so and so's uncle's friend's house, but it was really so and so's uncle's friends, sister's daughters house" or something along that line. Of course if I had been born there I'd know who all they're talking about

Married to wonderful DH 10 yrs DS 9yrs self-weaned @ 3 1/2 yrs  TTC 3 yrs got preg 4 months after HSG with DS 4yrs self-weaned at 3 1/2 yrs  Hope to have more little ones but have secondary infertility issues so we'll just have to see what the future brings Enjoying homeschooling and farming
#116 of 119 Old 02-04-2008, 10:46 AM

great thread...I definitely relate to many of the pp's::
#117 of 119 Old 02-04-2008, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonboy'smommy View Post
...................the newspaper features a story about so and so's uncle's friend's problem with a black snake under their porch. They couldn't find it to catch it so at the bottom step they set a bunch of mouse traps to scare it away from the door if it came back. This story had a picture of the mouse traps. WOW. Big news What makes it more funny is that a week later they had a lengthy correction for that article "We incorrectly stated that it was so and so's uncle's friend's house, but it was really so and so's uncle's friends, sister's daughters house" or something along that line. Of course if I had been born there I'd know who all they're talking about

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

#118 of 119 Old 02-04-2008, 07:16 PM

You're all making me insanely jealous!

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

#119 of 119 Old 02-05-2008, 04:07 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
How about when you have to drive almsot an hour to the tiny county hospital to get stiches in DD#2's head and have to wait while they call the DR in from home because there is no Dr there in the eve/weekends

But you are the only ones at the ER, so they find a nice comfy chair for you to sit and nurse the baby, one of the nurses lives out by you (kids go to same school) and she gets hurt child a bag of chips, and gushes over the baby

One one of the neighbors feeds your cows while you are gone

belly.gifSAHM, carseat geek, cattle raising woman to 5 girls (15, 10, 8, 6, 2) wild.gifand a stork-suprise.gif due in July!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page