Anyone homesteading in Alberta? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-24-2007, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If anyone remembers from my thread of about a month ago, my husband and I are around 30, in debt, and desperately want to find a way to save up and get our land. Preferably sooner rather than later!

We are considering moving out west to Alberta in so my husband could get started in a trade, make a decent wage, and pay off our debts. Then hopefully in a few years we could start saving for our land. We have come to the conclusion that it is too hard to get into trades here in Ontario where there is not a shortage of workers but a shortage of jobs.

What I'm wondering is, if we were to move to Alberta, and if we were to decide to stay there after my dh completes his trade certification--is Alberta a good province for homesteading? When I picture Alberta I picture either mountains or cattle ranching...is there much good "unused" land we could turn into a homestead? And more importantly, is there any land left that is affordable?

If anyone out there is from Alberta, I would really appreciate your thoughts on the matter! Thank you.

Bookworm mom to three wonderful children. homeschool.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 11-24-2007, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillpicklechip View Post
If anyone remembers from my thread of about a month ago, my husband and I are around 30, in debt, and desperately want to find a way to save up and get our land. Preferably sooner rather than later!

We are considering moving out west to Alberta in so my husband could get started in a trade, make a decent wage, and pay off our debts. Then hopefully in a few years we could start saving for our land. We have come to the conclusion that it is too hard to get into trades here in Ontario where there is not a shortage of workers but a shortage of jobs.

What I'm wondering is, if we were to move to Alberta, and if we were to decide to stay there after my dh completes his trade certification--is Alberta a good province for homesteading? When I picture Alberta I picture either mountains or cattle ranching...is there much good "unused" land we could turn into a homestead? And more importantly, is there any land left that is affordable?

If anyone out there is from Alberta, I would really appreciate your thoughts on the matter! Thank you.
I commented a little bit in another thread about this very thing! I'm in northern Alberta (Peace Country) and, considering how far north it is, the land in this particular area is quite fertile. Because the area was only 'settled' in the 1920s/ 1930s there are still some 'pioneer' families left. While there are huge variations in the degree of self sufficiency, it's quite common to can, rely on your garden, raise your own meat, etc. The local grocery store will butcher and wrap your meat for you, for example.

There's a lot of land, particularly if you want trees with just some farm/ garden area. My numbers aren't great, because we won't be looking to buy land for a few years yet, but I believe that a quarter section of treed land (160 acres) would cost about $70 000, no house. For example: http://www.mls.ca/PropertyDetails.as...ertyID=6084448. The MD of Big Lakes has an awesome tax rate, too! (just so my bias is clear, my husband works for the MD as an administrator!)

Erica
#3 of 4 Old 11-25-2007, 03:13 PM

Hi! I also posted in the other forum about homesteading in Canada... I am not from Alberta but I've been friends with people living there for about a decade now and have spent quite a bit of time up there, so I hope you don't mind if I comment.
My experience is that Alberta is mostly flat/rolling, and the mountains are only on the southwestern border, with some foothills extending a little eastward. There's a lot of corn, canola, and grain grown there, and besides Edmonton and Calgary, it's pretty rural and farm-y. I spent one Christmas in a town east of Edmonton called Smoky Lake on my ex's grandfather's farm which used to be quite productive (now he just has some sheep 'cause he's older). Like the pp mentioned, the Peace River Valley north of Edmonton is very fertile (and where I've spent most of my time)- several people I know actually live on acreage up there (the homesteading seed was planted in my head by a guy up there who built himself a log cabin, raises sheep and chickens, has his own garden, powers with solar, and is a local high school English teacher!) I would expect land to be cheaper too(than, say, near Edmonton and Calgary) because it is more sparsely populated- but I guess that is obvious!
Anyways, sorry for rambling, I just wanted to throw my $.02 ($0.0197890 Canadian) in that Alberta is definitely a good place to homestead, and very welcoming of that kind of lifestyle. And it's lovely!
Good luck to you!
#4 of 4 Old 12-20-2013, 12:57 AM

I realize these posts are old, but I am curious, did you ever make the move to Alberta or homesteading?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page