Help! How to get ticks off my sons "parts"... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 08-02-2007, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thought this would be a good place to post this... Country mamas are great for this kind of thing.

Anyway, we are here visiting my mom on her farm, and my three year old son keeps getting into ticks... The teensy weensy barely visible kind. : The first time I managed with tweezers, but now he is traumatized(I need glasses and he got pinched once or twice). The second time he only had one and I got it to fall off on it's own by putting lots of rubbing alcohol on it... I think that was just a fluke, because third time around it didn't work. He still has the tick from yesterday. NOW... He got into a whole mess of them and has probably four on his pieces, and more scattered about on the rest of him! How can I get these little buggers off of him without using toxic junk, and without resorting to the tweezers(he won't even let me near him with a q-tip after the alcohol, so tweezers are out)? He's got so many now, I am worried aobut him having an allergic reaction or something awful.
#2 of 15 Old 08-03-2007, 12:29 AM

Yikes- you have me freaked out. How does he get them there? We live in a stinking tick haven and they get in our hair- but now we might just have full body checks. Seriously- are they crawling up his undies? Or is he streaking? No suggestion though- sorry!

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#3 of 15 Old 08-03-2007, 12:33 AM

Is he a heavy sleeper? My DD sleeps like a rock, and I was able to remove a tick with tweezers while she was sleeping. I doubt you could get them all that way, but...

I know. Kind of a lame suggestion. I tried.
#4 of 15 Old 08-03-2007, 12:44 AM

Ugh! Sorry to hear that. I don't think you are supposed to pull them out with a tweezer because the head may be imbedded under the skin, and it could break off and cause an infection. I think you are supposed to smother them with oil of some kind so they die and fall off. When they are big and swollen with blood, a hot match pressed to the body will get them to back off, but I have always burned myself with this method.. Maybe some of the helpful women in health and healing could help you. Good luck. Some ticks carry Lymes disease.
#5 of 15 Old 08-03-2007, 02:00 AM

I was going to mention to watch him for any signs of flu like symptoms or a rash of any kind. This is the only kind of case where I would recomend antibiotics as a precation even without symptoms. My mother had no symptoms whatsoever after her tick bite and she lived in an area that was suposed to be free of lyme. It was months later when she first started to display symptoms. By the time she was diagnosed, it was too progressed to ever compleatly get rid of it. Lyme is a horrible, debilitating, cronic disease that can be compleatly cured with 6 weeks of antibiotics if you catch it at the begining but once it gets hold of you, you can never get rid of it.

Let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humility, mirth and reverence within you.)0(
#6 of 15 Old 08-03-2007, 02:11 AM

The only way you are supposed to get ticks off is to pull them off...but you have to do it in a certain way. You should grasp the body with a tweezer or other tick removal device (they have these little spoon shaped things with a slit cut out that you are slide on the tick....might be just what you need for delicate areas because it cannot pinch him) and slightly pull and then WAIT, wait for the tick to release his head...he will do it eventually, it might take a few seconds (no more than 5 usually) but he will release his head to try and get out of the grasp you have him in. When he does this quickly pull him out (there should not be resistance, if there is he has not released his head).

Lighting a match or smothering with oil is very bad to do. It causes the tick to recurgitate everything they have in them and therefore it releases everything right back into the bloodstream. Not to mention, dangerous with a match and all.

Alicia mama to 3 boys 6 and under.
#7 of 15 Old 08-03-2007, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Tea tree oil!! This has never failed us.

Put a couple of drops on the tick and wait a minute. If the tick doesn't pull out, add another couple of drops on it. It will detach itself. The tea tree oil acts as an antiseptic on the open wound.

Save the ticks you remove in a jar with a damp (from water) cotton ball (do NOT put them in alcohol!). If your son does have some sort of reaction (either in the next few days or the next few weeks), you will have the ticks that you know bit him. It can help in the diagnosis.

We have dog ticks around here (they can get as large as a pumpkin seed when they are engorged - YECH!). Just got one off our neighbor's dog last week using the tea tree oil. We have it in a jar in case she gets sick (there have been several cases of tick paralysis around here this year) .

I don't use tweezers as I have had a couple of tick's (in the past) heads left in my skin when they broke-off. I had to dig their heads out with and X-acto knife.

Quote:
It causes the tick to recurgitate everything they have in them and therefore it releases everything right back into the bloodstream.
I have always figured they have already released their saliva (and whatever bacteria/yuckies they carry) into the body when they bite to encourage bllod flow (and to keep it from coagulating). So, a person has already been exposed to whatever and this regurgitation wouldn't be any different than what they've already been exposed to.

By the way, keep him inside or away from whatever he has been getting into. This sounds like a serious infestation and nothing to play in!!
#8 of 15 Old 08-03-2007, 01:16 PM

Nope. They don't. Here are some sites with info...

http://kidshealth.org/parent/firstai...k_removal.html

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/ehrli...Prevention.htm

Alicia mama to 3 boys 6 and under.
#9 of 15 Old 08-03-2007, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thankyou very much ladies... I didn't catch most of these until this morning, but I did manage to get *most* of them off... There is one very persistant one on his parts(the one from a couple days ago... eek!) that I will try some of the new suggestions on.

Here is what I did... I gave him a bath and scrunned him up REALLY good with LOTS of lavender Dr. Bronners. Seems I remember reading that insects don't like lavender. Then I took some duct tape, and got all of the ones of his body, probably twelve of the little nasties. : This worked out well, gave him a piece of tape and let him try on himself while I did the dirty work. These were really tiny ticks, like sand grain size... Maybe not even ticks, but I know they weren't chiggers because they didn't dig in. They looked like ticks, just very very tiny. *shrug*

He had three more teeny tinies on his jiggly bits, as well as one of what we call seed ticks around here... The seed tick is the one that is still there. He wouldn't let me get them with the tape, he kept pleading "Will you clean them?"... What I told him I was doing with the "medicine"(alcohol) when I tried to get them off before. I guess that sounded better than the duct tape. I decided to try and smother them... I didn't have any vaseline, so I squished up some chapstick with some camphor antiseptic stuff(read something long ago about camphor and bugs*shrug*) and smeared that on them with a q-tip and put him to bed. This morning the three little ones were gone, but the seed tick still remains. I'll get him though... Little nasty. :

I'm very aware of lyme disease... My sister caught it from a deer tick when she was a teenager, and I had it when I was three or four. I know all of the warning signs, and am keeping a very close eye on him for them. So far he is doing great... Doesn't even have any irritation from the bites he's gotten so far. The seed tick worries me because it has been, uh, hanging out*haha*, for a couple of days, but I have been watching it closely and there is no redness or rash. It will come off today though... I've been telling DP about the saga over the phone, and he is appalled that I would leave a bloodsucking creature on my son's bits... He said if it's not off when he shows up that it will be shortly, he won't stand for waiting on it to fall off. He's coming to pick us up this evening, so that tick's days are numbered. I hope I can get it off before that though... I wouldn't want to have a tick on my parts either. *BLEH!*
#10 of 15 Old 08-03-2007, 03:34 PM
AJP

Get a tick spoon! You should be able to find one at a pet store or vet's office (local vet here gives them out for free). They really work. You just slide the v-shaped slit between the tick's body and the skin so the tick's neck (do ticks have necks?) is in the point of the v, pull gently and wait, as mentioned above, until the tick releases. Then it's either stuck in the slit or falls into the spoon, easy to keep track and dispose of. I did, in fact, use a tick spoon to remove a tiny tick from my son's parts when he was about 2, with no pinching, no drama.

There is no secret ingredient.
#11 of 15 Old 08-03-2007, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongBeliever View Post
I'm very aware of lyme disease... My sister caught it from a deer tick when she was a teenager, and I had it when I was three or four. I know all of the warning signs, and am keeping a very close eye on him for them. So far he is doing great... Doesn't even have any irritation from the bites he's gotten so far.
I want to repeat that my mother had NO symptoms in the first few weeks after her tick bite. None at all. No fever, no rash, nothing. she still got lyme. By the time she was getting symptoms, it was so far removed from her tick episode that lyme wasn't even considered. She was told it was all part of menapause, she was told she had fibromialgia, she was told it was all in her head. Finnaly, many painful years later she found out it had been lyme all along.

Let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humility, mirth and reverence within you.)0(
#12 of 15 Old 08-03-2007, 07:19 PM

We live in Lyme disease central, so there are lots of heath education campaigns here... they say the best way is to pull them off with a tweezers carefully without traumatizing them.

Also, apparently Lyme disease transmission usually occurs only after 24 hours, so removing them sooner rather than later is the safest bet.

good luck!
#13 of 15 Old 08-04-2007, 02:37 AM

other diseases spread by ticks: "relapsing fever, tularemia, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever (RMSF), Q fever and anaplasmosis formerly known as Ehrlichiosis"

http://0-www.cdc.gov.mill1.sjlibrary..._tickborne.htm

I would get them all off ASAP and do what you have to do to prevent another such infestation.
#14 of 15 Old 08-04-2007, 03:24 PM

I have had hundreds of seed ticks on me (mostly legs). What worked for me was sitting in a tub of water for a half hour or so. The ticks need oxygen so they eventually release. It's much easier than trying to find every little one.

Rick
#15 of 15 Old 08-06-2007, 02:48 PM
Banned

you have to pull tham and its ok if the head is still there the skin will push it out soon enough what you have to worry about is the tick thworing up and spitting and things like that once the body is gone it cant do that.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page