Mothering Forum banner

Any sub/urban homesteaders...?

752 views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  Hibou 
#1 ·
X-posted to "Finding Your Tribe"

And by sub/urban, I mean you live on a half-acre or less in a populated area.

Anyone? Anyone? I have a half-acre of mostly shade that I am slowly transforming into my wannabe farmette. I'm taking down two dogwoods and a small maple to put up fruit trees and I already have blueberries, grapes, red currants, a fig that we freeze to death every year (=no figs), some strawberries, some blackberries and raspberries that I'm tearing out.

We just ordered a chicken coop and 8 chicks (hens only). I'm taking the year off from growing veggies because I have to mend my soil (fungus?).

What are you up to? What neat stuff have you done to accomodate homesteading on your property?

#6 ·
This is something I've been interested in...
just wondering, though - can you keep chickens in sub/urban areas? I kind of thought it was illegal, at least in some places.

Good luck with your fruit trees! My parents just did the same thing. It's heavenly.

#8 ·
We're in southern Illinois and we're allowed three animals (but no roosters),- that could even be pigs, cows or goats! Apparently Chicago allows 15 or more chickens! There's a place online that lists different cities & whether/how many you're allowed. Let me see if I can find it after I post here.

Just wanted to
, we're working towards a suburban homestead, we have chickens, a veggie garden & a fledgling herb garden.

#9 ·
I just googled "Chickens Alexandria" which is the city I live in in VA and the first thing that came up was "Carry Out in Alexandria". Hmmm, I guess not too many people want to keep chickens here. I'd LOVE to have some chickens. My cousin who lives in San Pedro, CA, just outside of LA keeps chickens!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.