Do deer bleat, almost like goats? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-07-2008, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We recently moved to the country so this is all so new to us! We have 4 acres and we're surrounded by about 100 undeveloped acres, mostly grassland, everything else wooded. We have deer. I find their footprints and I've seen them around in early morning or on cool evenings.

I can't figure out what noise they make since the only noise I've heard coming from a deer was a loud snort. One day, a fawn ran into the woods in our backyard. I swear I heard this bleating sound, kind of like a goat but not really. No one around us has goats. Then, yesterday evening, we got some torrential rain for a change. While dh and I were sitting in the kitchen, which faces the thick woods in our backyard, we both heard this bleating sound every few minutes. If it's not deer, I don't know what it is. It has me puzzled.

As a city person, I'm totally fascinated by everything out here. I LOVE it here. Anyway, so do deer make a bleating sound? Maybe just the babies?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2008, 09:45 AM

I've heard does, bucks, and fawns bleat, and I've heard them grunt/snort too, but I wasn't close enough to know if it was a buck or doe.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:15 AM

Baby deer make sort of a bleating sound when they are looking for their mama... or at least that's what is sounds like to me. Deer of all sizes can scream (seriously a scary sound).

The Tabbie Family; DH , DS , DD , a few :, a couple : and me.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

Oh thank you! It was driving me nuts. There's nothing else it could be, I don't think.

I didn't realize deer could scream. I definitely don't want to hear that!! In my one close deer encounter, the snorting noise it made at me freaked me out a little. They were in my yard. I was taking pictures through the window. Thinking that perhaps I should discourage them from hanging out in the front of my house, I walked outside with my camera. We made eye contact and, after giving me its best stare, it made this really loud indignant snort. Then, it took off like I was the most terrifying thing it had ever seen. I shouldn't say 'it". I think it was a doe, I think.

Anyway, I'm digressing. Thank you! I'm trying to get as familiar as possible with all the other life around here, down to insects. I am acquiring a lot of Audubon books and such. I'm trying to educate myself. I love it here.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenetabbie View Post
Baby deer make sort of a bleating sound when they are looking for their mama... or at least that's what is sounds like to me. Deer of all sizes can scream (seriously a scary sound).
Yes.. a deer scream raises the hair on my arms.. They can also cough.. quite loudly..
Old 07-10-2008, 12:36 AM

I love to sit at my table in the early morning with the window open and listen to all the sounds. Saw a soon-to-be-mama moose early this spring, and just this morning I heard a bunch of scuffling and snorting and there were 3 or 4 young buck deer out in my tall grass.

Mom to K (06.23.06) & A (09.13.09)

User Tag List