Any Mississippians living off the land and grid? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-20-2008, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello,
I posted over on the Mississippi tribe board with no response so I thought I'd try here. Anyone from Mississippi live off the land and/or live off the grid?
We are from Mississippi and are interested in self sufficient living. As of right now, we are just gathering info. and planning.
Thank you for your time and info.
ykceB
#2 of 5 Old 01-21-2008, 12:22 AM

hi there. I'm in MS but we're not living off the grid. Its something we're interested in and want to do one day but it'll take time. We just bought a 2200 sq ft house built in 1903 on 16 acres. It has a natural spring and creek on the property and a well. We have a few fruit and pecan trees and we're planting a veggie and herb garden in spring. We're about to get some chickens, rabbits, and goats to raise also. Maybe once we're self sufficient in our food needs we can starting working on energy needs.
#3 of 5 Old 01-21-2008, 03:22 AM

Where in MS are you from? I live in Memphis, and my parents are in MS. They have an 80 acre farm.
You can PM me if you want.

Looking forward to knowing what you accomplish. Living off the grid takes planning, and time.

Good luck!

Vegetarian Hindu, mother to L,P and R. 
#4 of 5 Old 01-21-2008, 11:50 PM

I hit your thread up in the ms tribe board. If I weren't crosseyed tired right now, I'd repost it. but yeah, I'm in n. ms and we're trying to go off the grid as money and time will permit.

natural living, cloth diapering, babywearing, intactalactivist mama to 2 beautiful boys both born at homehomebirth.jpg ~ ds1 July 8,2007 and ds2 born December 31,2009 and loving my awesome dh!! mdcblog5.gif
#5 of 5 Old 01-30-2008, 04:29 AM

I have not purchased my first home yet but I am already thinking about my second home. I have career plans that will bring my income to such a level that I will be able to support an off the grid home in the country as a second home. On the Net I see nice homes completely off the grid but not in Mississippi. I also think about who would I get in the immediate area to repair equipment specific to these types of homes if I had a problem. With the home building market in declione, it would seem that one of these major home builders would realize that this is a viable niche market with the correct advertising. Does anyone know where I can get information about off the grid homes specifially for Mississippi? I am looking for Mississippi companies that offer products or services to homeowners looking to build off the grid.

I just go finished looking at this luxury home in Maine that was completely off the grid. I would never have guessed it if I had not been told.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page