Lexapro (and other SSRI's) during pregnancy - Mothering Forums

#1 of 6 Old 11-17-2008, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi! I'm currently on 10mg Lexapro, and it's working wonders for my obsessive thought disorder. I would like to continue taking it, but my husband and I would also like to consider a 3rd child. I understand that the risks of taking it during a potential pregnancy, especially during the third trimester, would be pulmonary problems for the baby, and that is scary to me. Also, I would be breastfeeding the baby, so he/she would be getting the drug through my breastmilk as well.

I understand that Zoloft and Prozac are supposedly two of the safest, but that might only be because they've been studied more than the others. I also know that Paxil is definitely not something that should be taken during pregnancy.

So... what have you heard, what links do you have, what has your experience been when it comes to Lexapro and pregnancy?

Mom to dd (8), ds (6), and dd (1)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 11-21-2008, 08:46 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Hi! I'm glad to hear it's working for you. I started taking 10mg just before we conceived #3 for severe pms and a bit of ocd. It had really worked for me, but I was concerned, too. So, I got an appt. with a reproductive mental healthy psychiatrist at our women's hospital. I had a whole hour to go over the risks and benefits with her. I really felt that she did not push it one way or another, that she really just laid out the facts and allowed me to make the decision of whether I should stay on it or go off of it.

The conclusions were: that 10mg is a very low dose; pregnancy causes a lot of hormonal shifts and can make you more prone to depression, particularly in the transition between 2nd and 3rd trimesters; while it has been discounted by subsequent studies, the only ill-effect ever suggested was that the baby may be more at risk of experiencing withdrawal which would mean 24-48hours of slightly more fussiness. Breastfeeding is not a worry, she said.

So, I decided to stay on it. I am so glad I did because I'm really feeling the hormonal imbalance, but I've been able to keep it together. I am 19 weeks pg.

Good luck!
#3 of 6 Old 11-21-2008, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your response! At this point, I'm leaning towards staying on it if we get pregnant, or possibly slowly trying to wean down to 5 mg.

A reproductive mental health psychiatrist sounds cool! I do not like my psychiatrist much, and I felt he wasn't as educated as I'd have liked about the risks during pregnancy. I've learned a lot more doing research on my own. (I'm in the process of seeking a new psych anyway, since he doesn't accept our insurance, and it's $$ to pay out of pocket, especially for someone I don't love.)

Mom to dd (8), ds (6), and dd (1)

#4 of 6 Old 12-07-2008, 01:36 PM

i took lexapro all thruout my pg w/ my ds. nursed my dd from 9 mos. on lexapro til she was 4.5... they are healthy happy kids.
#5 of 6 Old 12-09-2008, 02:23 AM

I took 10 mg. of lexapro during hte early part of my pregnancy. I ended up having a lot more problems and mentioned something to the OB. He said my blood volume had doubled (I had twins) and that people with SSRIs often need to increase their dose during pregnancy. (I dont' know if he meant just with multiples or not). Anyway, I increased to 20 mg. and the difficulties subsided. Personally, I was glad I stayed on it because I skipped post-partum depression, which I was at a horribly high risk for. I still nurse my 40 month old twins while taking lexapro. My children haven't experienced problems with it. In my case, I have PTSD and if I was having a lot of difficulties with it, my children/babies would have sufferred a lot, so for me, lexapro was well worth the risk but ended up harmless.
#6 of 6 Old 12-09-2008, 12:35 PM

i upped my lexapro at times but it never helped...if anything i got more agitated but that could have been the stress i was dealing w/... i also got PPD real bad this time around as well. but...again...i was dealing w/ BIG TIME stress both times after having my babies...so, its hard to say what is chemically related and what is situational for me.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page