Switching to Wellbutrin XL - Mothering Forums
Mental Health > Switching to Wellbutrin XL
RainbowEarthFaerie's Avatar RainbowEarthFaerie 11:52 PM 11-21-2008
I've been taking Zoloft off and on for a year. It doesn't seem to be helping AT ALL anymore, so today my dr prescribed 150mg Wellbutrin XL. I've been researching side effects, and everything I've read says that the Wellbutrin will basically kill me with side effects. I had no se at all with the Zoloft, so what should I expect now? Some people love it, some hate it, but I was just curious on what side effects people have. I mean, the ones that you read about in the pamphlet aren't necessarily the ones that people really get. Thanks in advance.

JuniperMama's Avatar JuniperMama 12:52 AM 11-22-2008
I have been on Wellbutrin XL for quite a while. I switched to Wellbutrin from Zoloft. Works WAY better for me. No real side effects to speak of. I'm on 300mg. HTH.
RainbowEarthFaerie's Avatar RainbowEarthFaerie 01:01 AM 11-22-2008
Thank you. I'm glad to hear that it works well for you.
Shirada's Avatar Shirada 01:09 AM 11-22-2008
Maybe I am not the best person to post since I have only been taking 150mg of Wellbutrin XL for 8 days now. So far no side-effects whatsoever. A friend says the same thing and she has been taking it for a couple of months now and apparently someone she knows also has zero side-effects but it is working well as an antidepressant. I have taken Zoloft in the past, (for 18 months) with minimal effect in treating my depression. I am hopeful for Wellbutrin because I already notice a slight lift in energy, less irritability and a little more patience, and that is after a week and a beginning low dose.
RainbowEarthFaerie's Avatar RainbowEarthFaerie 01:13 AM 11-22-2008
Well, I was supposed to start it today, but I'm going away for the weekend and was warned that I might have some really bad side effects the first few days. I am afraid to take it if I'm going to have the bad effects.
Shirada's Avatar Shirada 01:42 AM 11-22-2008
Was it the Dr. who warned you of serious side-effects? I ask because I find that very surprising. One of the reasons Wellbutrin is preferred is because in most cases, the side-effects are virtually non-existent. That is the reason I wanted to try it over Prozac, which I have taken in the past with good effect in treating the depression but I did not care for the side-effects.
RainbowEarthFaerie's Avatar RainbowEarthFaerie 01:56 AM 11-22-2008
No, it wasn't my Dr that warned me. It was my mom. I guess there are a few people at her work that take it and they had some pretty bad side effects. She said that she didn't want me spending my first weekend "away" with a migraine and my head in the toilet.
MoonWillow's Avatar MoonWillow 12:20 PM 11-22-2008
I take that, the generic version. I do think I had some dizziness and nausea but it didn't last forever. I did read that the generic version may not work as well and it did take a good 20 days to feel any helpful effects but even that was so mild that I think if I stay on it, we will have to increase it.
I am very med sensitive too (so I am told).
Surfacing's Avatar Surfacing 11:32 PM 11-23-2008
I am also med sensitive and switched to Wellbutrin SR from Prozac when it pooped out on me. So far I'm on 200 mg and the only side effects I've had are dry mouth sometimes and that's about it.
Ammaarah's Avatar Ammaarah 11:38 PM 11-23-2008
I used to take Wellbutrin XL and the only side effect I had was ringing ears. I had it every day (and I have it on regular Wellbutrin too.) It was only noticeable in the, er, two seconds of real quiet I experience a day, though.

I hope it works well for you, it did wonders for me.
Mamato3wild ponnie's Avatar Mamato3wild ponnie 11:58 PM 11-23-2008
I used to take Wellbutrin and if the dosage is to high it will cause anxiety..but other than that i didnt see many side effects...i lost alot of weight when i was on it. My dad was on it and he had the ringing in the ears at night...he got a air purifier to have white noise so he could sleep better.
eggsandpancakes's Avatar eggsandpancakes 01:58 PM 11-24-2008
let's see, I've lost weight, sleep better and don't wander around drowsy all day, I seemed to have stopped yelling as much, and I still feel like me. If I miss a dose it takes ALL DAY for the headache to show, and a pill and a cup of coffee later I'm fine.
Sileree's Avatar Sileree 09:50 PM 11-25-2008
I'm on Wellbutrin, no real side effects except if I take it too late its harder to sleep at night. Not a big problem, I just take it when I get up.
RainbowEarthFaerie's Avatar RainbowEarthFaerie 09:52 PM 11-25-2008
Well, I started taking it Sunday night after I got back, and I haven't had any problems at all so far. :
Surfacing's Avatar Surfacing 11:46 PM 11-30-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinahiggins View Post
let's see, I've lost weight, sleep better and don't wander around drowsy all day, I seemed to have stopped yelling as much, and I still feel like me. If I miss a dose it takes ALL DAY for the headache to show, and a pill and a cup of coffee later I'm fine.
I missed a dose (Wellbutrin SR) this morning and took it tonight. I was irritable all day until I took my dose - wondering if this irritability/impatience is due to withdrawal or my old mood peaking through or just coincidence. Anybody know? Sorry, not meaning to hijack but since we're on the subject.

OP how are things now with your meds? Hope all is well.
MoonWillow's Avatar MoonWillow 04:36 PM 12-01-2008
I just increased my dose and I am having trouble sleeping. Its rough too because I am exhausted. I just increased my Abilify too though so I am not sure which one is giving me trouble. :
Masel's Avatar Masel 04:54 PM 12-01-2008
I was on Wellbutrin and had light vaginal bleeding the entire time. I stopped for a week, the bleeding stopped. I tried it again and had the same result. There is one case report of this happening in PubMed. Other than that it was great!
MoonWillow's Avatar MoonWillow 08:52 PM 12-01-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masel View Post
I was on Wellbutrin and had light vaginal bleeding the entire time. I stopped for a week, the bleeding stopped. I tried it again and had the same result. There is one case report of this happening in PubMed. Other than that it was great!
Ok I need to read more about this. My AF's have been out of control. My dd weaned a few months ago and I thought it was from that but this didn't happen with my first child.
I had light bleeding for a long time and then extremely heavy for a long time. Yikes. I am actually going to the midwife next week to talk about it.
Autumn Breeze's Avatar Autumn Breeze 11:39 PM 12-01-2008
as bad as it sounds, I was having heavy 8 day periods last year, and that was with out increasing my medication. I increased it, and it got heavier. But at the time my sanity, and happiness was way more important than my period, and all that goes with it. I DID become anemic, and I was taking chlorophyll for months to no avail. I finally got tested to see how low it was, and it wasn't THAT bad but enough to make me tired, and honestly a bit weepy, so I did a round of Floridix, and figure it must have gone up because I was sleeping better, and not so groggy and weepy.

after a while the af's got better, though it may be because of another medication I added, (right now I don't care lol) but if your midwife suggests that it may be medication induced you'll have to ask yourself if you can handle the consequenses that come with a longer heavier period or if you want to try to adjust your meds. For me I NEEDED to go from 100 to 150 mgs of Lamictal and when theygot heavier backing down was totally out of the question (dh suggested it) I just couldn't take the gamble of going backto depression.

It sucks.
MoonWillow's Avatar MoonWillow 12:14 AM 12-02-2008
So its not only Welbutrin that causes the heavy flow...
Autumn Breeze's Avatar Autumn Breeze 01:45 AM 12-02-2008
nope. Lexapro and Lamictal did it to me. I didn't take the wellbutirn long enough to know it's menstrual effects.
MoonWillow's Avatar MoonWillow 02:17 AM 12-02-2008
The Lamictal just about did me in.
Sileree's Avatar Sileree 06:49 AM 12-02-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherWren View Post
I just increased my dose and I am having trouble sleeping. Its rough too because I am exhausted. I just increased my Abilify too though so I am not sure which one is giving me trouble. :
Wellbutrin is known for insomnia as a side effect.
doublyblessed's Avatar doublyblessed 04:53 PM 12-02-2008
is wellbutrin ever used for bipolar rapid cycling/bpd or even ADD? i notice that this med seems to give people energy. i could stand to have some of that...i'd be so much better off w/ a med that gave me more energy and helped w/ the moodiness/rapid cycling, the depression, the agitation/irritability/raging...

i was on wellbutrin back in '95 after my boyfriend then OD'd and died. i had severe PTSD and saw spots/hallucinated on it but i think that was due to the PTSD, not necessarily the wellbutrin. i do remember having insomnia... so maybe i should try this one... what do u mamas think and how is it for nursing compared to lexapro and zoloft? hmmmm.
JuniperMama's Avatar JuniperMama 04:58 PM 12-02-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sileree View Post
Wellbutrin is known for insomnia as a side effect.
True - it can have a stimulating effect. However, if taken in the AM, that usually isn't a problem. I generally take 3mg of Melatonin each night at bed and have not had any problems getting to sleep.

I have not noticed any change in menstrual behavior since being on it and I've been on 300mg XR for like 2 years...
doublyblessed's Avatar doublyblessed 05:16 PM 12-02-2008
hey juniper mama...i'm here in bend, oregon where there are a LOT of juniper trees...you want to hear something funny, mamas?! when my ds' father came earlier this month to visit he smelled pee he said and i realized he was smelling the junipers here...he then said ohhhhhhhhhh that he'd thought that the guy next to him in the plane peed himself when they landed in central oregon. lol i said noooo that was the JUNIPERS!!! i said some people grow to actually enjoy the scent. : ah yes, laughter is so healing isn't it...

anyway............................................ ..............................good thing i don't worry about my periods as i'm nursing and my son is 12 mos. old now.
doublyblessed's Avatar doublyblessed 05:47 PM 12-02-2008
: the fnp at mental health here referred my mom to a local woman who is a fnp as well and specializes in psychiatric mental health. i left her a message... hopefully she knows what she is doing. my mother is going to pay for the appt. and come w/ me since she knows my/our history well also. i'm thinking now wellbutrin may NOT be my answer as it really messed w/ my mothers' short term memory and gave her severe dry mouth as well. my mom seems ok on lexapro now but i don't know... (she suffers from depression) anyway...............thanks mamas. we shall see how this goes and if this woman knows anything about bfing. i guess the lastest trend in mental health care is to Rx 3 things...an antideppressant, a mood stabilizer and anxity med...? hmmm. not sure i agree w/ that but ok. going to nap........................
MoonWillow's Avatar MoonWillow 08:48 PM 12-02-2008
Interesting DB what you say about the anxiety med as a third drug. I am currently on two, and was at the psych today and told her that my anxiety isn't well controlled. She told me to take Benadryl. I was a little surprised. Not thrilled that I had to wait an hour for a 10 minute appointment either. :
Surfacing's Avatar Surfacing 02:10 AM 12-10-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherWren View Post
Interesting DB what you say about the anxiety med as a third drug. I am currently on two, and was at the psych today and told her that my anxiety isn't well controlled. She told me to take Benadryl. I was a little surprised. Not thrilled that I had to wait an hour for a 10 minute appointment either. :
Don't you hate when they seem to just shrug you off?

I am taking Wellbutrin SR and am up to 300 mg plus 10 mg Prozac daily. I feel like I am constantly keyed up. I hate feeling on edge all the time. OTOH, I like having energy to do things and my thinking is clearer than it was when I was on Prozac alone.

I am angry with my pdoc because I have GAD and a history of anxiety and panic attacks. Why would she prescribe Wellbutrin when it does nothing for anxiety, in fact increases it?

I feel like I don't enjoy the relaxed feeling I used to get from nursing or cuddling with my little one. I used to feel sooo relaxed nursing her off to sleep. I don't know if this is because of the Wellbutrin or just stress? I think it's the meds. Does this pass? At least the crazy hair trigger anger has lessened for me. But my anger is still close to the surface. That's another reason I went on meds in the first place, I didn't like how my anger was affecting my relationship with my family, esp. dd1 and dh. And my pdoc prescribes this med to me that has a side effect of increasing irritability/anger? Grr.

I guess I could try switching meds AGAIN but I'm going to go back to work in January, and I just want to be stable on something before I go back. Sigh.


ETA - also I have felt like I have little flashes of feelings of hopelessness or despair the odd time. I think it's the meds too, maybe?

When I was on 200 mg I think it was better.... maybe I could do 200mg Wellbutrin and a little bit more Prozac. Anybody else do that? TIA Mamas, please help me feel some hope here.
Shirada's Avatar Shirada 03:45 AM 12-10-2008
Wow, Surfacing,
I cannot help you with your meds situation, because I am currently on a low start-up dose of Wellbutrin. But, boy do you have a wonderful way of describing exactly how I am feeling on Wellbutrin - you put my feelings into words that I was unable to do. Thanks . I also feel as though my hair-trigger anger has almost gone, but I have those flashes of feelings of hopelssness that you describe too. I am hoping that when I am on a regular dose, that will improve, although I worry about being even more constipated than I already am on the low dose, (sorry if that is TMI, but does anyone else have that as a side-effect?)
Up