Home with land or land and build - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-28-2007, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We live in the mountains of North Carolina and are in a delima of sorts...

Do we "buy" home with land and convert over to be off grid or do we buy land and build ourselves with builders? It is very expensive in this county and can not move cause the kids are in school and will not break up friendships connects they have.

We are wanting to do a rent to own if we could.

Everything that is "developed" is outrageous! LAnd is cheeper but that is coming far and few between. We need land for our horses (3) and we are wanting a few goats and some chickens. A garden to be able to grow a lot of what we eat. An acrea or 2 for a hay field.

My dh was discharged 5 years ago and have been wanting our own place...myself I have been going crazy trying and wanting our own place.
The kids are 9 and 6 and I feel like life is passing us by so fast and by the time we get something they will be at an age when all they care about is being with friends and will not have the benefit and joy of spending some time on our homestead.....

Wanting to be off grid or close to it.

Which do you feel would be our best option to go? Any ideas, suggestions would greatly be accetpted. Am needing much guidance in this. I have failed at so many of my dreams and have very few left, I would like to live one of them....

Would love to hear from lots of all.

magikalmoon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2007, 02:43 PM

I would personally suggest looking for a small affordable home that will allow horses. If you buy a small home "on the grid" you can use an "off the grid" lifestyle and have very low utility costs.

Building very frequently goes over budget.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:41 PM

I have horses and we built a solar home. Its for sale if you want to move to NH Being off the grid with solar requires the right kind of property with land facing the right direction etc. Horses also need the right kind of land. I think your best bet would be find the land that works and if there is a house on it then make it work with some minor (or major) renovations. Its frustrating I know as we are doing the same thing now. We know we will need to buy a home because of the land. So many lovely homes but no room for my horses. Once again we will buy for the land and deal with the house we end up with.

User Tag List