Do you cook on a wood burning cook stove? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 12-18-2007, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone? DH wants to get one whenever we build our new house. Does anyone do all their cooking on one? DH's grandma did and never wanted to make the transition to a regular one because she said food just didn't taste the same that way.

Busy mom and loving it... dd (2/03), ds (6/05), dd (8/07), ds (12/09), ??? due 5/12

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 12-18-2007, 04:31 PM

I would if I had one. I've had food cooked on a wood burning stove and your gma is right, food just tastes so cooked up that way.

If you aren't sure you'll be comfortable with it being 100% your cooking get a smaller "appartment" sized stove as a second option or for quick cooking options when the wood stove isn't stoked up.

Ahhh tea the essence of life.
#3 of 7 Old 12-18-2007, 10:21 PM

I want to have one of these, with a small electirc stove for backup, and an outdoor "summer kitchen for hot days.
#4 of 7 Old 12-18-2007, 11:10 PM

My mother uses this stove:
http://www.lehmans.com/jump.jsp?item...UCT&itemID=484

She LOVES it and can stop baking....not good if your watching your figure LOL
#5 of 7 Old 12-19-2007, 07:35 PM

I'm fairly new at wood cook stove cooking. We just installed a vintage Sears Roebuck Classic in the middle of our living room. Cooking is much easier than baking! My first loaf of bread turned out scorched on one side and slightly underdone on the other.

We like the wood cook stove idea very much, so we are planning on buying a brand new one, one that has a large airtight firebox. The Classic has to be fed at least once an hour and won't hold a fire more than 2 hours, so has to be relit each morning.

I don't know if I'd like cooking on it, if I had to start the fire for each meal. But we are using it as heat for the living room, so it's almost always got a fire going.

I hope this helps!

Lenda
#6 of 7 Old 12-22-2007, 01:07 AM

Yeah- we do! Gluten free dairy free pizza baking in the oven right now! I'll never go back to gas as long as I live.

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#7 of 7 Old 12-22-2007, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

We'll probably use it for heat in the winter and cooking/baking. The summers are really hot here so we'll have a regular oven as well.

Busy mom and loving it... dd (2/03), ds (6/05), dd (8/07), ds (12/09), ??? due 5/12

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page