Cheap yet charming? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-22-2007, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How I would love to have a little farm...some goats and chickens, that's all. I am broke, recently divorced, etc...but a little farm would be just the ticket. I live in a sweet little village an hour from NYC, but any place with land around here is a zillion dollars. But of course like many places, anything affordable (such as way upstate) would not be near anything like the charming village we live in now. In other words...I want it all! I want an affordable piece of land near a truly charming, family-oriented town that actually has things to do.

Can anyone recommend such a place?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2007, 12:08 AM

Um, I live "Upstate." I have a charming little country farm that is affordable (14+ acres and a beautiful farm house with 6 outbuildings for animals. $130,000) We have plenty to do around the farm and since we moved here we haven't wanted to find "things to do" outside of our farm. (We just got 26 baby chicks!!) We live in a very family oriented area about 1/2 hour from Rochester. (Where there are actually things to do.) Upstate really isn't so bad. I love the city, but I LOVE MY FARM.

Hanna :, Wife to Chris. Mama to : Gracie (6/05), : Annie (1/07) and : Cole 7/25/09 Expecting #4 in March 10
Old 07-23-2007, 11:34 PM - Thread Starter

That's just the kind of stuff I want to know! I grew up in Maine so I haven't been all around NY. There have been other wonderful little towns I've seen farther upstate than me (never been to Rochester though), but they have all been too expensive for me. I know there's plenty to keep people busy on a farm...that's why it's so appealing...there's nothing more interesting than animals. Still and all, I'm excited when a cute new restaurant opens up and that sort of thing. Same problem in Maine...some wonderful towns! but that often comes with a price...and anything affordable there is out in the boondocks. I'm glad to hear the Rochester area is nice.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:08 AM

There are some other cute little towns East of Syracuse too. My best friend just moved North of Syracuse. But the East side is supposedly more "charming." Being a college town I am pretty sure there is plenty to do. If all else fails there is the Huge Syracuse Mall (Think - 4 floors of shopping!) Hey the boondocks ain't so bad! If you want that little farm bad enough it is so worth the sacrifice of driving 1/2 hour (or more) to get to a good restaurant. (Although we only have about a 15 minute drive.)
We just moved to our little farm and we now live about 10 minutes from Brockport which is a SUNY college town. It is really cute, right on the Erie canal. We like taking a little drive up to the canal, walking it, feeding the ducks and getting ice cream. It is a nice way to spend a few hours with the family. Plus there are some cute little shops on their main street and a vintage movie theatre and dinner. It is really neat and sort of hippyish. I love it. I highly recommend this area. Although it gets pretty cold in the winter and you sometimes get a little homebound with all the snow that we get. But when that happens you just bundle up the kids and hit the hills for some sledding. Okay, enough out of me. HTH!!

Hanna :, Wife to Chris. Mama to : Gracie (6/05), : Annie (1/07) and : Cole 7/25/09 Expecting #4 in March 10
Old 07-24-2007, 01:11 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks...that's the sort of town I like to know about...the vintage movie theater sounds great. One reason I don't want to be way out in the boondocks is I'm divorced, so being alone with my son far from anyone else might creep me out. I'd hate to move...we have such lovely friends here....but they're charging ridiculous amounts of money for anything around here....right down the street on my block, there's a patch of land that looks like it's someone's very small back yard. It's overgrown and has a ramshackle hull of a shed...and this costs $198,000. Insane! So if I'm ever going to own anything more than that, I gotta find me another place! Ahh well we shall see. Thanks for the info!
Old 07-24-2007, 01:20 AM

have you looked into the western NY areas? (love Brockport btw!) I grew up in the Greece/Hilton,NY areas. there are lots of outlying farming communities in the surrounding Rochester areas.

I think if I were to move anywhere in NYS it would be Ithaca,NY area though. but there are lots of great little towns all around the state. I have a bunch of family in Syracuse too.

personally I'd get out of NY though if you want a cheap farm. or cheaper anything for that matter. the midwest is uber cheap! you can get soooo much more for your money!

ETA- I'm a widowed mama and live out in the boonies in a semi rural town 11 miles from the mexican border, I absolutley love it. I have lived in a large city (ie; Phoenix) and city life is soooo not for me!

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!

User Tag List