keep cows out of my yard! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 01-09-2008, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't have a perimeter fence yet, and can't really afford one right now. I want to create a patch of grass to run a chicken tractor over, but I am afraid that that cows will just knock everything over and eat it all.

Would electric fencing around the grass patch be the most economical and effective choice?

A herd of cows takes its leisure in my yard pretty much every day. Apparently my yard is a historical cow hang out. They are also getting into the hay for my goats. ARG!
#2 of 19 Old 01-09-2008, 04:20 PM

hmmm, I am not too knowledable on cows. I think it you want to do electric fence you need som epretty heavy voltage as cows don't seem to feel the shock like other livestock. I think that is why many farmers use a strand of barbwire across the top of thier fences. I don't recommend barbwire though. It can very dangerous. Especially if it snaps.

Are they afraid of anything do you think? Maybe if you started to scare them everytime they came in your yard they would soon learn to go around and hang out somewhere else.

Got a dog?

Decluttering 500/2010
#3 of 19 Old 01-09-2008, 08:13 PM

Look into step-in posts and electric polywire and a battery or solar charger. Cows are generally very responsive to electric fencing and a standard charger works fine to keep them in or out.
#4 of 19 Old 01-09-2008, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pygmywombat View Post
Look into step-in posts and electric polywire and a battery or solar charger. Cows are generally very responsive to electric fencing and a standard charger works fine to keep them in or out.
: My uncle has a single strand of electric wire around the housesite on one piece of property, and he doesn't have any problem keeping the cows out as long as the wire is tight and he remembers to turn it on.

Mom to K (06.23.06) & A (09.13.09)
#5 of 19 Old 01-09-2008, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Are they? thats good.
I thought I remembered someone telling me they could not feel the voltage.

Decluttering 500/2010
#6 of 19 Old 01-09-2008, 11:10 PM

free range is great ,huh? (I am in AZ and have the exact same problem except with a neighbors herd of horses in addition to cows!)

cows are easier to scare than horses. I like to bang an empty 5 gal water jug with a stick. it gets them out every time. (the horses too)

we used to have simple wood post fencing around our garden that did the trick of keeping the cows out (until it disinigrated from the sun after 20+ years)

btw the cows around me could care less about dogs unless there is a horse and cowboy in tow.

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#7 of 19 Old 01-10-2008, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaJes View Post
: My uncle has a single strand of electric wire around the housesite on one piece of property, and he doesn't have any problem keeping the cows out as long as the wire is tight and he remembers to turn it on.
what height should I aim for on the wire? I get a lot of calves too, but maybe they wouldn't come in if their moms couldn't.
#8 of 19 Old 01-10-2008, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowmoon View Post
btw the cows around me could care less about dogs unless there is a horse and cowboy in tow.
my neighbor drove them off for me yesterday on a horse, with a dog Unfortunately, he isn't available everyday
#9 of 19 Old 01-10-2008, 05:56 PM

Quote:
free range is great ,huh? (I am in AZ and have the exact same problem except with a neighbors herd of horses in addition to cows!)

cows are easier to scare than horses. I like to bang an empty 5 gal water jug with a stick. it gets them out every time. (the horses too)

we used to have simple wood post fencing around our garden that did the trick of keeping the cows out (until it disinigrated from the sun after 20+ years)

plastic bag on a stick!

Decluttering 500/2010
#10 of 19 Old 01-10-2008, 06:25 PM

You should contact Polyface Farm. From what I can see, the do rotational grazing using movable electric fences. They might have some tips on this.
#11 of 19 Old 01-10-2008, 08:22 PM
Red

If they aren't your cows, I'd ask the owner to help you out with fencing!
#12 of 19 Old 01-10-2008, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
If they aren't your cows, I'd ask the owner to help you out with fencing!
it is free range here. so that's definitely a no go. they have every right to eat anything in your yard and get a way with it! (the ranchers can even legally shoot your dog on YOUR OWN property if it is even threatening one of thier cows) :

#13 of 19 Old 01-10-2008, 08:26 PM

I'd think about 3 feet off the ground. The step in-posts come in varying heights, so maybe run 2 strands or add one if you need one lower or higher.
#14 of 19 Old 01-10-2008, 08:32 PM

Quote:
I'd think about 3 feet off the ground. The step in-posts come in varying heights, so maybe run 2 strands or add one if you need one lower or higher.

I think 3ft is great too. this is how high our wooden fence was.

#15 of 19 Old 01-10-2008, 11:51 PM

I would just put up electric. It really does work well on cattle. I believe if you are doing single strand (which should be enough of a deterrent I would think, I mean you're not fencing them IN somewhere so IMO you don't really need serious fencing) it should do the trick.

I'm sure a Google search would give you the appropriate height for the wire. It's pretty cheap too, you could use scrap steel for posts even. (That's what is set up here, only it was for the previous owner's horses).

Homebirthing, homeschooling AP, gardening maniac running a working farm. No circ, no vax, no cable TV. EC'd and CD'd, tandem BF'd.  Cheese and soap making goat and child herder.
#16 of 19 Old 01-11-2008, 01:17 PM

Quote:
you could use scrap steel for posts even. (That's what is set up here, only it was for the previous owner's horses).
Just don't forget the insulators! Most cows respond really well to electric fences.
#17 of 19 Old 01-12-2008, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Wave your arms at them and yell. The horses and cows around here all spook when you yell "HA!" With the horses, look at their shoulder, not their heads. In horse language that means "move away." The best thing to do, IMO, is take out a rope, somewhere between 5-8 feet and swing that at them. To them, it's like having another horse kick at them. Lets them know they're not allowed here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CluckyInAZ View Post
what height should I aim for on the wire? I get a lot of calves too, but maybe they wouldn't come in if their moms couldn't.
I'd agree with about 3 feet. You want it chest high on the cows. There's nothing in the world that can keep a calf in, so don't bother with that. I've seen them run through a steel gate.

Mom to K (06.23.06) & A (09.13.09)
#18 of 19 Old 01-15-2008, 05:49 PM

We do not have trouble with other people's livestock...actually i don't really understand that ! Do they not have to keep their livestock on their property??? But we have an australian shepard that is as efficient as any electric fence!!!! She's brilliant! If our horses get out....she is ruthless! She absoluteley does not give in until they are back where they belong! I swear she understands English!
#19 of 19 Old 05-27-2014, 03:42 PM

my neighbors have cows, they have fencing, barbwire around there cows. but when the cows like to go out to play they just simply jump the fence and destroys everybody else yards, so when I go mow the yard I almost break my ankle falling in the hoof prints. So now I was trying to  decide what to do. give the old lady my hospital bill or just shoot her cows when they come in my yard. hospital bills are very high but on the other hand I could live off a cow for a year

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page