deltec homes -- opinions? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 10-04-2007, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anybody looked into Deltec Homes at all?

http://www.deltechomes.com

Right now they are our first choice for a permanent home on our next property. We have little to no building skills & not a ton of money so we'll need to go with some sort of established builder. I noticed they advertise as a "green builder" in Mother Earth News each month. We particularly love their round-ish shape as it would fit in well with our heating/cooling plans. (We want a central kitchen with a large, wood-burning stove that can radiate heat throughout the house.)

We are driving through Asheville, NC, where they have their model home at the end of this month & we plan to stop & see it. I'm curious if anyone has any experiences with them to share.

alivia, mama to sunshine dd (2003), snuggly dd (2009), & bonus baby (due 06/2010), homesteader, homeschooler, writer, lifelong learner
#2 of 17 Old 01-19-2008, 07:55 PM

alivia-
i just noticed your post when goggling for deltec homes. did you visit the model home? my partner and i just got finished with their weekend seminar. they have a really good reputation here and i have never met anyone who did not like their deltec. i think we'll be building one in the next year.

good luck!

blessings-
becca
#3 of 17 Old 01-19-2008, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter

Becca,

How exciting for you two!

We did visit the model, actually. We were very impressed with both the feel of the Deltec homes and with your town there in Asheville.

In the end, though, we decided it would end up to be too expensive for us. The shell wasn't too bad, but we want some sort of basement or root cellar and then all the finish work, of course, & the exterior -- it just added up to be out of our $$$ range.

We plan to harvest our own trees to do a small log home & hire out for a root cellar instead of a basement so we can have a mortgage-free house. DH has taken vacation time in March & we'll start then -- we can't wait!

alivia, mama to sunshine dd (2003), snuggly dd (2009), & bonus baby (due 06/2010), homesteader, homeschooler, writer, lifelong learner
#4 of 17 Old 01-19-2008, 10:44 PM

Anyone know of a similar company in the midwest? I fear shipping so far would be prohibitive for us.
#5 of 17 Old 01-19-2008, 10:54 PM

oh wow, those look really cool!

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#6 of 17 Old 01-19-2008, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by junebugmidwife View Post
Anyone know of a similar company in the midwest? I fear shipping so far would be prohibitive for us.
You know, you might be surprised. When we toured the model, the shipping they quoted us didn't add that much to our cost.

#7 of 17 Old 01-20-2008, 01:57 PM

We were considering a Deltec, but time was prohibitive for us. I'm still hoping for a future home bing a Deltec.

Ahhh tea the essence of life.
#8 of 17 Old 01-23-2008, 10:54 PM

We've been looking over the deltec catalog too! I just have no idea how much it would all cost in the end, though. We haven't bought any land yet either, and I'm guessing we can't get a deltec for $200,000--which is probably what we'll be able to afford after buying land.

They are gorgeous, though. I love the idea of living in a round house with the kitchen right in the middle, and mostly open space.

Sigh.

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#9 of 17 Old 01-24-2008, 02:29 AM

Nothing to add about Deltac but we are looking at green home building as well and I really like the look of these domes:

http://www.earthshelter.com/

Laura

mom to 3 home-born children, wife to a great guy joy.gif

#10 of 17 Old 01-24-2008, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexbeach View Post
We haven't bought any land yet either, and I'm guessing we can't get a deltec for $200,000--which is probably what we'll be able to afford after buying land.
I think you could totally do it on $200,000, especially if that price doesn't include the price of the land. The things that will drive up the price of your future home will be:

* Lot improvements (like clearing the homesite, an unconventional septic system)
* Setting your homesite very far back from the road (longer driveway, farther to run electric, water, sewer if available)
* Digging a full basement foundation

If you keep those things in mind while choosing your land, I think $200,000 could go pretty far with a Deltec.

Our budget was much, much smaller. Not including the price of the land, we wanted to complete our home for no more than $80,000. There is a stick-built conventional homebuilder around here that has home plans in that range -- and lower -- but I have so many environmental allergies, we didn't want to go conventional.

As an aside, if you haven't bought land yet, I posted this list after we bought ours about what NOT to look over next time. I wish I'd had it before we purchased!

http://www.mothering. com/discussions /showthread.php?t=702536 (remove spaces)

#11 of 17 Old 04-13-2008, 10:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I lovethese homes! But would need it to be $110 or under including foundation, plumbing, solar power, etc.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#12 of 17 Old 04-14-2008, 09:38 AM

Call them and talk to them, if you really want to know.

We could have purchased the land, drilled for water, etc. and put a basemented 800 deltec home in the dry, roofed wired, plumbed, and drywalled for 150-175 K in our area (land is ubberexpensive here), and then we would have done all the cosmetic stuff ourselves. It takes at least 8 weeks once plans are drawn out to have you home ready for delivery, that's what closed the door on us, we needed it to be less than 6 weeks to allot for time to get it done enough to move in.

It's worth the consideration financially, as long as you are willing to do a lot of the work yourself and esp. if land where you desire to live isn't expensive.

Reese

Ahhh tea the essence of life.
#13 of 17 Old 05-21-2008, 10:50 PM

I had considered deltec homes
however i decided not good enough

i have chosen http://www.earthshelter.com/
will first have a 3 level underground basement
with a earthshelter above it

is my estimation
few homes are as strong
few as secure
few as green
few as efficient
#14 of 17 Old 09-09-2013, 04:52 AM

just got back from deltic forum 9/7/13 great learning experience. love the concept my self the model house is beautiful and it is the largest model they make and really shows what can be done with a little imagination, by the way the people are really very pleasant to deal with no hard sell pressure .

#15 of 17 Old 11-18-2013, 09:21 PM

Please check out my website www.deltechomeforsale.com - The house is located in Parrottsville, TN, just 1 and 1/2 hours north of Asheville.  We built our Deltec in 2000 and have loved living here.  We are selling only because our health is failing and we need to be closer to daughter.

#16 of 17 Old 11-19-2013, 09:47 PM

We love our Deltec home in Parrottsville, TN, just 1 and 1/4 hours from Asheville, NC.  We built it in 2000 and have lived here ever since.  I greatly recommend them.  You can see photos at www.deltechomeforsale.com.  We are having health issues and need to move closer to our family.  Otherwise, we would not think of selling it.

Parrottsville is a pastoral setting with several farms throughout the rolling hills of the community.  The people are very friendly.  If you haven't consider living in Tennessee, give it some thought.  There is no State Income Tax.:) 

#17 of 17 Old 12-12-2013, 09:27 AM

There is a cost spreadsheet I saw for an example.  Search the web a little and it will show up.

Good luck.  The cost was not out of line in comparison to stick built and much lower than the log homes I looked at.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page