Mothering Forum banner

Steam Canner ?

573 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  serenetabbie 
#1 ·
Does anyone use a steam canner for fruits and jams? I canned some applesauce and plums and let me tell you that boiling water bath is a pain. The plums looked like mush when they were done. They were even underripe to help with that. All that work and getting burnt multiple times, hardly seems worth it. Antway I'm just complaining and looking for some BTDT. TIA

#3 ·
I'd go right for the pressure canner and skip the steam canner. It's more versatile. (I'm going to get one soon because I always burn myself with the water bath- I'm temperature impaired).

My friend has a pressure canner and does jellies and jams in it that turn out beautifully.

#4 ·
I have a steam canner. I like it for when I make small batches of high sugar/acid stuff because it is light, heats up quickly and is easy to clean up. Plus, the lid makes a great stock pot.

However... there is some controversy as to the safeness of steam canners. There was one oft cited study that says they are just as safe as water bath canners as long as you are very careful to follow the processing times and directions. Because of that, I always process anything I can in it for an extra 10 minutes.

That said, I like it a lot more than the heavy, super long to heat up, water bath... but I am going to buy a pressure canner before next season.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.