geodesic & underground domes and cost of building on rural lot - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-06-2008, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
How much do these cost? I am having a hard time finding this out exactly. We found the PERFECT 5 acre parcel of land. City water is near and for the loan we would need septic, though I would be ok with just a graywater system and composting toilets.

But we are talking about buying it and then putting a trailer on for now and building ASAP. We need to keep costs under $115k total. $20k for the land, plus cost to set up water, septic, trailer for now (just a cheap one we can find), etc.

What has it cost anyone on here to do this in the midwest (I don't know if it varies by state)?

What has anyone spent on geodesic homes or underground homes? I like both and I'm trying to figure out costs. Davis caves gave me a $75/sq. ft quote plus $32/sq ft for finishes.

TIA!

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#2 of 7 Old 07-06-2008, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

http://www.aidomes.com/index.php?opt...=79&Itemid=195

Also, anyone have info on this company? Or has used their domes? What would the final costs be with the dome and everything not included for a 36'-48' one?

#3 of 7 Old 07-07-2008, 01:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I can't tell you costs since we are still in the process of it.

I don't think geodesic domes are designed for earth berming but we are building a monolithic dome that will be buried. Monolithic doesn't encourage this but it is a prejudice against earth berming and nothing to do with structural soundness. Our dome is being engineered by someone who has done buried monolithic in the past.

We are planning to buy the equipment and do some of it ourselves and pay for some of it. We have estimated about 60K for a 30' dome which includes paying other people for things like spray insulation, concrete and plaster work and consulting along with all the materials and tools. I am hoping we'll be able to complete it for less.

Just be prepared for a lot of hard work and a lot of frustration. The world doesn't move at our pace where we moved and things are taking a lot longer than we hoped.

mom to 3 home-born children, wife to a great guy joy.gif

#4 of 7 Old 07-07-2008, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I didn't mean to bury the dome I meant either geodesic dome or underground home. I have been NAK so I messed that up. Only 60k? That sounds great. I just found something on their site that said $110 a sq. ft for standard build which is REALLY high for where I'm moving where I've yet to see something above $50 a sq. ft.

#5 of 7 Old 07-07-2008, 06:16 PM

:

~Danelle~ Mama to four wonderful, intact kiddos ~~ Cami (10), Jimmy (5), Ella & Alex (2/09), and Newbie due 8/11 
#6 of 7 Old 07-07-2008, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty View Post
Thanks! I didn't mean to bury the dome I meant either geodesic dome or underground home. I have been NAK so I messed that up. Only 60k? That sounds great. I just found something on their site that said $110 a sq. ft for standard build which is REALLY high for where I'm moving where I've yet to see something above $50 a sq. ft.
I would agree if you are doing a dome a Monolithic dome is the way to go rather than geodesic. There are some good forums (click on bulletin board) over on their website at www.monolithic.com that would have people who can answer questions about cost of building. They are very energy efficient and very safe (tornado proof, hurricane proof, etc.) so there isn't a great need to bury them, though some people do.
#7 of 7 Old 07-09-2008, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty View Post
http://www.aidomes.com/index.php?opt...=79&Itemid=195

Also, anyone have info on this company? Or has used their domes? What would the final costs be with the dome and everything not included for a 36'-48' one?

From the last price sheet that I have from AI domes which is January of 2005, a 40' dome averages around $25 K, and a 48' is around $29-30K. This price includes the panels, dormers and skylights for some of the different plans that they have. The plans themselves cost around $400 each. You can order their planning booklet for under $20. You're going to have to include the cost of shipping from Florida (at least $3k), plus the cost of cement for assembly. Then you have to finish the inside.

AI domes are the most energy efficient in the industry. I want one so very, very bad.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page