how did you potty train with an outhouse? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-09-2008, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wondering--I'm living in Interior Alaska. I don't have running water. In a few months it will be -40 or more. Should I wait until next summer? DS is almost 2.5 yrs and seems to be ready now, but we are visiting my parents and my mother isn't thrilled with the idea of letting him run around with no pants on. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Phoebe

SAHM to my wonderful constellationwild.gif 5/2006 & northern light bouncy.gif1/2009 fly-by-nursing1.giffambedsingle2.gifslingboy.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 09-09-2008, 05:41 PM

If your ds seems to be ready I'd start now! The 40 below thing is just going to be part of his life it sounds like, so no use waiting... right?

Jen, L&D RN, CBE, CLEC who loves to knit.gif! I adore my modifiedartist.gifDP, treehugger.gifDD 10/98, & sweet new babygirl.gif5/10!!!
#3 of 6 Old 09-09-2008, 11:39 PM

Is the issue the no pants when it's cold or having to run out to the out house? We just used a small baby potty in the room with us. In cold weather (but not as cold as you are talking! Indoor room temps were around 40-50 degrees in the daytime unless they were staying toasty by the woodstove) I had my bare bottomed baby in the house with a hat, slippers, long socks or leg warmers and a long sweater so the indoor cold temps were not an issue. I have also found that the stage where they need to be bare bottomed is relatively short once they get the hang of it, and the ease of living without dealing with diapers is well worth the work. Good luck!
#4 of 6 Old 09-10-2008, 06:19 AM

Use a small baby potty until next summer, then start transitioning to the outhouse.

My parents werent big on the naked bum thing either, so I just didnt discuss it with them - instead i would just "do a diaper change" and say "she needs to air out a bit, she looks a little red".
#5 of 6 Old 09-10-2008, 06:31 PM

Have you seen the asian split-crotch pants? http://flickr.com/photos/81141275@N00/533821934

Here is how to make them:
http://doityourselfec.blogspot.com/2...tch-pants.html

Nakey-bum and socially acceptable

---feeling like an emu on acid---
#6 of 6 Old 09-12-2008, 11:08 AM

Use a baby potty in the house and boil some water on the wood stove for cleaning it out in the snow.

Trying to build up my house, not tear it down namaste.gif.   Got 3 wonderful kids jumpers.gif  ribboncesarean.gif autismribbon.gif, blessed with a wonderful husband luxlove.gif and have the privilege of staying home full time to enjoy it all! 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page