Thanks

E Veg*n Mom to ds 6 : dd 3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 11-20-2008, 05:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was on Paxil for years without any problems--it worked well for me with no weight gain. I liked it.

When I weaned from it though it was bad. Because of that I won't try that one again. There are other choices. I've weaned from three different SSRI's and never had anything at all like the Paxil experience.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#3 of 7 Old 11-20-2008, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

#4 of 7 Old 11-21-2008, 02:32 AM

This was seven years ago that I weaned so some I've forgotten.

What I haven't forgotten is the sensations of electricity zapping through my head frequently. Horrible. Often it would be followed by a brief period of vague dizziness. And I was one of the unfortunate ones that had that symptom continue for long after I had fully weaned off the medication (though much less frequently). I think that is rare and the withdrawal stuff normally goes away with a few weeks of stopping.

I had no major issues weaning from Prozac (not one I recommend for other reasons), Celexa, and Zoloft. My sister had a very hard time weaning from Effexor which is a different sort of med and not a good choice anyway. In general I read more about the weaning from Paxil and Effexor than the others. Effexor is different and notorious for bad withdrawal. But among the SSRI drugs the amount of withdrawal is mediated by the half life of the medication--or how quickly it clears your system. http://www.ascp.com/publications/tcp/1997/oct/ssri.html Paxil is very fast.

I sort of hesitate to say this because untreated depression/anxiety/OCD is very serious for us and for our kids and families. So I'd rather a person go on Paxil than not get treatment for what is going on. You'll feel so much better within a very short while on the medication. You'll feel like yourself again. Paxil was a very good medication for me in terms of helping my issues. It wasn't until trying to go off that I came to dislike Paxil. If I was doing it again and knew what was going to happen I would try switching directly to Celexa and then weaning from Celexa. Or a person could switch to Prozac and maybe not experience any withdrawal symptoms at all. So there is a work around.

On the weight gain.
http://www.ocfoundation.org/organize...os-V003_06.php Here's a little on weight gain on SSRI's that might give you information. It talks about why it happens and which SSRI's cause it (and which don't). Paxil it looks like does have a higher risk of weight gain than the others. I didn't experience weight gain with any of the SSRI's I tried.

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#5 of 7 Old 11-21-2008, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbgrace View Post
What I haven't forgotten is the sensations of electricity zapping through my head frequently. Horrible. Often it would be followed by a brief period of vague dizziness.
That's what was hard for me, too. Those electric pulses were awful. And, honestly? I went off paxil while pregnant with my now 3 year old, and I still get them sometimes . I will never take it again, but it did me a lot of good while I was on it.
#6 of 7 Old 11-21-2008, 02:42 AM

Jeri,
I had them periodically for years too.

I can't remember the last time so for me it did eventually go away.

#7 of 7 Old 11-21-2008, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

I have a lot to think about and look over, and i'm going to talk to my doctor some more. Thank you all for the information.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page