Government funding for solar panels and wind turbines at your house? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 06-24-2008, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dad mentioned he heard something about the government having grant money available for families who wanted to convert to solar panels and install wind turbines. It was in an effort to encourage alternate energy use. Has anyone heard of this? If so, sign me up! We've been wanting solar panels, and our house is in a perfect location for both solar panels and a wind turbine.
#2 of 11 Old 06-24-2008, 09:44 AM

This has been my DH's little project lately, he has been searching to see how much grant money is out there to help with the cost of installing alternative energy. I don't know too much about it, but he has told me a little. There is money available, but at this point it's not enough for us to justify the expense.

We're back to waiting for better technology and more government grants. We don't live in the ideal location for either solar or wind, so for us the installation costs would have to be fairly low. We would never recoup the cost of installation at this point.

mama to   broc1.gif DS 6/06 and banana.gif DS 4/08
#3 of 11 Old 06-24-2008, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

The installation costs are what are stopping us at this point too. Oh well. I guess I'll keep wishing lol.
#4 of 11 Old 06-24-2008, 10:16 AM

I saw a show on the science channel, I think, about a cheaper type of solar panel, a thin plastic. Does anyone know how many years they are away from a commercially-available product? It looked like it would do away with big bulky panels, which should cut installation cost...
#5 of 11 Old 06-24-2008, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koofie View Post
I saw a show on the science channel, I think, about a cheaper type of solar panel, a thin plastic. Does anyone know how many years they are away from a commercially-available product? It looked like it would do away with big bulky panels, which should cut installation cost...
They're out there. mother earth news did an article last year I think. They put them on a metal barn roof. Company's in MI. I think they are backordered. Look on their site for the article.

Katie, mama to Katherine 19, Christian 17, Johannah 15, Nicholas 10, Genevieve 8, Matthew 5, Andrew 11/16/09 10#6oz home waterbirth and madly in love with  my husband, Scott

#6 of 11 Old 06-24-2008, 02:02 PM

Regarding the grant programs, the only thing I have come accross was for businesses from the USDA. I emailed the guy in charge here in our state and he said that a business would have to be officially formed and that they give preference to those whith an education initiative.
#7 of 11 Old 07-26-2008, 04:37 PM

We are wondering the same thing. I've heard that there are rebates for after you install them, but I haven't heard of grants. Hmm. Looks like I might need to do more research!!
#8 of 11 Old 08-18-2008, 08:49 AM

Hi all, I am 25 years old and I am studying in business administration. I just got into the really selective entrepreneurship program, but I may not have a high enough GPA to maintain my scholarship at the end and now I’m so worried. Do I transfer to another college? Does anyone know how I can easily get my hands on other scholarships out there that aren't that hard to get? Thanking you,
#9 of 11 Old 08-18-2008, 09:51 AM

If you don't find anything on the federal side, try the state agencies. We got a rebate through the Connecticut Clean Energy Fund since we used one of their approved installers.

Best of luck!
#10 of 11 Old 08-18-2008, 03:56 PM

Wind Turbine Syndrome

Just something to research.. a recent study on wind turbines (the big ones) found that they impact some people's health in a negative way.
#11 of 11 Old 08-20-2008, 06:32 PM

Different states have different incentive programs. Some of the major solar companies will help you find all the incentives in your area. Or look up solar rebates and your state name on google.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page