Yurt along- Making your own yurt - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-19-2007, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am going to start making our own yurt soon and I wonder if any of you all are interested in joining me? I am using this web page for guidance. http://housing.byrene.com/Yurt

We hope to be moving out to our land in December so I figure 6 months is enough time for me to figure it out right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2007, 12:12 AM - Thread Starter

No one is interested?
Old 05-21-2007, 12:14 AM

i am! totally! ive been dreaming of making a yurt for myself.. a meditation/yoga/mama space just fror me. we are moving to a pice of land in july that will have space for a small one.

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

Old 05-21-2007, 03:15 AM - Thread Starter

I used the calculator on the site I posted and I cam up with a cost of about $900 for a 32 ft one. I think with insulation it would be about $1500 maybe another $500 for a deck. You can't beat that for a great house. I am saving money right now for the canvas and wood. I'm not sure if I will start sewing the canvas first or working on the wood frame.
Old 05-21-2007, 06:43 PM

My heart is with you... I lived in a homemade yurt for about three years in Montana and Alaska. Round houses are great! I ended up building an enclosed entryway onto mine to save heat. Now I've got a permanent frame for it and will be skinning it soon to serve as a birthing house...

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

Old 05-21-2007, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter

Ooooh neat, can you post pictures?
Old 05-22-2007, 02:23 AM

Its honestly a little beyond what I can manage right now- searching for the photos, scanning them in, and trying to learn to how to post them... but when I get caught up and chilled out I will do it!
L

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

Old 05-22-2007, 01:49 PM

Hey mamafern I was just checking this out for Kyla and saw you there. Don't have time to build a yurt at the moment but it would make an awesome guest house for down by the creek. How do you think it would work for a barn?
Old 05-22-2007, 02:21 PM

i really want to build a yurt someday. i am waiting till we have enough money saved up to buy the land. if i where to buy one i would buy yome because they are really neat, they are not really yurts though.

mama to two amazing children son 10/27/07 and daughter 07/07/11

Old 05-22-2007, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm planning on building one in the next six months as a portable summer home/camping home. I camp in the SCA so it will blend in nicely, plus I think for my extended visits to family in TX it will give me my own space quite nicely. I have a friend's husband who is fascinated with yurts on board to help. He lives out in TX (said friend gets lumped in w/ the family out there). I've got him and my sister who is a master scrounger on the lookout for materials. I don't know that I'm up to sewing all the canvas myself, I may get at least the roof custom made by Panther Primitives. I've seen some of their tents and they do high quality work for very reasonable prices.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

Old 05-22-2007, 06:19 PM

I would love to build a more permanant yurt. At my school our radio station is hosted out of a yurt that is made of all wood. It's really neat. I love the oregon yurtworks yurts but they seem expensive. If there is a way to do it cheeply on our own I would love to.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:46 PM

This is a dream of ours....we have 3 kids, though and need to figure out how to get us all in their. We are in 900 sq feet right now- so, we can do it...we just need property....and dh needs motivation!
Old 05-22-2007, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmaze View Post
This is a dream of ours....we have 3 kids, though and need to figure out how to get us all in their. We are in 900 sq feet right now- so, we can do it...we just need property....and dh needs motivation!
This is a dream of mine too... I get goosebumps when I think about it. We were debating moving, then decided we loved our area (we live on 6 acres), but now we are talking about selling our house and some of the land, and subdividing it, moving someone temporarily while we built one ourselves...
Old 05-24-2007, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

We have 5 kids and we're just planning on adding a loft for extra space. we figure that being out on acerage will give us plently of room to roam. Plus we'll be building a large deck for more outdoor space.
Old 05-24-2007, 04:07 PM

Would love to build one or two temperary ones - Sigh, I live in California where the want everything built according to building code, and with satellite pictures, they can keep on eye on us.
They would be great for the kids to play in while we built our house, as well as make a great guest house. Pity we don't have any extra $$ sitting around. :
That webpage is awesome!!

What is a good source for canvas??

User Tag List