Off the grid with kids? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-28-2008, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm just really curious how many of you are off-the-grid with your children, how old they are, and what they think of it. How is life different / better / worse for you with kids off the grid?

We have two kids, and another on the way. My oldest has Autism & developmental delays so that also plays into things. We are so excited about someday living off the grid, and are doing what we can now from where we are in the city... but I'm trying to weigh the positives & negatives for the little ones since it will be so so different.

Thanks for sharing your stories!
#2 of 6 Old 05-28-2008, 05:07 PM

We're 100% off grid and have a 10 month old. I have no qualms about how this will play out... my dh was raised off grid and turned out supremely fine. I taught summer school in our home for a neighbor boy (10 at the time) who has autism, and he did really super. You just gear your life and your interests and activities to it, and (work out all the kinks... don't get me wrong- it is extremely different than living 'at the flick of a switch') pretty soon the way the rest of the world does things will fall away and you will just be home with your beautiful kids living your dream. You CAN do this!

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#3 of 6 Old 05-28-2008, 06:29 PM

We're off the grid, too, my DD is 22 mo. The only thing that is a little challenging is that sometimes we don't have enough power to do laundry right when we want to. (We only have a washer, no dryer, we air/sun dry) WE have to wait for a sunny day. Otherwise, we have all the needed conveniences and tools, and there isn't any problem. When she's older, we always have enough power to run the computer, fridge, TVVCR (if we want it), lights, cordless phone, water pump, etc. "Off grid" per se doesn't mean anything. THe limits come from the size of your power system, and how much battery reserve you have, and whether or not you have generator backup (we do, which we use in the winter when we haven't had sun for a few days).

Amanda, DW to Drew, mom to Ella, 7, Gardner, 2, homesteading on the edge of the continent on the Lost Coast.
mdcblog5.gif California Homesteading, http://eastmillcreek.blogspot.com

#4 of 6 Old 05-29-2008, 02:23 PM

We are off grid with 3 kids soon to be 4. And ya we have just about everything everyone else does except hot water at the moment.
#5 of 6 Old 05-29-2008, 03:50 PM

My DH and his siblings grew up off grid and we've now moved to his family farm with our 3 yr old and almost new baby. His brother lives off grid nearby with his family and we all love it. To be honest it doesn't make much difference to any of us, as long as you have a good set up.
#6 of 6 Old 05-29-2008, 11:40 PM

I grew up off the grid and recently moved back off the grid with my 3 kids. So far I'm thrilled with the change and it's going better with them than I hoped.

Laura

mom to 3 home-born children, wife to a great guy joy.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page