Red Pepper Flakes to boost egg production?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-17-2008, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I read somewhere about feeding chickens red pepper flakes to get them laying again after a break. Any merit to this?? I googled but couldn't find anything.

My three hens have had the winter off (I never went ahead with the light because of logistical reasons), and only one has started laying again. The other two have pale, shrunken wattles and combs, and aren't laying. I'm assuming there is a connection between appearance and egg laying....?

If nothing else, maybe pepper flakes in the feed would keep my dog from eating it and then having disgusting "accidents" all over the house at night.
#2 of 4 Old 01-18-2008, 10:41 AM

I used to give my girls red pepper flakes (just tossed a handful out, not in the feed, but as if I was tossing out scratch), and they'd gobble it up like it was candy. They loved it (I've not bought it for a while), but I never saw any real difference in their winter egg laying. Mine (it's a breed thing) take off from Oct. to mid January. In fact, we're just starting to get some now. I don't put up lights, I don't like forcing them to lay like that. This coming spring we're getting new chicks from breeds that are known for winter laying. I may not get as much as someone using lights, but that doesn't bother me, as long as I get SOMETHING.

Be patient, the days are getting longer, and they ought to be starting up again soon. OH, the hot pepper flakes won't change the flavor of the eggs (that I noticed), but the chickens may love it, and it may aid in their health, so I see nothing wrong with feeding them the pepper flakes. Like I said, mine love it.

Ahhh tea the essence of life.
#3 of 4 Old 01-21-2008, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

It worked!! I threw a handful to them, and 15 hours later my Arauncana layed her first egg in months! Coincidence? Who cares! I've got eggs again!
#4 of 4 Old 01-21-2008, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottaknit View Post
It worked!! I threw a handful to them, and 15 hours later my Arauncana layed her first egg in months! Coincidence? Who cares! I've got eggs again!
Yea, who knows, who cares, as long as the eggs are coming back. I've got 2 hens laying now!!! One yesterday, and a different one today!!! I'm so happy, my girls are starting to lay again. I'm seeing 4 that are pretty red again, and some more that are starting to darken, so I'm hoping it won't be long before we have them laying in full force again. I should get some pepper flakes and toss them out, they do like them much.

Ahhh tea the essence of life.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page