what is the difference betw all these 'disorders'? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 4 Old 12-06-2008, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ADD vs. ADHD
bipolar vs. rapid cycling bipolar (II or III)
generalized anxiety vs. social anxiety
borderline personality disorder
dependence personality disorder
major depression

i think i have all of these in one form or the other but could it just be 'one' of these things...is that possible??? i mean do any of these have all the symptoms of all of these, if that makes sense?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 12-07-2008, 10:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I have always had difficulty with labels. It was a big factor in why it took so long for me to seek treatment. It kind of slapped me in the face though that I am "textbook" bipolar II. I also get major depression but there is cycling involved. I often have anxiety and was diagnosed with ADD as a child. Many people have multiple diagnoses. It seems to be the more severe the disorder the more "labels" that can go along with it. Schizophrenics in particular often have many.
I think there is a lot of gray area with these disorders.I don't know how important it is to have your "type" figured out. I think its important in the sense that you get the kind of help that you need but if you are feeling good....
Just my :

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 tea6.gif

#3 of 4 Old 12-10-2008, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublyblessed View Post
ADD vs. ADHD
bipolar vs. rapid cycling bipolar (II or III)
generalized anxiety vs. social anxiety
borderline personality disorder
dependence personality disorder
major depression

i think i have all of these in one form or the other but could it just be 'one' of these things...is that possible??? i mean do any of these have all the symptoms of all of these, if that makes sense?
Hi,

I have ADHD, am a recovered borderline, have struggled with major depression in the past for a long time, had social anxiety disorder, and was misdiagnosed as bipolar, so I understand where you're coming from and why this is so confusing.

My non-professional, psych student opinion is that a clinician may think that most of those fall under borderline PD in some way. Impulsiveness, emotional lability (frequent mood swings/emotional instability), anxiety, difficulty in relationships, and depression can all go under the 'borderline' umbrella.

There's controversy about the DSM (the diagnostic manual used in psychology) and how it can be difficult to distinguish one disorder from another, so even experienced clinicians struggle with this sort of thing.

I think the best way to figure out what exactly you're struggling with is to find a psychologist/psychiatrist for evaluation. One of the popular tests is called the MMPI (consisting of lots of multiple choice questions), and that can often shed some light in situations like these.

As far as ADD versus ADHD, the distinction isn't of utmost importance. If you have symptoms of hyperactivity (which some feel includes talking fast, fidgeting, etc.), they'll usually say it's ADHD. I am not hyperactive physically at all, but I do talk quickly and fidget, so I was dx'd as ADHD. I'm dubious about that, but it doesn't matter much because the treatment is the same (adderall). Women/girls are more likely to have ADD than ADHD.

One of my personal pet peeves, related to my own situation, is when AD(H)D is misdiagnosed as bipolar (the hyperactivity, impulsiveness, etc. of ADHD is a consistent thing, unlike the mania of bipolar, which clinicians should know, but many fail to distinguish), or swept under the rug as a Borderline PD symptom, when it may not be. Borderline PD and ADHD often occur together, and have different treatment needs.

Anyway, I hope any of that helped at all, PM me if you need to talk or anything

Brea, married to my love, TTC #1

#4 of 4 Old 12-11-2008, 02:33 PM

It doesnt really matter as they are often treated the same way. And you treat the symptoms with mental illness, not the disorder.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page