Can chickens and goats live together? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-02-2008, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, so we' ve decided to try raising chickens for the eggs. We live in a semi-rural subdivision. There is an old horse barn on property which is currently home to a male pygmy goat. The goat has access to one stall and our idea is to turn the other stall into the chicken coop. Can both animals share the outside fenced in yard together or do we need to separate off a chicken run for the chickens? Sorry to be so clueless. We're new to this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 05-02-2008, 09:40 AM

Yep, It works out great for us! We have sheep, goats, chickens, ducks, and a goose all sharing the same pasture. In fact, it keeps feed waste down. The chickens are little barn roombas!
#3 of 8 Old 05-04-2008, 06:52 PM

I'm pretty sure if you are planning on setting up getting your milk certified to sell this may not work. Chickens possibly all poulty carry a form of Tb that is not 'bad' for humans or even the animals themselves but will show positive in the milk if you have it tested.

That said we kept our goats and chickens with and near each other. It does work good because the birds do clean up after the goats and I think it helped to keep worms down too with the goats.
#4 of 8 Old 05-06-2008, 01:50 PM

After a tragic winter battle w/ a weasel we were left w/ one tramatized chicken. We put her in the hay loft of the goat barn and all co-existed nicely. Although she did poop on the hay ... she has since moved into the yard since the snow is gone. We had no problems with them together but that was only one chicken.

I agree with the thought that chickens would help to keep bugs down.

Last year when we were raising meat birds our goats would often pull out feathers of the brave birds that got over their fence and into the goat pen. It was strange - I am pretty sure goats shouldn't eat chicken feathers ...
#5 of 8 Old 05-06-2008, 02:01 PM

My friend does that and we're planning on doing that too.
#6 of 8 Old 05-08-2008, 09:00 AM

My only (emphatic) recommendation is that you secure the chickens' feed from the goat. We have a goat that's hell-bent every day on busting out and eating the feed in our chicken coop. We drove ourselves nuts solving the problem. Of course, he's quite the character, and likes to break stuff.:
#7 of 8 Old 05-10-2008, 11:49 PM

i second the chicken feed security.. my goats will eat it all if given the opportunity. otherwise they all get along great.. one of our chickens actually prefers the goat pen for some odd reason..

Cat - Mother to Jonathon (1-24-1987) ; Lola (3-24-2003) ; Xiola (9-27-2005) : 8 wks (4-2008) ; 11 1/2 weeks (9-2008); and 7.5 weeks (5-2010) Nana to William (3-27-2009) Blog: AmLo Farms
#8 of 8 Old 05-10-2008, 11:58 PM

The biggest drawback is that chickens can get freaky about where they lay their eggs. We had one that was determined to lay in the worst spot. So you may lose eggs if they decide to lay them in a place the goat can get to and step on ect.

You had milkers I'd say no way due to chickens high ammonia content in their droppings but since they would only be housed with a wether that doesn;t matter.

User Tag List