Build an eco house - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 10-20-2007, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are looking at buying some land in western wisconsin and building our eco house/homestead. Anyone ever build a home? either with a builder. as a builder owner or any level? Did you use alternative energy? Solar, wind, geothermal? There are so many moving parts! Septic, well, etc. Looking for advice resources, etc.!

Apprentice midwife, partner, mother to two boys 5 and 2 1/2 :::
#2 of 10 Old 10-20-2007, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunaleau View Post
We are looking at buying some land in western wisconsin and building our eco house/homestead. Anyone ever build a home? either with a builder. as a builder owner or any level? Did you use alternative energy? Solar, wind, geothermal? There are so many moving parts! Septic, well, etc. Looking for advice resources, etc.!
There was an eco house in the home-a-rama show here in Hampton Roads, VA this year. They were talking about it on one of the local call in shows about the energy star tax free holiday. I know it's a little far from your neck of the woods, but they might have some ideas. http://www.homearama.tv/house.php?house_id=8

Anna
#3 of 10 Old 10-31-2007, 02:58 AM

the archives here are fantastic - its a very active group (i'd reccommend doing web-only subscription, but it is SO worth it)
after market building
#4 of 10 Old 10-31-2007, 08:22 PM

I havent watched these but was reccommended them by a friend... thought they might be helpful

YouTube DIY Solar Hydro generator

YouTube Hybrid Solar Lighting

YouTube - Wind and Solar Energy How-To
#5 of 10 Old 11-05-2007, 09:41 AM

We owner built a geodesic dome with very talented subs (we would definitely not have been done now if we hadn't) As it was we were over 2 years in construction. We are not fully eco, but we did employ as much green tech as possible. We have blown in soy-based insulation that is fantastic, partial rock floor to soak up the heat, (bamboo & cork in other areas). The house is sited to maximize passive solar. We did energy star appliances and mechanical systems, variable speed pump, low flow toilets & showers, low voltage lighting, radiant heat powered by an outdoor wood boiler, low e argon windows, and many skylights to avoid the need for ac.

It has been an adventure to say the least and I highly recommend reading up on building or general contracting your own home - it is a very involved process. Almost all of our environmentally friendlier options came at a substantially higher price.

We'll be broke for quite some time, but I absolutely love waking up in my dream everyday.

eta - solar and wind are in our future, but we just don't have the $ right now - we did go through the planning/building phase with that as the end goal.

This is the company we worked with
http://www.naturalspacesdomes.com/
#6 of 10 Old 11-19-2007, 11:54 AM

I am so interested in this. I am interested in solar panels but have no idea where to start. Thanks for the links; I start my research now!

afro.jpg
#7 of 10 Old 11-20-2007, 06:31 PM

There's a Yahoo group on survivalism. I got invited to join by someone (don't know who) and checked it out. I was surprised. There's so much good info on things like off-grid power. Here's the link: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/misc_s...ism_moderated/ . It's a HUGE and active group, I'd recommend putting it on no-email and just reading from the web. Even on the digest setting you'll get flooded with email (it sends off a digest w/ every 25 messages).
#8 of 10 Old 11-21-2007, 08:04 PM

We are in the middle of building our log home. It will be two years on Feb. We are owner builders though we did have a contractor for the log shell. It is a slow process doing it yourselves when you work full-time. I am trying to be think eco friendly as we go along but as someone said it is more expensive. Unfortunately when we started this I was not in that frame of mind and I think many things would be different.

I have tried looking into geothermal but it's just not used around here. We would like to have off-grid options someday, most likely wind. We were initially thinking gas appliances, but with the future of wind power in mind we decided to stick with electric for most except for the stove, and an option for a gas dryer.

We are on well and septic.

When selecting products I have tried to find those that have lower VOC's, hopefully formaldehyde free insulation, etc.

Feel free to PM me.

Mama to my sweet Sophia, born at home on 4/6/11.

namaste.gif

#9 of 10 Old 11-21-2007, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusannahM View Post
There's a Yahoo group on survivalism. I got invited to join by someone (don't know who) and checked it out. I was surprised. There's so much good info on things like off-grid power. Here's the link: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/misc_s...ism_moderated/ . It's a HUGE and active group, I'd recommend putting it on no-email and just reading from the web. Even on the digest setting you'll get flooded with email (it sends off a digest w/ every 25 messages).
Thank you for the link. This sounds interesting.

Mama to my sweet Sophia, born at home on 4/6/11.

namaste.gif

#10 of 10 Old 12-12-2007, 01:14 AM

Ever checked out a monolithic dome? www.monolithicdome.com

I've been paying attention to these for awhile. I just don't LOVE the shape. Check.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page