Favorite Homesteading Movies? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 12-29-2007, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm trying to think of some good movies that have homesteading in them. So far, I've come up with:

The Ballad of Jack and Rose
Hillary and Jackie

Any other good ones?
#2 of 23 Old 12-29-2007, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyMom View Post
I'm trying to think of some good movies that have homesteading in them.
Any other good ones?

I think it was called "Off the Grid" or "Off the Road". Good.
#3 of 23 Old 12-29-2007, 10:38 PM

Off the Map...it was excellent, as was Ballad of Jack and Rose.
#4 of 23 Old 12-29-2007, 11:26 PM

There's always the TV series The Good Life (also known as Good Neighbors). It's a British sitcom from the 70s; it's available from netflix.

I also like the documentary Alone in the Wilderness, I see it every so often on PBS, usually during pledge week. http://www.shoppbs.org/product/index...ductId=2456246

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#5 of 23 Old 12-30-2007, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roya View Post
Off the Map...it was excellent, as was Ballad of Jack and Rose.
Off the Map......
#6 of 23 Old 12-31-2007, 01:03 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! My Netflix queue has a few more entries now.

Meanwhile I thought of another one: Ethan Frome
#7 of 23 Old 01-04-2008, 02:01 AM

Dh and I just watched Alone in the Wilderness. It was really cool to watch him build his cabin. Thanks for the suggestion.
#8 of 23 Old 01-04-2008, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annethcz View Post
There's always the TV series The Good Life (also known as Good Neighbors). It's a British sitcom from the 70s; it's available from netflix.
Oh gosh I remember watching that every week as a kid. Fond memories.
#9 of 23 Old 01-04-2008, 02:25 AM

Jeremiah Johnson kinda has some homesteading in it. it's with Robert Redford and is from 1970.

Frontier House by PBS, it's a reality TV show that has modern people try to live like they did in 1883 in the Montana mountains.

Mummy to dd (Jan 13, '07) born by emergency c-section at 35 weeks due to severe pre-e  :ribboncesarean.gif and ds (Jan 30 '09) :hbac.gif and stork-suprise.gif    (06/11)
#10 of 23 Old 01-04-2008, 11:04 AM

Pioneer quest was a FANTASTIC series in canada, like fronteir house but ohhh so much better.

we got it from the library
http://www.kvie.org/programs/bytitle/pioneerquest.htm
#11 of 23 Old 01-04-2008, 11:14 AM

May not exactly be what you are looking for but,
I like
The Egg and I, and
Sourdough
#12 of 23 Old 01-04-2008, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwerydd View Post
Frontier House by PBS, it's a reality TV show that has modern people try to live like they did in 1883 in the Montana mountains.
I LOVED that show! I wonder if I can get it on dvd or find it at the library...
#13 of 23 Old 01-04-2008, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denvergirlie View Post
Pioneer quest was a FANTASTIC series in canada, like fronteir house but ohhh so much better.

we got it from the library
http://www.kvie.org/programs/bytitle/pioneerquest.htm
Oh man, I wish I could find that series....I LOVED Frontier House and I've heard that Pioneer Quest was even better, as the participants had to really stay in their cabins through the winter.

How did you get it from the library? As far as I can tell it's never been released on DVD. I can't find it anywhere for sale, nor does my library have it.

Bookworm mom to three wonderful children. homeschool.gif
#14 of 23 Old 01-04-2008, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillpicklechip View Post
Oh man, I wish I could find that series....I LOVED Frontier House and I've heard that Pioneer Quest was even better, as the participants had to really stay in their cabins through the winter.

How did you get it from the library? As far as I can tell it's never been released on DVD. I can't find it anywhere for sale, nor does my library have it.
We got it from the Denver library on VHS tapes. Do you have a VCR? You couyld possibly request thru an interlibrary loan.

Just wonderful. We also got Frontier house thru the library as well.
#15 of 23 Old 01-06-2008, 12:00 AM

How about The Wilderness Family

http://www.amazon.com/Adventures-Wil...9588183&sr=8-4

My family always watched it when I was a kid!

Mom to ds 10/12 and dd 2/05 ribbonrainbow.gif

Blogging about living with xeroderma pigmentosum at www.pacificnights.org/ and about life in general at http://livingavibrantlife.blogspot.com/
#16 of 23 Old 01-06-2008, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillpicklechip View Post

They do show it on PBS every once in awhile- I saw Pioneer Quest on my local PBS station. And I agree, it was better than Frontier House. Waayyy less of the families sniping at each other.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#17 of 23 Old 01-07-2008, 12:08 PM

I just saw Cross Creek. Its about the author who wrote The Yearling. Pretty inspiring. Tough lady.
#18 of 23 Old 08-01-2008, 04:29 AM

Subbing! Love this thread!
#19 of 23 Old 08-01-2008, 11:18 AM

I have a copy of Colonial House that is along the same lines....although it's kind of light on the explanations of how they do things and heavier on the interpersonal drama...but there is some useful/interesting stuff about colonial life in there.

I don't know if you are interested in books, but a great book i checked out at the library was "back from the land" about all the hippies (or that generation) who went out, did homesteading, and then for one reason or another "rejoined" civilization (well not all of them in the book did but many of them). The interesting part was them talking about the challenges of the life, whether or not they were ready for it, how aging affected them, challenges with money, etc. Not a movie but a really interesting read.

peace,
robyn
#20 of 23 Old 08-01-2008, 01:42 PM

I've never heard of any of these. Some of them sound really good. Thanks! But wait... Hmmm.... can you really watch a movie if you are truly homesteading Just kiddin...
#21 of 23 Old 08-01-2008, 01:50 PM

I remember my mom took me to see a movie called "Heartland" when I was a teenager. I seem to remember a woman and her daughter alone on the homestead...and I'm positive there's a birth scene, too.

Ok, here's a summary:

A recent widow (Conchita Ferrell) and her daughter (Megan Folsom) travel to Wyoming in 1910, to work as housekeeper for a stern rancher (Rip Torn). Once there she decides to try and homestead a piece of land of her own, but the year that follows is full of harsh weather and isolation. A moving drama about life on the frontier, well acted and understated. Based on the real-life frontier diaries of Elinore Randall Stewart.
#22 of 23 Old 08-01-2008, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippymomma69 View Post
I have a copy of Colonial House that is along the same lines....although it's kind of light on the explanations of how they do things and heavier on the interpersonal drama...but there is some useful/interesting stuff about colonial life in there.

I don't know if you are interested in books, but a great book i checked out at the library was "back from the land" about all the hippies (or that generation) who went out, did homesteading, and then for one reason or another "rejoined" civilization (well not all of them in the book did but many of them). The interesting part was them talking about the challenges of the life, whether or not they were ready for it, how aging affected them, challenges with money, etc. Not a movie but a really interesting read.

peace,
robyn
i like Colonial House too, although even better is Tales From the Green VAlley, although unfortunatly it's only available in Britain. i have it on DVD but have to watch it on my laptop since it's in the British format. it's 5 historians and archeologists living on a 1620 farm in Wales, really interesting and very informative. it was shown on TVO in Ontario 2 years ago.

I also love "Back from the LAnd" it's a really interesting book. also good is "Meanwhile, Next Door to the GOod Life" written by a neighbor of the Nearings.

Mummy to dd (Jan 13, '07) born by emergency c-section at 35 weeks due to severe pre-e  :ribboncesarean.gif and ds (Jan 30 '09) :hbac.gif and stork-suprise.gif    (06/11)
#23 of 23 Old 08-01-2008, 03:07 PM

Everyone should read "Back From the Land"! It's such a good account of counter-cultural "back-to-the-landers" of the 70's who went to homestead to get away from The Man, and what their experiences were (especially from the women's pov). Even though it sounded really, really hard, they all talk about it with a lot of happiness, looking back.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page