Anyone from TX? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 05-01-2008, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is anyone here in "middle of nowhere" TX? We are seriously thinking of going there, we want a lot of land, but don't know where to go! We need something really affordable!

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

#2 of 12 Old 05-02-2008, 04:30 PM

I am not in the middle of nowhere, but I am in the country in N. Texas, near Decatur.

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#3 of 12 Old 05-02-2008, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I live in North dallas. Around here, check out the area north (waaay north of dallas) between here and oklahoma.

Really, you don't really have to go far away from the city to live on an acarage around here.

Oh! also check craigslist, sometimes I see land for sale on there.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#4 of 12 Old 05-02-2008, 10:13 PM

We're in Texas, and the PP is right, you don't have to go far to be the middle of no where. We're in San Angelo in West Texas now, but have also lived in Central Texas. I think Either area is pretty good for lots of land for reasonably cheap. But if/when I can choose, I'm heading to north Arkansas or southern Missouri in the Ozarks. Land is still pretty cheap and I LOVE the area. It isn't so hot as most parts of Texas and I love the hills and landscape much better. But that's just me!
#5 of 12 Old 05-03-2008, 12:58 AM

Yeah... texas is H.O.T.

What are you looking for in a dream home?

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#6 of 12 Old 05-03-2008, 04:18 PM

We are in TX and not living off the grid but we have thought about it since it is so cheap here. But, TX is hot and we don't really know if this is the place we want to plant our seeds.

#7 of 12 Old 05-03-2008, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies! I know about hot. We live in FL, I think TX gets slightly hotter but not by too much. We looked at a lot of states but TX was the only one (besides FL) that fit our criteria. And, the prices look good there, seems to be the only place that we could afford lots of land without changing our current mortgage payment *too* much.
I do worry though, about being too far out. I have a condition that I do need to visit at doctor fairly regularly, get RX once a month, etc. We love going to the health food stores and doing co-ops. So I don't want to have to drive an hour to town, you know? I'm actually really scared of not living near a city because that is all I've ever known, so for my comfort level I'd like to be on our own but still within 20/30 miles of a city. I'd like to have a decent pedi if we needed it (we love ours here!) but I am willing to drive for that. I want to be to ourselves but not TOO far out. I am lost as to where to start looking. We were thinking of being close to D/FW area but then started looking further east. Our families are in FL so closer to that side of the state would be better.
I'm also not sure where my husband would work. He has 2 business degrees in markgeting and management but currently works as a retail manager in a car audio business, which is what he really likes to do (car audio/video, alarms, dvds, remote starts, etc.). I am not sure how much work like that there is around there.

#8 of 12 Old 05-04-2008, 10:46 AM

Check out anna or mellisa or denton. (Far north DFW). I know people that commute to my work from there, so you wouldnt be too far out.

#9 of 12 Old 05-04-2008, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you, I am going to look at those! I know we looked at Anna about 2 years ago, but not land, subdivisions. Thanks for reminding me!

#10 of 12 Old 05-04-2008, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Oh do you happen to know what counties those are in?

#11 of 12 Old 05-04-2008, 04:38 PM

We live north of DFW, and are loving it. We live in a little town called Savannah between Denton and McKinney along highway 380. I would look north of us in these counties...the tollway comes all the way out to 380 and Frisco which is like *the* suburb is like 5 minutes away. There are great doctors, there is a Sprouts (farmers market) another health food store, and if you go a little further toward Dallas there is a Whole Foods...that is about a 30 minute drive. We commute about 45 minutes to our jobs, but love it out this way...we are not in the country, but as close as we can be until we can get some land and plant roots somewhere!

Check it out...There are TONS of jobs down here...and lots of ways to get into larger areas.

You should check out Denton and Collin Counties
#12 of 12 Old 05-06-2008, 12:58 AM

you might check out oklahoma too - just north of TX - just as hot unfortunately tho. Its also a bit cheaper than Tx in my experience

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page