Anyone bipolar on disability? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 22 Old 12-03-2008, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm thinking of applying for social security disability. I also called the state vocational rehab center this morning to request an assessment. Has anyone done this? I have mixed feelings about it, but DH seems to really think it's a great idea for me right now. My therapist has said I can't work, but I'm not sure how likely it is that anything will come of this. Just curious about your experiences.

It's us: DH , DS ; DD ; and me . Also there's the . And the 3 . I . Oh, and .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 22 Old 12-03-2008, 11:08 AM

My sister is bipolar and has been on ss disability for years. I think it's a lot of paperwork, but worth it for her since she cannot work.
#3 of 22 Old 12-03-2008, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My daughters first mom is on ss for bp disability. I was surprised at how quickly it came through for her -- you hear horror stories about how long it takes, and how many times people have to apply -- she applied once and within 2-3 months she got it.

I'd think it is worth a shot, at least?

(((hugs)))

#4 of 22 Old 12-03-2008, 08:42 PM

I was just wondering about this for myself.
#5 of 22 Old 12-04-2008, 02:56 PM

I was told when I inquired about it that if you hadn't worked enough SS credits you couldn't go on disability.

I've been a SAHM except for a brief 2 weeks of work here and there since I was 16. I can't hold a normal job even if I aspired to, but I also can't draw disability.

I'm not sure about these laws.
#6 of 22 Old 12-04-2008, 04:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I know that SSI can be hard to get and that they sometimes deny people who are entitled to it. I used to be a Service Coordinator and had to apply for people over and over. I've never been to a hearing (which is if you appeal their denial). My grandmother who has been a mental health advocate for years has been to court for people (including my paranoid schizophrenic uncle who was amazingly denied numerous times). Its no picnic.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 tea6.gif

#7 of 22 Old 12-04-2008, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

I contacted the local vocational rehab place, but the social worker there didn't call back. I'm going to try again tomorrow when I have time. If I could go through the rehab center for employment, that could work out rather than paying out of pocket for career counseling, which is another option.

I get an annual statement saying that what my disability would be if I were to qualify for it, so I think I worked enough before I got sick to qualify. I'm just not sure if they'd qualify me or say that I can work. The criteria seem very vague.

DH and I talked again, and I'm going to wait until I have therapy again to talk to him about the possibility and see what he thinks.

#8 of 22 Old 12-04-2008, 08:20 PM

Good luck. Don't take no for an answer.

tea6.gif

#9 of 22 Old 12-05-2008, 06:18 PM

I recently applied for SSD and was approved by SS within 2 months. The paperwork was a bit overwhelming for me but it is definitely worth it.

Of course, I've been hospitalized four times within the past 6 months due to my bipolar so they had no choice but to approve it. I gave them the names of at least six different doctors and four different hospitals that I've been in and it sailed through. I think it really helps if you have a couple different psychiatrists who have seen you and given their opinion that you are unable to work.

I also was working with voc. rehab. prior to my most recent hospitalization on going back to school but decided to suspend it until I am stabilized. I had to call them umpteen times before I could finally get signed up and had to really push myself on my worker to get anything done.

Good luck!
#10 of 22 Old 12-05-2008, 07:05 PM

i have heard that if your psychiatrists/therapists don't back you up on your being incapable/low functioning then you will most likely NOT get on ss. a psychiatrist i had said i'd have to be naked and homeless, on a street corner starting fights kind of thing to get on it...said its hard...i haven't been hospitalized since 1996...ever since i became a mother i'm cautious about how crazy i get in front of others...lol controlled rage. ah so manipulative sometimes, aren't we...

but really. i can't hold a job longer than say 7 months, so i don't know what is up...how the hell am i supposed to hold a job when i can't go longer than that...and i've had MANY a job. MANY a great opportunity for advancement, etc. i've self sabotaged and gotten pissed too often at my bosses/coworkers...

i had a revelation today...that maybe i'm NOT bipolar. maybe there isn't such a thing. or maybe its just cuz people in our lives growing up and as early adults/adults have given us messages/told us we are somehow incompetent of taking care of ourselves in one way or another...succeeding in one way or another...just a thought. ok so now that has created something called...borderline and bp. sigh...

i'm so frustrated.
#11 of 22 Old 12-05-2008, 07:08 PM

:
#12 of 22 Old 12-05-2008, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse95 View Post
I recently applied for SSD and was approved by SS within 2 months. The paperwork was a bit overwhelming for me but it is definitely worth it.

Of course, I've been hospitalized four times within the past 6 months due to my bipolar so they had no choice but to approve it. I gave them the names of at least six different doctors and four different hospitals that I've been in and it sailed through. I think it really helps if you have a couple different psychiatrists who have seen you and given their opinion that you are unable to work.

I also was working with voc. rehab. prior to my most recent hospitalization on going back to school but decided to suspend it until I am stabilized. I had to call them umpteen times before I could finally get signed up and had to really push myself on my worker to get anything done.

Good luck!
I think its more luck of the draw. My paranoid schizophrenic uncle has voices, visuals, was in and out of hospitals, either got himself shot or shot someone else (can't remember), walked to New Jersey (barefoot) from Phildelphia b/c he thought the mafia was after my mother...could go on and on lol. My grandmother had to fight it in court.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublyblessed View Post
i have heard that if your psychiatrists/therapists don't back you up on your being incapable/low functioning then you will most likely NOT get on ss. a psychiatrist i had said i'd have to be naked and homeless, on a street corner starting fights kind of thing to get on it...said its hard...i haven't been hospitalized since 1996...ever since i became a mother i'm cautious about how crazy i get in front of others...lol controlled rage. ah so manipulative sometimes, aren't we...

but really. i can't hold a job longer than say 7 months, so i don't know what is up...how the hell am i supposed to hold a job when i can't go longer than that...and i've had MANY a job. MANY a great opportunity for advancement, etc. i've self sabotaged and gotten pissed too often at my bosses/coworkers...

i had a revelation today...that maybe i'm NOT bipolar. maybe there isn't such a thing. or maybe its just cuz people in our lives growing up and as early adults/adults have given us messages/told us we are somehow incompetent of taking care of ourselves in one way or another...succeeding in one way or another...just a thought. ok so now that has created something called...borderline and bp. sigh...

i'm so frustrated.
Yea that sounds like my uncle, except he was still denied.

tea6.gif

#13 of 22 Old 12-05-2008, 11:27 PM

wow............................................... well this explains so many of the homeless and screwed up when we are forced to work and then we wind up quitting or getting fired...there is such a lack of support for the mentally ill...and so many of the food places expect the people who go there to become christian converts.........like the one by me. sigh............................... : i hate when i am stopped or drive by these guys sitting outside w/ signs saying 'i'm hungry' and i want to roll down my window and say 'hey man.............i may LOOK together but believe me.........i am NOT. i have a phone from my mother. i have a car from my past and my mother pays for my gas and repairs...i have nothing really. i am screwed up and i am hungry too.' sigh.

i have decided i think the pbs 'celtic woman' is stupid and they look like barbie dolls.
#14 of 22 Old 12-05-2008, 11:40 PM

its not impossible, you may just have to fight for it.

tea6.gif

#15 of 22 Old 12-08-2008, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
or maybe its just cuz people in our lives growing up and as early adults/adults have given us messages/told us we are somehow incompetent of taking care of ourselves in one way or another...succeeding in one way or another...just a thought. ok so now that has created something called...borderline and bp. sigh...

i'm so frustrated.
I'm sorry you're feeling so down. I actually had the opposite experience. I've had a number of advantages and have everyone telling me I would have a productive life. I'm supposed to be something. By the age of 28, I should be well on the way to a law firm partnership or becoming an ambassador. Seriously, that's the image I had, and I was headed there until the BP has become more than I can handle.

I do hear you on homeless people, though. DH and I are working on a couple of projects for the homeless population where we live. DH is a softie and feels for people who are homeless. I'm terrified that without him, that'd be me. I seriously don't know what I'd do if I didn't have him here. He recently told me he worries about what would happen if he died. He wants enough insurance that we wouldn't have to rely on me working to survive. Talk about hurt.

#16 of 22 Old 12-08-2008, 12:33 PM

actually i've had VERY mixed messages growing up and even as an adult...i'm incompetent to i'm soooooo 'special' and yeah...so i'm all messed up. i sabotage these great gifts of mine... and i'm sooo envious of others' doing my dream so to speak...musicians/singers/songwriters...photographers...sigh. oh well at least i haven't totally sabotaged motherhood or living in a really awesome place.
#17 of 22 Old 12-08-2008, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandiRhoades View Post
By the age of 28, I should be well on the way to a law firm partnership or becoming an ambassador. Seriously, that's the image I had, and I was headed there until the BP has become more than I can handle.
I realized after I wrote this that it probably sounds like manic grandiosity, so I want to clarify. Other people said these things to me. I didn't come up with them on my own. I realize now that the way the BP sabotaged me in terms of continuing my education past my bachelor's degree was that I'd convinced myself that i didn't need to study or work hard because I'm so awesome. I didn't know until very recently that's mania talking. I'm starting to believe the mania sabotages me as much or more than the depression.

#18 of 22 Old 12-08-2008, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
actually i've had VERY mixed messages growing up and even as an adult...i'm incompetent to i'm soooooo 'special' and yeah...so i'm all messed up. i sabotage these great gifts of mine... and i'm sooo envious of others' doing my dream so to speak...musicians/singers/songwriters...photographers...sigh. oh well at least i haven't totally sabotaged motherhood or living in a really awesome place.
Yeah, I get the "wasting your potential" line a lot now. Some of those people don't know the details of the BP. They're talking about being at home with my children as wasting my potential, though I admit (here anyway) that part of the reason I'm at home with the kids is because I can control my environment in a way that I can't with a regular job. I freelance, which works really well with BP most of the time.

You know, though, what's to keep you from pursuing your songwriting or photography on your own terms? You can pursue them part-time or as a hobby and not necessarily as a full-time gig. It's very hard for me to learn to live on my expectation instead of that of other people. I've had to learn that I can determine my own success, and for me, that's amazingly difficult.

#19 of 22 Old 12-09-2008, 12:51 AM

I so hear you. i feel like I'm spinning my wheels.... been like this for years. I have skills and am intelligent but can't even get through a semester of school now. Doing fine with my kids and glad of that, but i feel a reeal loss that I'm 36 and don't own my own house- a place of my own.
#20 of 22 Old 12-09-2008, 06:27 AM

i just feel like that mental helath illness is still such a taboo. if i went on disability for cancer it would be a pity party. but since i'm just plain nuts or its all in my head, i dont deserve help or sympathy. i should have my child taken away and be discarded. no surprise that most of the homeless people are mentally ill. i almost ended up there.
i'm functioning but really should not be working or so i feel. by the time i get home i'm exhausted, i cry myself to sleep, etc. but i'm afraid if i applied for perm disability they would take dd away from me. i almost lost her during the divorce because i was hospitalized twice and disablity for 7 months. i had to fight so hard in court to keep her as the mediator portrayed me as total incompetent person. never mind that i had been working the last 10 years and taking care off dd while my ex sat around on his ass and waited for who knows what. never mind that he drove me to a mental breakdown.

good luck...

single mama to DD 5.09
#21 of 22 Old 12-09-2008, 11:34 AM

eccomama I understand completley.
#22 of 22 Old 12-10-2008, 04:18 AM

Quote: