How much freezer space do I need... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 09-21-2007, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We have a small-ish chest freezer and are obtaining another huge one today from freecycle. It needs a seal but once we have that we'll have a 4ft. long 3ft. deep freezer.

We are planning to buy a side of beef soon. DH is going hunting for rabbit, deer, duck and possibly turkey. About how much freezer space will a deer (or two?) and a side of beef take up? Do you think everything woudl fit in the freezer I describe above? I'm not to wooried about fitting in rabbit and duck as they're small and can go in the smaller deep freezer we have.

Trying to work out our budget for beef (hoping it'll be the only beef we have to buy for a year) and considering space issues if DH gets lucky this year while hunting. Have any idea?
#2 of 11 Old 09-21-2007, 03:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My recommendation is to NOT use the giant electricity guzzling freezer. Those things are MONSTERS on power, especially if it's an old cheapie/freebie. Seriously, their ratings are through the roof.

My advice is to get a 1/4 cow or split a 1/2 with a friend. And don't hunt for deer until you have room in your freezer.

We have a 1/4 of a cow and a bunch of chickens in our small chest freezer (which I think is the same size as yours). It's full, but it closes.

Homebirthing, homeschooling AP, gardening maniac running a working farm. No circ, no vax, no cable TV. EC'd and CD'd, tandem BF'd.  Cheese and soap making goat and child herder.
#3 of 11 Old 09-21-2007, 04:31 PM

I am thinking you should have enough room. Deer wont take up too much room.

I wish we could go hunting I miss getting deer, turkey, pheasant and quail.
#4 of 11 Old 09-21-2007, 07:43 PM

Ours is about the size of your big one, plus we have 2 fridges with the attached freezer. We got a whole beef (700 lbs) and had some leftover deer and it didn't fit. We had to store about 150 lbs of hamburger at my mom's and my mil's. I didn't let dh go hunting last year because we just didn't have the room. He's going this year but I kind of hope he doesn't get anything. We don't have that much room left even though we've eaten alot.
#5 of 11 Old 09-23-2007, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well the freebie freezer is being re-offered because I can't find a seal for it. It's a 1968 freezer! lol.

So, we bought a new one today of the same size. If we were to buy/hunt enough meat for a year to feed a family of 5 (one who wont' be eating anything other than breastmilk for at least half of the year) do you think we could fit it all in the big deep freezer? We want to also get some chickens, chicken breast, etc. (we have a fairly large budget for food right now that we want to use to stock up on meats). We'll be storing a side of beef, chickens, chicken breast, duck, goose, maybe a turkey or two if we find a good deal on them. MY DH will be hunting for rabbit, duck, goose, deer and possibly turkey. God only knows how much of that we'll end up with.

I guess it really depends on what cuts of meat we get to determine if it'll all fit, huh? I'm trying to deice if I should sell my smaller deep freezer or keep it around. I also want to do more freezer cooking for the nights when I don't want/don't have time to cook. I'd rather sell it than store it 'till we need it, but I really don't want to have to buy it again.
#6 of 11 Old 09-25-2007, 12:05 PM

I don't know. I think you'll be surprised once you get all that meat, how much room you'll really need. Like I said we have a large chest freezer, and 2 small fridge freezers and couldn't hold all the beef we had, along with some deer, chicken and a turkey. Not to mention all the other stuff we put in the freezer.

My dad usually has an elk, a beef and a buffalo and he's got 3 freezers, plus 2 fridge freezers.
#7 of 11 Old 09-25-2007, 12:46 PM

hmmmm - i was wondering this same thing - we were thinking about getting a side of beef, but now it sounds like our deep freezer wouldnt be big enough

you could always decide to make a lot of jerky as well.... hmmmm.... have you thought about canning some?
#8 of 11 Old 09-26-2007, 11:29 PM

My folks had a deep freeze the size you mentioned and we fit an entire steer (dressed and packaged, of course) in it PLUS frozen veggies, etc. That fed our family of five (3 teen kids and two adults) for more than a year.

DH and I fit two processed deer in our tiny little freezer (can't recall the size, but it's one of those little square jobs that are the smallest on the market).
#9 of 11 Old 09-28-2007, 12:56 PM

AH the mystery of the freezer!! I remember my grandparents & wondering what the heck they were going to pull out of it next!!
here's some info I gleaned from a web site yesterday:

Quote:
freezer info from peaceful pastures.com:
A half beef (116-160lbs) will take up approximately 12 cu ft of freezer space.
1/4 beef (75-95lbs) will take up approximately 5 cubic feet of freezer space.
(The inside of a milk crate is approximately 1 cubic foot)
It is helpful bcz we are trying to split a whole beef between 5 people & figure out what's what.

~Maria :
#10 of 11 Old 09-30-2007, 07:34 PM

We hunt for moose and have a 21 cubic foot freezer and usally the moose fits into that depending on how it is cut and the size of that years moose. We also have salmon and halibut in there to but most of the freezer is taken up by moose. We usally only have about 5 cubic feet taken up by fish. There is about the same amount of meat on a beef that there is on a moose.
#11 of 11 Old 10-02-2007, 09:23 PM
Red

We ahve a large upright and our fridge has a large freezer. We raise pigs. Last year we put two whole pigs, about 400lbs, in them. THey were pretty empty when we started, FULL when we got through. Really full.

Get the biggest thing first. THen see how much room is left. I wouldn't think you'd be able to get a half steer, a whole deer and then all that other stuff too. But you might.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page