Mothering Forum banner

feeder pig w/hurt foot?

706 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Shahbazin 
#1 ·
So we get home late last night and the pigs are out. Thankfully they're in the yard. We lead them in the pen and we notice one has a cut or a split/crack in fer foot/hoof?. We asked the neighbor about and he said it was fine. But today she can't walk on it. Yesterday she was limping. She won't even rest on it. She moves it back and forth constantly. She seems to really be in pain. I want to help her but I can't seem to find any info. on this sort of thing. Any ideas or suggestions? TIA!

#2 ·
If it was a horse, I'd say soak the foot in an epsom salt solution for a while a couple of times a day until it starts healing - maybe also spray it with something like Dr Naylor's Blu Cote (gentian violet, mostly). Anything antiseptic/antifungal.
(I've done foot soaks for sheep by making a box of 2 x 4s, lining it w/a tarp, putting fence panels tightly around it, sticking the animal inside, then adding liquid solution.) With a horse (or other halter broke animal), you can just tie them & use a bucket.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.