humanure...sawdust method. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-28-2007, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
so you poop in a bucket and cover it with sawdust and then where does it go when the buckt gets full? if your vegetarian? ifyou're not vegetarian? does it matter at all? can you help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2007, 01:31 AM

hmm, my family lives off the grid and they use humanure toilets. They use chipped up tree branches because that is what's available. They also add all food compost to it. I've never done this part but the buckets get dumped in the humanure compost pile (I've never seen it, lol). Yeah I know this wasn't much help but at least I've heard of it! And it does work. My mother switched from a composting toilet to humanure because it works so much better and smells a lot better too.

Laura

mom to 3 home-born children, wife to a great guy joy.gif

Old 12-29-2007, 01:59 AM

Hey, here is the whole humanure handbook if you need pointers. Good luck! http://weblife.org/humanure/default.html
Old 01-01-2008, 05:14 PM

We've been doing it for a few years. We have a few compost bins made of old pallets/ boards and we empty all ouor compost/humanure into. We play it safe and wait two years touse it on the gardens. By then it is all broken down and it is good rich fertilizer. It makes no difference if you are vegeatarian or not, you can even throw in meat or rodents that died ( my cat caught a rabbit once. . .). It just makes so much sense, but is a little extra work than a flush toilet.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:12 PM

I am so glad to see a thread on this!! I really want to do this, but my dh is so anti-poop that he pretty much says it will be me doing it all.

hanbanan- can you give us a bit more detail? Do you turn it? that seems like the only nasty part to me... Is it stinky in the house with only using sawdust in the bucket? What else do you add to the pile outside? Approx. how much do you produce... i'm sure it depends per family but will you fill one outside bin per year or...?

tia!

I am a homeopath, offering acute and constitutional consultations for children, babies, and parents. Long-distance treatment is easy, either phone or skype! I also am certified to offer Homeoprophylaxis, a vaccine-alternative program. Message me for more details. www.concentrichealing.com
Old 01-04-2008, 02:09 AM

We empty our bucket into a compost tumbler to do the initial breaking down, and then dump it into a strawbale lined compost bin with a tarp to keep the pile from getting too wet. Our mix is sawdust, woodchips, straw, leaves and some kitchen scraps. There is no smell and very little mess because the tumbler empties right into the pile. The trick is to add enough brown material (sawdust) to keep at good, balanced compost pile. It breaks down in only a few months but like the pp we wait at least 2 years before use. Our family of 5 probably makes a 3 cubic foot pile a year. This spring I think I might just plant flowers directly in the previous year's pile.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:18 AM

I like the idea of using a tumbler for the first break down - what a good idea! I'm thinking the tumbler could be near the house, with the bigger pile a little further away...could be a solution as we are reloocating the pile this winter and wondering where to put it.

we have been using the sawdust toilet compost system for about two and a half years now, with the first batch having just gone in the garden. we put kitchen scraps, including fish guts, and garden waste in to the pile. we wait two years before using as well, with one turning in which dh adds extra chicken manure (dried) so that we get a second heating. there is no smell problem with the toilet in the house at present, and there is only noticeable smell at the pile on emptying days in the summer. this goes away quickly. sara

User Tag List