anticipating an attack - Mothering Forums

#1 of 7 Old 12-10-2008, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey mamas!

So I need some help. I have had issues with anxiety in the past and used to take xanax when I would have an anxiety attack. I haven't had one in about 2 years. The thing that triggers them for me is being or feeling alone. My DH is out of town for work and will be gone for 2 nights. I am anticipating having one tonight. I can't take xanax if I have one because I am nursing my 7 month old DS. I went to the library today and got an anxiety workbook.... have never read one before. It really scares me to think about having one because I haven't had one since I have been a mama... I would like to have something in the house to "take" just in case. Anyone take any supplements for anxiety attacks? Any suggestions on avoiding one when you are anticipating it? Thanks ladies!

Julie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 12-10-2008, 08:40 PM

breathe. breathe. breathe...

have you tried kava? although not sure if you can take that while nursing...how old is your baby? i was Rx'd xanax when i was only about 2 mos pp and nursing by some dumb a** in the ER. i took it 2x at most...too scared to take it even on an as needed basis. now my son is a year and i wouldn't be as nervous to take it but i'd say if you needed to pop one while he is way it wouldn't be the worst you could do.

do u have someone you can call and talk to? do u have someone who will stay with you? i highly recommend counseling on a regular basis. and getting on something regularly for your anxiety...
hugs...know we are here for you mama. you will be ok.
#3 of 7 Old 12-10-2008, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter

never tried kava... I just got back from the heath food store and bought rescue remedy. Any experiences with this??

#4 of 7 Old 12-10-2008, 11:50 PM

from what you described, i'd recommend much more than just rescue remedy.

if indeed you truly have had awful anxiety attacks you need more than that such of remedy imho.

and counseling, like i said...it almost seems as if you are setting yourself up already in your mind...which could be a habit...or could be more of an imbalance in your brain...or could be building up into an anxiety attack...or all of the above...

i don't mean to diss your wanting to stay au natural but sometimes meds do help... i personally didn't want to go on meds as many of the mamas here...but...i have to say that for some 'dis-order' and 'dis-ease' within ourselves and our minds, meds help...and many are safe for our nurslings...the older they are the better off they are from any harm, fyi.

i never had luck w/ any herbal remedies...not even rescue remedy...but i have heard acupuncture helps when 'imbalanced' (but see, i've been 'imbalanced' for YEARS...and this constant change/chaos in my life hasn't helped me any), or yoga, or even ashwaghanda...fish oil...ummm...valerian root (not sure you can take that while nursing, either...and it can be sedating)...bach flower remedies...(although that is what rescue remedy is, a combo of some of those) and like i said, a good counselor...you could try any or all of those...and then some...and see if it helps.

you could keep yourself busy while dh is gone...hang w/ good friends, keep active...maybe even hang/sleep at a girlfriends or moms or something???

btw, my sons' middle name is bodhe...

i notice you are in sfo...there are so many great counselors/healers there...i used to live in marin and in sfo too. thinking of you mama. and whatever route you take on your journey right now, i support you!!! i know how scary and sad and frustrating it can be...

the great thing is you haven't had one of these anxiety attacks for 2 years. that is quite a while. you said you are 'anticipating one'...have you not ever been alone for 2 years, ever??? just try and take one moment at a time...one minute at at time...you are safe. you have your son...you will be just fine...did something happen to you, i wonder, where you fear being alone? or is this a trust issue...again, i highly recommend you find a good counselor who supports your values and your feelings etc all the way around... and do ur best not to give into that fear and let it fuel up into a fiery drama for yourself and your son. if it helps, let your precious son be your anchor tonight and tomorrow night...

sending lots of healing love your way...

:
#5 of 7 Old 12-11-2008, 01:48 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your support tonight- I am doing well so far, I have felt anxious all day long but it hasn't gotten out of control. Any time I have had a bad attack I was alone and it was night time, and no, I haven't been alone for a night in 2 years. I guess I do set myself up for it, maybe I do it so that I am ready and it doesn't just sneak up on me.

I have wanted to go to counseling for a while but have never done it. I have a lot of relationship issues. My anxiety all started when I was 21 and in a really bad relationship... I felt alone and trapped. The only way I have dealt with my anxiety has been with alcohol and taking xanax.

I could have gone and stayed at my sister's tonight but decided to face my fear. I can call and talk to dH if I need to, but he doesn't understand what anxiety is at all, he's never had it.

I guess this is a wake up call that the problem didn't go away in the last couple years and I need to deal with it.

Thanks again for your help, I needed it.
#6 of 7 Old 12-11-2008, 12:26 PM

how'd last night go? i hope well... : one down, one to go!

i also have major relationship issues...w/ men especially.

its hard not to try and conquer this all on our own, isn't it? i think we were made to be communal beings though...and i often will hibernate/alienate when i really crave community/help so awfully bad!

oh and you mentioned alcohol...hopefully you don't drink cuz that can throw you into a whole new state of mind and can make it so much worse...but you probably knew that already.

worried about you but know you are strong and can get thru this!!!
let us know how you are doing!

i'd still try the rescue remedy and see how you feel...but it may not prevent an attack and it may not help during one. but...it may. i dunno.

HUGS. is your son named bodi? i love this name. my sons middle name is bodhe, like i said, because i felt it looked better w/ our last name (spelled w/ the 'e' instead of the 'i'). i love what it means...awakening/enlightenment.
#7 of 7 Old 12-11-2008, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Last night was okay, I didn't have any anxiety attack... I took rescue remedy twice to prevent one... don't know if it helped at all.

BTW- my last name is Bodi. I didn't know the meaning until here on MDC. I think we pronounce it differantly though- with a long I.

Thanks again for the support:

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page