Rolled Oats animal feed??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-17-2008, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was at TSC (tractor supply) buying feed and bedding for my daughters 4h rabbit. While I was there I noticed a 50# bag of rolled oats for $16. I looked it over pretty close, all the other feed bags (mixed feed or cracked corn for example) had contents or percentage of nutrients labels sewn in the end seam. The rolled oats just had a date stamp on that tag. It seems like it is just rolled oats. Is there any reason this wouldn't be fit for human consumption? I have in the past bought 50# or deer/horse carrots and apples that when I asked I was told that they just couldn't sell them for people because they were too long/short/fat/thin/ugly/twisty whatever to be sold, I think because of grading. We eat a lot of oatmeal here and this could be good deal. I just want to make sure they aren't sprayed with anything bad. I wouldn't think so since they have to be edible for animals. KWIM? Input, please!

Katie, mama to Katherine 21, Christian 19, Johannah 17, Nicholas 12, Genevieve 10, Matthew 7, Andrew 11/16/09 10#6oz home waterbirth and madly in love with my husband, Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2008, 10:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
hmmm, i'm gonna check that out. our dogs eat raw and i give them oats sometimes.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:25 AM

I don't see why not. You may find some hulls or something in it. But I don't think they'd have put anything in it.

I have a recipe for homemade dog food and its got rolled oats in it, wish we had a Tractor Supply here!

Aimee Blessed Momma to 4 amazing boys, P ~ 9 H ~ 7 J ~ 4 and B ~ 1.  Happily married to D Living my almost dream life on an urban homestead, hoping for our forever land to find us soon!

Old 08-18-2008, 01:21 PM

I work for a company that makes animal feeds. I think the only issue you'd have is cross contamination with other grains. If you have allergy issues to wheat or something.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! No allergy issues here. And we can pick out hulls. I think I'm going to get a bag and a couple 5 gal paint buckets with lids from Lowes to store it in. (I already checked, they are food safe plastic) Worst case scenario if something looks wrong, DD's 4h bunny will be flush with oats for treats for a loooooooong time. I'll let you know how it goes!

Katie, mama to Katherine 21, Christian 19, Johannah 17, Nicholas 12, Genevieve 10, Matthew 7, Andrew 11/16/09 10#6oz home waterbirth and madly in love with my husband, Scott
Old 08-21-2008, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewaggonerfamily View Post
Thanks! No allergy issues here. And we can pick out hulls. I think I'm going to get a bag and a couple 5 gal paint buckets with lids from Lowes to store it in. (I already checked, they are food safe plastic) Worst case scenario if something looks wrong, DD's 4h bunny will be flush with oats for treats for a loooooooong time. I'll let you know how it goes!
Yes, please update us! I saw the same bag at Tractor Supply and wondered the same thing.

User Tag List