Making my own chicken feed? Wanting non-GMO/Organic feed questions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-07-2007, 11:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I want my chickens to eat non GMO/organic food and would like to make my own. I'll go ahead go ahead and buy the pricey stuff if I can't make it myself. I absolutely want non GMO feed.

is there any reason I can't feed my birds organic grains that I buy in bulk from my food co-op & scraps from my own kitchen?

I have a Vita mix and I've no problem grinding up corn, oats etc.

Thoughts? What do babies need Vs older birds that I can concoct in my own kitchen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 05-09-2007, 03:49 PM

Here's a recipe I finally found that is GMO free...and no soybeans. (Providing you ensure your source, of course, or just go organic.)

http://www.greenerpasturesfarm.com/C...eedRecipe.html

I haven't tried making it yet...or figuring up the cost. Ouch! I wish my yard was big enough for the hens that I didn't have to give them so much grain. Not sure how happy they'd be if I tried cutting back and just feeding a bit of grain twice a day or something.

See what you think. Not sure about a starter recipe...she has several other links to check out.

Leon - 8.15.07 and Silas - 4.19.09. Happy for sun and garden season again!
#3 of 5 Old 05-09-2007, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
Here's a recipe I finally found that is GMO free...and no soybeans. (Providing you ensure your source, of course, or just go organic.)

http://www.greenerpasturesfarm.com/C...eedRecipe.html

I haven't tried making it yet...or figuring up the cost. Ouch! I wish my yard was big enough for the hens that I didn't have to give them so much grain. Not sure how happy they'd be if I tried cutting back and just feeding a bit of grain twice a day or something.

See what you think. Not sure about a starter recipe...she has several other links to check out.

Wow! That's incredibly helpful! Thank you so much!
#4 of 5 Old 07-09-2008, 02:57 AM

I stumbled upon this message board today and found my website and recipe mentioned. I'm glad people are finding it useful. Yes, there is a recipe on my site for chick starter as well. I used to grind whole grains for my birds, and stopped when I saw them eating whole corn. I used to grind whole grains for my chicks and stopped when I realized nobody in the wild was doing this for chicks, and that some of my hens were successfully raising their chicks away from our barns and our feeds. I do believe in imitating Mother Nature as much as possible. However, it must be emphasized that providing grit for chicks and adults is crucial when feeding whole grains, and that providing calcium in some form is necessary when creating your own feeds. This is mentioned on my recipe pages.

Ronda @ Greener Pastures Farm
www.greenerpasturesfarm.com
#5 of 5 Old 07-09-2008, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenerPastures View Post
I stumbled upon this message board today and found my website and recipe mentioned. I'm glad people are finding it useful. Yes, there is a recipe on my site for chick starter as well. I used to grind whole grains for my birds, and stopped when I saw them eating whole corn. I used to grind whole grains for my chicks and stopped when I realized nobody in the wild was doing this for chicks, and that some of my hens were successfully raising their chicks away from our barns and our feeds. I do believe in imitating Mother Nature as much as possible. However, it must be emphasized that providing grit for chicks and adults is crucial when feeding whole grains, and that providing calcium in some form is necessary when creating your own feeds. This is mentioned on my recipe pages.

Ronda @ Greener Pastures Farm
www.greenerpasturesfarm.com
Oh, fun old thread! Yesterday, I posted your addy on this board for someone who was looking for soy -free feed.

I also joined the organic chickens list, finally. lol

Cool beans.

And has the price of grain sky-rocked or what. (It has here in New England!). Still, my little biddies are well and happy.

Yeah, hens!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page