Tiny House Living, How small is your house? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 75 Old 11-03-2008, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are presently living in a huge (2600 sq ft) house and I long for a tiny house. I love the Tumbleweed houses, but they would be too small for myself and four children. I just need to see other families living in small spaces, and how they make it work. How tiny is your home?

Cheers,

Lyn
#2 of 75 Old 11-03-2008, 11:50 PM

Ours is 1200 sq ft. Not tiny but it feels pretty tiny sometimes!

Laura
Mom to three
#3 of 75 Old 11-03-2008, 11:52 PM

Mine is less then 900 square feet for four. It is too small.
#4 of 75 Old 11-04-2008, 12:48 AM

Girl, I too have 4 kids and we are moving out of our 1300 sqf suburb house & into our 2700 sqf farm home. I am LONGING for the room. I love & respect all you moms making it work in those 350sqf apartments but I get to stressed out! Let me ask you this, how old is your house? During Hurricane Gustav I stayed in a home that was very new & 3000 sqf. I never stopped cleaning. 4 bathrooms, double sinks in the master, seperate shower & jacuzzi tub, kitchen sink, bar sink, laundry sink etc etc... Having big rooms doesn't create extra work ( okay yeah there is more room for dust & vacuuming) but all these new accessories certainly does. I personally don't need anymore toilets to stick my hand in twice a week or sinks to scrub out my kiddo's dried on toothpaste.

wife to an amazing man and mom to my 5 amazing children sd (16), sd (13), d (5), son (2), & caboose d born 11/15/09 and two goats but they don't have anything for that
#5 of 75 Old 11-04-2008, 01:01 AM

264 square feet
We live in our 5th wheel with our 4 young kids. Someday a 900 square foot house will feel like a mansion!!!!!

Mama to SDD (12), DD (8), DD (6), DD, (4), DS (3) and new little babe arriving Dec. We are in the process of building our cob home and homestead
#6 of 75 Old 11-04-2008, 01:10 AM

My house is 814 sq feet for two of us. The actual square footage is plenty but I'd adjust the floorplan a little in my dream house.

My current house is a typical four square on the first floor with a kitchen, dining room, living room, bedroom, and bath. We use the bedroom as the playroom. I'd love to tear down the wall between that bedroom and the living room and make them into one larger room (still less than 400 sq ft total though). I'd also like two bedrooms upstairs because while us sharing one bedroom is fine right now, it won't be fine in 10 years or so. Finally, I'd move the full bath upstairs and just have a powder room downstairs. I feel confident that I could easily do that in 900-1000 sq feet and we'd be more than comfortable... and if I could bump to about 1200 sq ft, I'd add in luxuries like a linen closet, a pantry, a laundry room on the second floor (*dream*), etc. for better, easier to organize storage options.

Robin, strong and happy single mama to Anna (7/06)
"Au milieu de l'hiver, j'ai découvert en moi un invincible été."
#7 of 75 Old 11-04-2008, 01:24 AM

well, i just had to chime in...about 200sq.ft! my partner & i share a one-room hutt with our 18 month old. space is definitely tight, but for us having a big chunk of land & a tiny house is much more ideal than a big house squashed into the suburbs. when the money falls out of the sky, we would love to build a bigger house. BUT, still quite small. it feels cozier that way. helps keep things simple. so it all depends on where your priorities are. we certainly couldnt live here with 4 kids either! and as our family expands we'll have to come up with more creative ideas on how to make the space work....

mama to 2 busy boys (may 2007 & december 2008)
#8 of 75 Old 11-04-2008, 01:33 AM

Right now we're living w/my DH's parents, in a 1200 sqf '50s era house; there are 2 tiny bedrooms, & 1 slightly larger one with a bathroom - the other bathroom is in the hall. The IL's have 1 bedroom, the other one is computers/office/storage, & the one w/the bath attached has the 4 of us in it (it used to belong to DH's 2 sisters, the office used to be his room). The LR is also the playroom, & the kitchen is pretty small, with a sort of nook w/a table. The washer, dryer, & our refrigerator are in the garage. The kids spend a lot of time in the back yard/back porch, which is fenced, & includes sandbox, wading pool, veggie garden strip, small herb garden, & chicken pen.

: : SAHM to : (5/06), : (7/07) Plus : & a few
#9 of 75 Old 11-04-2008, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmom View Post
264 square feet
We live in our 5th wheel with our 4 young kids. Someday a 900 square foot house will feel like a mansion!!!!!
Wow! DH's parents lived like that for a while. But they lived on a farm so it worked out okay. Kids played outside when it was warm. Well. Even when it was cold.

We live in about 800 sq feet. I would like bigger rooms. But I don't need them.
#10 of 75 Old 11-04-2008, 04:02 AM

We have a 1400 sq ft farm house with 3 bedrooms. I wish the living room was a bit bigger. when we all want to watch a movie, it is crowded. On the other hand it is easy to heat the living areas with our wood stove. The bedrooms stay appropriately cool. We do have a separate finished space that holds our pantry and freezer. Our 18 year old son who is attending University is living out there right now but, he grew up living inside and still spends a lot of time in the house (mostly just sleeping out there). I wouldn't want to go smaller and have to give up my wall of books and I do wish our bathroom was bigger.

Blessings,
~Traci

~Traci, wife to DH 4-88. Mom to 3 homebirthed sons, 22,20&17

The Blue Door Farmhouse & traci.mymomentis.biz

#11 of 75 Old 11-04-2008, 04:11 AM

Definitely not tiny by any means, but I love our 1100 sq ft home. I think it's laid out quite well and minimal wasted space (ie the hallway has a tall bookshelf and a scotch chest in it in a part that is wide and it's quite a short hallway). Main downfalls are that there is only a small linen cupboard and one cupboard for pantry overflow, laundry items, preserved foods, stationery/filing etc. I love that our home has a large deck off the lounge, so it definitely makes the lounge seem really large (the lounge is big actually quite big in proportion to the rest of the house and the bedrooms quite small and we don't have a foyer at the front door - it walks right into the dining room!). We're on almost 1/4 acre, so the section makes up for the small house I think too.

We're comfy and cosy here and no plans for going bigger.

It's a Delight-Filled Life.
 computergeek2.gif 

#12 of 75 Old 11-04-2008, 04:24 AM

Ours is 1700 sq feet which is large by some standards but it's not that big. Most of it is a greatroom, a central room with our kitchen, livingroom, and dining area all together. To one side of that is our room and to the other side is a bedroom and an office (the office is now dd2's room but there is no closet and it's a small room). The room suits our needs but we could not go any smaller. Especially since my IL's come from India for extended visits and then we have 2-3 more people living with us.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#13 of 75 Old 11-04-2008, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htcamommy View Post
Girl, I too have 4 kids and we are moving out of our 1300 sqf suburb house & into our 2700 sqf farm home. I am LONGING for the room. I love & respect all you moms making it work in those 350sqf apartments but I get to stressed out! Let me ask you this, how old is your house? During Hurricane Gustav I stayed in a home that was very new & 3000 sqf. I never stopped cleaning. 4 bathrooms, double sinks in the master, seperate shower & jacuzzi tub, kitchen sink, bar sink, laundry sink etc etc... Having big rooms doesn't create extra work ( okay yeah there is more room for dust & vacuuming) but all these new accessories certainly does. I personally don't need anymore toilets to stick my hand in twice a week or sinks to scrub out my kiddo's dried on toothpaste.
I love your post!

I agree about the wasted extras. We have two sinks in our bathroom. One started leaking underneath and dh simply turned it off and we don't use it. We only use one bathroom for all four of us because it's too hard to clean two showers/baths when I can only clean one. We use our garden tub in our bathroom as the place where I keep my parakeets. I put a little table in the tub and their cage on top. The sun comes in just right and they are happy there, and the tub catches all their seed hulls and feathers so I just have to vacuum it out. I haven't sat and soaked in that tub since I was pregnant with my dd2.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#14 of 75 Old 11-04-2008, 10:57 AM

i think a good layout is just as important as size. flexible rooms have been nice. when we realized that we could put the dining room table in the huge living room space, we created a playspace for the girls. that playspace houses all the toys and some crafts for them and the diaper changing station with drawers for their clothes. since we have two floors, this is nice to have a change of clothes and diapers/wipes handy. it's connected to the kitchen and can be seen from the living room. they don't feel alone or isolated. i like to keep an eye on them while making food.

speaking of kitchens, we have a counter below the window that the girls sit on while we're making food. it's such a great piece of space so they are not underfoot. they can help stir and mix and get me a bowl from the cupboard.

i feel like our house is too big sometimes though. it's about 1650 sq feet. 3 BR, 2BA. we used to hosts people from out of town and throw a lot of get together but not so much lately.

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
#15 of 75 Old 11-04-2008, 11:05 AM

We live in 675 sq ft and there are 2 adults and 4 kids. We are planning to add on and end up wit just under 1000 sq ft. I love our little house.
#16 of 75 Old 11-04-2008, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, some of you are living in tiny houses!! I was thinking ideally under 600 sq ft, the smaller the better. How to you manage in under 300sq ft? Do any of you have any pictures of your under 600 sq ft homes to share?

Cheers,

Lyn
#17 of 75 Old 11-04-2008, 10:42 PM

We live in 875sq ft with 5 people. The overall size if fine, my only wish, is that we actually had an extra bedroom or a finished basement. Sometimes everyone just needs their own space. I like to listen to the radio and the kids all screaming and playing the LR in the winter when I can't send them out... it's gets on my nerves sometimes. I wish I could send them all to the basement to play or something. Or I wish everyone could have their own room, mostly though because my 2 boys are 9 years apart, a 10 year old doesn't really like to keep company with a 1 y/o, KWIM? I can't keep the baby's things in his room because ODS likes to go in there to sit on the floor and read, and the baby would be climbing on him, etc. Even if they were tiny rooms, I think ODS would like to have his own space to close his door on the world every once in a while.
#18 of 75 Old 11-04-2008, 10:51 PM

1 adult, 0 kids, 2 dogs, 1 chinchilla, 1 hamster

168 sq. feet

It is tiny! It's a studio apartment. It has a little bathroom (toilet and shower, no sink in bathroom), tiny kitchen, with miniture fridge and stove. I love it!

~Dawn

Blah blah blah
#19 of 75 Old 11-05-2008, 03:31 PM

1700 sq. feet with four of us and two cats.....PLENTY of space and oftentimes wish for something smaller. someday, for sure!
#20 of 75 Old 11-05-2008, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by didelphus View Post
Ours is 1200 sq ft. Not tiny but it feels pretty tiny sometimes!
We have 1100 or 1200 upstairs plus a basement, which is partially finished. Most of our living space is upstairs, tho. The only thing that feels crowded is the bathroom. I wish we had a second bathroom upstairs. We have one downstairs, but it's cold and the litter box is in there so no one wants to use it.

It's also feeling more crowded as the girls are getting older.

Wendy - mom to dd1(11), dd2(7), dd3(3)
#21 of 75 Old 11-05-2008, 04:30 PM

isn't it all relevant? the smaller the better!! everyone knows that!
#22 of 75 Old 11-07-2008, 03:24 PM

DH and I live in a 900 sq feet home. It would be fine for the two of us BUT we have 2 dogs, one large, one little AND we live in town so we have like no yard hardly. If we lived in the country and more outdoor space It would be a bit easier. But we love it.
#23 of 75 Old 11-07-2008, 04:20 PM

The three of us plus one cat live in a 1100-1220 sq foot house in an old urban neighborhood (http://www.flickr.com/photos/archymommy/sets/). It feels huge to me because we used to live in a less than 600 sq foot apartment. Our house has three bedrooms and one bath, a small urban lot and no garage. I don't consider my house "tiny" - it might be considered small, but I think it's just right!
#24 of 75 Old 11-07-2008, 05:38 PM

We just moved a few months ago from our 2600sq ft monster to a wonderful 1750sq ft dream house. Its a cape cod from the 40's, lovely little place! DH and I (and the baby) sleep upstairs, and the boys have their bedroom downstairs. We use the other downstairs bedroom as a playroom for now, but when Fleur gets older that will be her room. This house has a good layout and doesn't feel cramped at all!
#25 of 75 Old 11-07-2008, 05:55 PM

We live in a 923sqft house. A big bedroom (which is our study/closet), a tiny bedroom (where DH, DS, and I sleep), a tiny bathroom, living room, and kitchen.

It's a great size for us now, and I can see us making it work for a LOOOOOOOOOONG time, no matter how many kids we have. The basement also has finish-able potential (can anyone say "master suite??"), but that's not anytime soon.

We wish we had more land, though. Our front yard is 20x15, and the back yard is 20x50. We're trying some small-scale homesteading, so we'll see how that goes.

Oh, we also have 3 cats and a dog, so no matter what, this place is cozy. You always have animals on top of you!

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#26 of 75 Old 11-07-2008, 09:17 PM

three of us in 580 sq. ft one bedroom "converted" into a two bedroom.

the living room is a nice size so we bought a HUGE shelf that is meant to be a room divider in the seconds section @ ikea (score!!), filled it with records and books so it feels like a wall, sort of.
couch, chair, record player, etc on one side. other side is a lofted bed and an office underneath.
ds has the bedroom. he slept with us until last year. he sleeps in a low loft, there is a play area under it. our dresser and his is in his bedroom, plus one closet for hanging clothes.

we miss family bed. and ds seems to miss it the most, he often wants to sleep on the couch so we are at least in the same room. our loft is too high so i wouldn't want to introduce him being allowed to climb up there (he actually has never tried thankfully, for safety sake).

we aren't ready to sell, the market isnt worth it yet...and we'd like to pay off some debt.
i'm not sure what we will do when we have another little one. because at least for the first years we would sleep with him/her.

any thoughts?!?

2004 2009
#27 of 75 Old 11-08-2008, 04:05 AM

560 sq. ft.
Which consists of:
Kitchen/dining/living room are all one big room, which is nice
TINY bathroom that is like 3'x6' it's the only part we complain about and only has a small stall shower, short "hall" area that has the washing machine, a closet that is identical to the bathroom (holds the water heater tank, clothes & junk)
and 2 bedrooms that are exactly 9'x9'

The only problem is lack of storage for things like camping equipment and seasonal blankets, and the bathroom is a little cramped. We hope to get a storage shed/outbuilding to hold our lawn equpment, tools and camping gear. I had a weed eater in my kitchen for a while this summer

oh, ETA: It can be kindof hard to find small, apartment sized furniture. We had to give away our dining room table when we moved in because it was too big. We have a 1970's orange love seat that I got from my parent's basement, it's on it's last leg (literally one broke so I took the other 3 off), but it's so hard to find the right size replacement.
#28 of 75 Old 11-09-2008, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traci mom23boys View Post
We have a 1400 sq ft farm house with 3 bedrooms. I wish the living room was a bit bigger. when we all want to watch a movie, it is crowded. On the other hand it is easy to heat the living areas with our wood stove. The bedrooms stay appropriately cool. We do have a separate finished space that holds our pantry and freezer. Our 18 year old son who is attending University is living out there right now but, he grew up living inside and still spends a lot of time in the house (mostly just sleeping out there). I wouldn't want to go smaller and have to give up my wall of books and I do wish our bathroom was bigger.

Blessings,
~Traci

Hey! Did I just write this post and forget?

Nah, I guess it's not me, because I would add : I want more space! lol 800 square feet. Master bedroom , and family room/kitchen combo. With a cooking fireplace. To bake bread...and all.

We love our land, and the area, but we have lots of people over a lot, and a bigger kitchen/family area would be total icing on the cake. Summer time we party outside, winter, it's a bit crowded.
#29 of 75 Old 11-09-2008, 01:19 AM

400-something floating square feet indoors, the whole briny sea outdoors.

But much bigger than our previous boat!

Mama to Zach 6-18-04 & Naia 10-13-10 Partner to the sweetest DH. Loving our life afloat. TV Free!
#30 of 75 Old 11-09-2008, 10:22 PM

currently living in 2200 sf, approx - 2 adults, 2 kids, baby on the way, 3 rabbits, 1 cat, 1 chinchilla, 1 pet rat ... nice size lot, 100 year old house, recently remodeled, 4 bedroom, 2 bath, 2+ car garage ... but it's TOO BIG. We actually "live" in less than half of it. the rest is cluttered with boxes from never unpacking 5 years ago. Girls share one bedroom.

We're "finishing" the house now to sell it - plan to put the house on the market in February. I'm painting the whole thing, and that's quite a task. We are planning to buy an RV trailer and move to life on the road. I'm so excited by the idea of having a teeny tiny space. I've never even lived in an apartment! After life on the road, we think we'll settle down somewhere in the northwest, buy or rent something very small. My preference is small house, big yard.

Now, what *I* want to know is *how* to live in something so small! Any tips from those in the super-small homes?

--janis

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page