How to feed chickens on the cheap? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 39 Old 11-19-2008, 02:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jster View Post
I'd check into who else might be eating. Also, if squirrels can get into their coop, other predators (like ferrets and possums) probably can as well...you might want to remove food at night, tighten up the security, and see if that helps.
Removing the food at night! Genius! I'm going to start doing that. We don't have ferrets, possums, or even raccoons, (too dry/far from water) but we do have squirrels, mice, packrats, and kangaroo rats. They would all be pretty much impossible to keep out, the way we have things set up. But I'll take the food out at night.

Mommy to kids

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 39 Old 11-25-2008, 06:22 PM

Maggot box.

http://thedeliberateagrarian.blogspo...cken-feed.html

Homebirthing, homeschooling AP, gardening maniac running a working farm. No circ, no vax, no cable TV. EC'd and CD'd, tandem BF'd.  Cheese and soap making goat and child herder.
#33 of 39 Old 11-26-2008, 07:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Have you tried making your own mix? May be worth a try. Here is a recipe I found online. We used this at first, and after a few times I started changing it to give them more variety (and I hate measuring stuff). I also noticed that my chickens don't like the tiny stuff (like millet, amaranth and even the quinoa), and we have added more nuts for extra fat now that it's getting cold. We feed them organic, but if you're looking to cut on price, buying this stuff in bulk should be pretty economical.

2 parts whole corn (in winter this is increased to 3 or 4 parts)
3 parts soft white wheat
3 parts hard red winter wheat
1 part hulled barley
1 part oat groats
1 part sunflower seeds (in winter this is increased to 2 parts)
1 part millet
1 part kamut
1 part amaranth seeds
1 part split peas
1 part lentils
1 part quinoa
1 part sesame seeds
1/2 part flax seeds
1/2 part kelp granules
free choice of granite grit
free choice of oyster shell
#34 of 39 Old 11-30-2008, 12:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twwly View Post
Oh, yeah, I've seen this before. The part about eliminating a generation of flies appeals to me. I'm not sure I can stomach it though. And it won't work now that it's cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LorenaAZ View Post
Have you tried making your own mix? May be worth a try. Here is a recipe I found online. We used this at first, and after a few times I started changing it to give them more variety (and I hate measuring stuff). I also noticed that my chickens don't like the tiny stuff (like millet, amaranth and even the quinoa), and we have added more nuts for extra fat now that it's getting cold. We feed them organic, but if you're looking to cut on price, buying this stuff in bulk should be pretty economical.

2 parts whole corn (in winter this is increased to 3 or 4 parts)
3 parts soft white wheat
3 parts hard red winter wheat
1 part hulled barley
1 part oat groats
1 part sunflower seeds (in winter this is increased to 2 parts)
1 part millet
1 part kamut
1 part amaranth seeds
1 part split peas
1 part lentils
1 part quinoa
1 part sesame seeds
1/2 part flax seeds
1/2 part kelp granules
free choice of granite grit
free choice of oyster shell
Where are you getting these? Are they food grade? Are you just buying it at the grocery store?

Mommy to kids

#35 of 39 Old 11-30-2008, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuamami View Post
I have thought about asking at the store for old produce. Have you done that? Were they willing? My mom used to work at Raley's and always asked for the old flowers and a few other things that they were going to throw in the dumpster. But I didn't know if they would do it for just anyone.
I used to work in the produce dept at a HFS and we put out all the produce trimmings in a compost bucket by the back gate for the locals to pick up for their livestock. First come, first serve. Whatever was still there at the end of the day wound up in the dumpster, though. I know we had goat people and chicken people picking up on a regular basis.

Consider that even aside from the "rotting" produce, there's also things like corn husks, the outer leaves from lettuce or cabbage, beet or carrot greens, the outer leaves of cauliflower, etc. all being discarded. And unless your municipality does compost pick-up, very few stores are going to bother doing anything other than dumping it into the dumpster. Call and talk to the produce manager at your local stores and ask if they'd be willing to save those things for you. You may have to supply a rubbermaid tub or something similar that they can fill and then stick in the walk-in for you to pick up once or twice a week, but even that would help.

Also check at your local farmer's market with the growers... what do they do with the leftovers at the end of the day? A lot of things (like greens) cannot be sold past that day because they've been sitting out all day, some of the growers will just discard them. Offer to come by and pick up any discards at the end of the market. Things like beet greens or carrot tops are also often available, since people like me will give them back to the grower to compost since I won't utilize them.

HTH

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#36 of 39 Old 11-30-2008, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Where are you getting these? Are they food grade? Are you just buying it at the grocery store?
I'd like to know, too, since we're planning on doing a variation on that recipe, when we get chickens come spring.

Christie ~ proud Mama to : 5/01, and : 3/07; and proud wife to my since 1992. We have 13 and 2 : It's looking more and more like either a farm or a zoo around here.
#37 of 39 Old 11-30-2008, 05:45 PM

I know this probably won't work for you, but I'll throw the idea out there for other people who might be looking for cheap ways to feed chickens.

We had a huge pumpkin patch this year. I don't know if other people have the same experience, but I find pumpkins very easy to grow. They'll grow in just about any soil, and require very little (if any) maintenance. If you buy seed for large pumkins, you'll probably get more bang for your buck. For a $1 investment, I've been feeding my chickens for the past month. Every day or so, I pick up one of our half-frozen pumkins and smash it in the chicken yard. The chickens LOVE it. They eat the fleshy part as well as the seeds. This is a great use for any of starting-to-go-bad pumkins that people might have sitting on their front steps as a Thanksgiving/fall decoration.

If I had realized what a great investment pumkins were, I would've planted more of them. I'll definitely enlarge my pumkin patch next year, because it's a great food for the chickens. I will admit that I also feed layer feed to my chickens, but they go through much less of it when I'm also providing pumkins.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#38 of 39 Old 11-30-2008, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Oh, yeah, I've seen this before. The part about eliminating a generation of flies appeals to me. I'm not sure I can stomach it though. And it won't work now that it's cold.

Most of those items would be available from a feed/farm store.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#39 of 39 Old 12-01-2008, 03:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:

I get them from my local supermarket/health food store. They have them in bins and are sold by the pound, all organic. We spend about $30 a month making chicken food for 6 hens, in addition they free range, and get kitchen scraps.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page