Paxil?! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-18-2008, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just started on Paxil. I am a little nervous because I have never been on it before. I am on 20MG right now for severe anxiety and depression. I have been on Zoloft off and on for about 8 years and didn't have many side effects on it but I didn't feel like it really worked for me. Are there any big side effects with Paxil that I need to look out for? I heard that it causes weight gain which I am panicked about since I am already over weight and want to start losing weight. Is there anything I can do to avoid that weight gain? For most people that gain weight on it is it just a small amount? When I was on Zoloft I either lost weight or maintained since it caused me to lose my appetite. Also on Zoloft I totally lose my sex drive is this common for anti-depressents? Any thoughts would be appreciated as I don't know much about Paxil. My Dr. thought Paxil might be affective for me since I suffer from Social anxiety and GAD and that leads to my depression.

Student/Working Mama notes.gifgeek.gif
to DD 1dust.gif & DD 2energy.gif & engaged to DFpartners.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2008, 03:40 AM

Information about weight gain and Paxil:
http://www.ocfoundation.org/organize...os-V003_06.php

I didn't experience weight gain on Paxil. The hard thing about Paxil for me was weaning off. Other than that it helped me a lot.

Information on dealing with the sexual effects. http://www.dr-bob.org/tips/split/SSR...sfunction.html I found that because Paxil clears the system so quickly I could take little day or so long (week-end) breaks from it. Paxil does have issues with withdrawal so for some people Paxil breaks may not work but the did for me.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

Old 11-26-2008, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info! I am liking it overall so far. I just want to make sure I don't run out as I have heard going off it cold turkey is a very bad idea but I am sure going off any anti-depressent cold turkey is a bad idea. I did that with Zoloft and I had horrible withdrawls.

Student/Working Mama notes.gifgeek.gif
to DD 1dust.gif & DD 2energy.gif & engaged to DFpartners.gif

User Tag List