How to buy a cow? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-19-2008, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Like they did on Jon and Kate + 8? You know, you pay $X and you get half a cow, they butcher it and you freeze it? (Sorry for my ignorance I have no clue what that is called!) I'd like to do this with a cow and perhaps chickens. Is there a database online so I can find a place close to me? Or does anyone live in/near Orlando/Central FL that does this?

I am trying to convince my dh to get a spare freezer and 1/2 a cow with our stimulus check. Does anyone know if it pays off? TIA!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2008, 11:29 AM

It would be totally worth it, you'd save sooo much money!!
If you just want conventional meat, talk to any butcher, I'm sure they either do it, or could tell you of someone who does it. If you want organic/grass fed, etc I'd do the same thing, just ask around, and start with the butchers.
There's a database of producers here http://www.eatwild.com/products/index.html
Just find a producer and buy the meat from them (you might have to make arrangements for butchering or something tho, but they'll probably take care of that).

I hope that's what you're looking for!

Melanie
Old 05-19-2008, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
ITA that it's very worth it economically. More importantly (to me, anyway,) you know exactly what you're feeding your family. I'm incredibly lucky, because my dad and brother raise cattle, and won't let me pay for the meat they give me. Right now, the meat they sell costs about $3/pound, after all the butchering/processing costs. But with all their costs going up, I know they're raising their prices this year.

I know some ranchers can sell directly to customers. But the way my family does it, you pay them the "live weight" cost, my brother takes it to the processor for you, then a few weeks later, you pick up your wrapped meat from the processor, whom you pay directly for the butchering/processing.

Once you find a producer you like, the process is really pretty easy. I also think you'll LOVE having a freezer. It's fantastic for taking advantage of sales, in addition to storing your meat.

I actually need to find another chicken producer, because ours quit. There is absolutely no comparison between store-bought and homegrown meat.

Nichole
wife to Sasha, mom to Marlena, nursed for 3.5 years, aunt to 3 adorable nephews
Old 05-19-2008, 03:40 PM

I second Eat Wild. I found my beef through a little farmer listed there, and have bought from him twice. Fantastic meat, and a good price!

~Serina~
Wife to j, homeschooling mom to five wonders

Old 05-19-2008, 03:48 PM

I live in that area, I can ask around for you.

I have chickens, but am not ready to part
with any of them yet!
Old 05-19-2008, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

Oohhh! Chickens! I want some!!! I wish we could have some where we live. But we live right in the suburbs...no chickens for me!

User Tag List