How much land per mini nubian goat, and how do I check land use laws? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-21-2008, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are hoping to buy a house sometime in the near-ish future. Someday I want to live more off-the-grid but for now we want to stay close to my husband's work so we can have more time together. One of the most important things about buying a home to me is that we will be able to have at least a couple of goats. I'm thinking mini nubians since they are smaller yet still produce great milk. Of course I'd like several but we probably won't be able to get a ton of land so at least two.

So I'm wondering what's the least land possible for them to be healthy and happy? And how do I check the land use laws to see if it's officially ok to have them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2008, 09:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's hard to say how much space a goat will need. There are some places where goats are kept in barns 24/7. Others pasture their goats. I suppose the answer will depend on the particular piece of land, and how much supplemental feed you plan to offer the goats. Obviously you'll need more land if you expect the goats to browse for most of their food. If you plan to feed hay, amount and quality of the land won't be as important.

As for land use laws, when we were looking for land, one of the first things we did was to check into how the parcel is zoned. Then go to the county website or county courthouse and find out what is allowed on that parcel. Depending on the location of the land, you may need to check with the county AND the township/town/city.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.

User Tag List